The mkiv Supra Owners Club

re-spray cost

lexsum

Yep, unbelievable prices, but I'd want to hear feedback 3 months after the job is done before committing any hard-earned!

To date I have never seen a cheap or even reasonably priced respray turn out in any decent quality. Only those that charge the upper end prices seem to turn out good results IME.

I also factor in the person giving response to their recommendation, some members I've met have posted up here saying how happy they are with the work and how perfect it is (and even recommended the place(s) to others), yet in real life the paintwork has been absolutely shocking. Some folks might be surprised which cars they are (others that have seen them might not ;) )

Oh, how so very true. There are few definitive things in life, but price / quality of paint jobs is one of them. After 35 years plus in the motor trade I have yet to see this, probably mythical, superb cheap repaint.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

friend has had his car painted he did most of the stripping of the parts , that was £1500, he said to me it was perfect so went up to see it and it was back in the shop the following day i found laquer blemishes on nearly every panel , ok im used to looking for defects , but when i showed him he wasnt a happy bunny , took the shop almost another week to sort it out .

i dont think theres anywhere down here now id recommend , everywhere seems to cheap probably undercutting to get the work then scrimping on the quality

Yep, unbelievable prices, but I'd want to hear feedback 3 months after the job is done before committing any hard-earned!

To date I have never seen a cheap or even reasonably priced respray turn out in any decent quality. Only those that charge the upper end prices seem to turn out good results IME.

I got mine resprayed about a year and a half ago from red to black. I had bought the car accident damaged so they also did a bit more than a straight respray as I wanted some of the panels aligned, doors de-locked, oem skirts on. Plus the mess of a previous diy spray job sorted out.

The cost of the respray was £1,300 I really can't complain. I had one issue with the rear bumper which was down to the previous owner's bodged DIY re-spray. However they fixed it FOC.

Whilst I do agree that in general you get what you pay for there are some good companies out there that don't cost the earth. The best thing to do is research the bodyshop have a look at other work they've done and speak to people who've dealt with them before.

As for the results..... pictures speak 1000 words ;)

http://www.jwwebdev.co.uk/Supra/Respray/13.jpg

http://www.jwwebdev.co.uk/Supra/Respray/10.jpg

http://www.jwwebdev.co.uk/Supra/Respray/11.jpg

http://www.jwwebdev.co.uk/Supra/Respray/16.jpg

Edited by JohnnyW (see edit history)

A member on here a few years ago was getting loads of work for resprays and everyone was saying how good he was, well I saw one of the cars over Phoenix that he had done and the finish was sh*te:( (He wasn't cheap either)

I did loads of research but it wasn't easy as even the expensive places can turn out crap jobs.

Mine wasn't trouble free, I agreed a cash price and the condition was they worked on it when they had less work on, it was

agreed that I got it back in six weeks and that eventually turned into 3 months :D The job they did was first rate though.

:blink:

Thats ridiculously cheap...where is doing that?

He owns a garage and getting the job done in cardiff, He knows the guys at Hyeline Performance, does allot of the paint jobs for them including the job on the orange honda nsx, they gave me the number, supra finally getting bodykit installed - re meshed and resprayed one colour starting this monday.:D:d

I had a colour change (black to midnight purple) last May. Glass out, blended trial rear, blended skirts. I had to strip the car myself (including glass) and then rebuild it when he was done. We agreed on £1500 and a max time of 2 weeks.

Only thing he didn't paint was the engine bay. I'm happy with how it turned out, even nearly a year later. No doubt the eyes of someone like Peter Richards will pick out bits that aren't 100% but overall I'm happy and thats what counts isn't it?

I also made sure I saw at least 6 of his full paint jobs on previous cars before commiting.

No doubt the eyes of someone like Peter Richards will pick out bits that aren't 100% but overall

I'd say 90% of respray jobs i've seen over the last few years have been crap :), and I can say that almost all of them were on the cheap as the customers were too tight to pay out for a good job :)

And it's not even the painters fault really as I'm sure they've given the customer a choice eg all windows out,trim off etc for x amount, or a blowover for half that price.

You can guess which the majority go for because as long as it's cheaper than anywhere else they can find (this goes with any trade) then most these days only care about PRICE! and quality (generally) just goes out the window. (I'm sure many in a trade on here get frustrated with this as the customer has a mate who will do it for far cheaper than your quote :rolleyes:)

And it wouldnt take long for a company to get a bad rep just because of the customers wanting the cheaper option and it's only the good company's imo who won't even give the option of cutting corners :)

There is a paint shop very close to me that did a full respray on a mk2 golf for trade money (£600), the owner did strip the car down for painting but the job was fantastic, it had been polished extremely well too so there are exceptions.

also there is a member on here that's had a full respray by my recommendation which has been done to a very high standard and he paid for that quality ;) and I'd expect to pay £2500+ for a good job :)

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

I have heard all the big speechs from Bodyshops over the years, yeah dont worry it will be perfect etc etc then pick it up and it has runs in the paint etc.

There is only one way am doing it i want to see work done before reasearching products he reccomends test them out see if they know there stuff

This is why i choose Si (Baldy) i have been watching hes work for a while and now he has his own place was a easy choice

He is not the cheapest but i think its cheap for the quality off his work am talking GVN and better quality

I will be happy to post up pics and my opinion when he is finished with it

He knows what i want from him nothing less than pefection he never gave me some big speach he just simply said i dont do it any other way:)thats what i like to hear

I'd say 90% of respray jobs i've seen over the last few years have been crap :), and I can say that almost all of them were on the cheap as the customers were too tight to pay out for a good job :)

And it's not even the painters fault really as I'm sure they've given the customer a choice eg all windows out,trim off etc for x amount, or a blowover for half that price.

You can guess which the majority go for because as long as it's cheaper than anywhere else they can find (this goes with any trade) then most these days only care about PRICE! and quality (generally) just goes out the window. (I'm sure many in a trade on here get frustrated with this as the customer has a mate who will do it far cheaper :rolleyes:)

And it wouldnt take long for a company to get a bad rep just because of the customers wanting the cheaper option and it's only the good company's imo who won't even give the option of cutting corners :)

There is a paint shop very close to me that did a full respray on a mk2 golf for trade money (£600), the owner did strip the car down for painting but the job was fantastic, it had been polished extremely well too so there are exceptions.

I totally appreciate what you're saying Tom, but for us people who cannot afford £5k for a spray job there has to be a happy medium. A decent job for a decent price, which is what I feel I got (and expected)

I'll be the first to admit my spray job won't be as 'good' as Mr Joe Bloggs down the street because he paid 4 or 5 times the amount I did, but I'm very happy with the result of my spray job that cost me a reasonable amount of money imo.

Who cares anyway, 1k or 5k, the front end will need redoing after 12months anyway :D

Some of the prices in this thread are ridiculous. Decent paint and laquer alone for a good respray can cost around £600-£800 depending on car size.... then the electric bill for the booth/compressor is not cheap....

No offence to any of the guys on here who do spraying for cheap and without a booth but spraying this time of year without any heat applied and i cant see the paint looking good for long.

But then again im not a sprayer..

Was that a local place?

Who was it?

Dont know of any decent place around here :D

theres a guy in hardingstone, who a m8 goes to, seen some of his work, just odd panels tho no full sprays

a friend of mine is in the process of moving premises but will be up and running next month...

and a guy who comes extremely well recommended, does alot of classic show cars etc but i still haven't tracked him down as yet, a m8 takes his old MG there, so just waiting for an intro, bit of a waiting list but meant to be top of his game..

I have paid around the £3,500 mark. Thats not including the engine bay, but was glass out, wings off, door stripped and removed, boot lid removed, rebuilding front bumper, side skirts, fitting trial rear (not blended) and having the calipers resprayed. I have been very fussy about the quality of the work, the paint and the finish.

To me I feel people often get confussed by what I might consider a blow over and a respray. A full respray at £1,500 as Ryan.G say would only just cover the materials and equipment costs. If its a mate I can understand but if its a company then they are either cutting corners or the quality is just not there. The test of a decent job is how much effort it takes to maintain the finish after the spray and the finish quality after a year.

I appreciate that many people can't afford these kind of costs but you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

Some of the prices in this thread are ridiculous. Decent paint and laquer alone for a good respray can cost around £600-£800 depending on car size.... then the electric bill for the booth/compressor is not cheap....

No offence to any of the guys on here who do spraying for cheap and without a booth but spraying this time of year without any heat applied and i cant see the paint looking good for long.

But then again im not a sprayer..

The guy i'm going to mixes his own paint using some sort of machine, works out pretty cheap for the paint at his end.

Never known of any paint costing £800, other than flip paints.. pearls etc etc etc. Looking on house of Kolor they seem to charge around $70 per litre, for candy's etc etc.

All being done in a bodyshop with booth/oven.

i appreciate cost v quality but there are many smaller companies who need the work and know if they quote £3k+ people will not bother, so they are forced to make economic choices such as lowering prices (but hopefully not standards!)

i appreciate cost v quality but there are many smaller companies who need the work and know if they quote £3k+ people will not bother, so they are forced to make economic choices such as lowering prices (but hopefully not standards!)

Full agree with you and no doubt there are many small companies willing to do the work with little or no profit. At the end of the day if you have seen their quality and are happy who can argue. The cost is almost irrelevant (to a point) its the finish that counts.