The mkiv Supra Owners Club

re-spray cost

lexsum

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had mine done recently, £2,400 panels off, glass out. I also replaced all the seals, new windscreen etc all of which I supplied. Paint (2 pack) was £800. All Waxoyled as well which was extra

So how many litres of paint is a full spray?

thats what i'm wondering. 800 seems an awful lot just for the paint. Especially at trade prices. I thought 3 litres did a car lmao.

I can't get my head round these paint costs. I thought paint was no more than 50 quid per litre, in fact i thought it was around 30.

Only read through a few of the comments on here, known people in the trade for a while, and from what i can see, pricing seems directly related to size and reputation of the body shop, which i guess is as it should be.

However this is not to say that a smaller less well know body shop will not do a first class job, i have know several that would make some of the big boys look rubbish!

Paint wise all this talk of silly prices, is mainly down to manufacturers, again the large high volume ones that are used buy the motor industry and big refinishers, tend to be the dearest and most consistent, which you would expect,

but IMX there are lots of others that still provide perfectly adequate products, at much cheaper prices.

But some of the cheaper variety may not be as high in solids and may require more coats.

Which is not always a good thing;) they may also not be as durable.

As most will know preparation and application is the real key to a good end result, and this is where a lot of the cost is generated, decent prep can take a long time.

IMO you should be able to get a perfectly reasonable respray for £1K and if you can find the right place, even half that.

I think i have previously mentioned that i did my respray myself on the cheap, including cheap paint, and it seems to be standing up very well considering it lives on the street, so even cheap paint can be good;)

I think it all depends on what type of paint it is you are using and which coat you are refering to? For example when my mate did mine he bought 4 litres of base coat, which was water based, and you pretty much use that out of the can, mixed with a little distilled (I think) water. If you were using a 2 Pack base coat it is mixed with thinner and goes a bit further.

I want to give mine a new coat of white to make it brighter/shinier - I hope I am not going to have to pay the amounts in this thread just for effectively an overcoat!!

Get it detailed :) you'll probably find it doesnt need repainting at all and it'll be a fraction of the price

Get it detailed :) you'll probably find it doesnt need repainting at all and it'll be a fraction of the price

True, I did not think of that, I will need a bumper respraying and patching up a few scrapes etc so I thought it would be easier to give it a freshen up all over

True, I did not think of that, I will need a bumper respraying and patching up a few scrapes etc so I thought it would be easier to give it a freshen up all over

The prep work for a "blow over" is still huge. Getting the little niggles sorted by a bodyshop then a good detail, from one of the guys on here i would say, would see it ship shape :D

Once my car is done i'm still going to get it detailed. A good detail beats factory paint by a mile.

I painted the the wide kit on my car front + rear bumper, front + rear wings, side skirts, thats over half the car, using 2 pack high build primer and 2 pack paint. Ive never painted anything like this before. I bought the paint from C&C car colours in Crawley for £160. I had a compressor and bought a gravity fed spray gun of ebay for £30. The finish is by no means perfect but then ive never painted a car and probably didnt even have the gun set up properly. I let it dry in a room with the temperature as high as i could get it. The time it took me and the cost of the paint/tools made me think that £2500 is a lot of money for the materials and time involved, sorry to any automotive painters on here but thats my opinion.

Considering what it cost me il probably rub it down and try it again until I get a good finish.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8817/photo0519cl7.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/5827/photo0523jz2.jpg

Guest pande

Gone on for a while this guys with so many differing opinion.

We use top paint by Standox at £75 a litre of which you wont use more than 4litres for the outer body even with poor coverage and lacquer at about £50 a litre of which you will use more than 3 litres.

Work it out and you will see the material cost isnt high its the labour and experiance that you are paying for. Some bodyshops take the piss and some are fair.

In my bodyshop im currently painting a Lambo Diablo full respray cost of £2500. A 993 Porsche full respray cost £1600. And these cars require the best possible results so like I said earlier the Supra should be in the region of £1500. Any more and you are paying for the bodyshops high overheads not the finish.

We use top paint by Standox at £75 a litre of which you wont use more than 4litres for the outer body even with poor coverage and lacquer at about £50 a litre of which you will use more than 3 litres.

Work it out and you will see the material cost isnt high its the labour and experiance that you are paying for. Some bodyshops take the piss and some are fair.

In my bodyshop im currently painting a Lambo Diablo full respray cost of £2500. A 993 Porsche full respray cost £1600. And these cars require the best possible results so like I said earlier the Supra should be in the region of £1500. Any more and you are paying for the bodyshops high overheads not the finish.

Exactly what i would expect mate. I just couldn't understand where the £800 for paint was coming from.

Take £500 for paint and call it a grand for labour and overheads. Anything more than that and your taking the piss, in my opinion. I can't see anyone working on a car for 40 hours solid and not managing a decent finish, let alone a professional.

where is your bodyshop based and what is the name?

So you will paint my car for £1500 right? Top job,glass out/dents repaired/any rust or scabs sorted/ No bad bits/runs/reactions/overspary/bits in basecoat? If so I will be using you when my car is at that stage. Will the cost differ much for glasurit? As I personally think standox is not a top paint choice.

Dave:)

For £1500 and a written guarentee of a perfect job (windows out, mirror finish, etc), I'll be shipping the car up there. Otherwise, lol.

:D I fear that his idea of perfect ain't like mine;)

Edit: Pics of the work being carried out on the Diablo and Porsche would be good.

Guest pande

Dave a full respray always incudes dents repaired/any rust or scabs sorted/ No bad bits. As for Runs, reactions, overspary, bits in basecoat come on dude I wouldnt have a Diablo or 993 in the bodyshop now if they were to appear. As for Glasurit we use their lacquer and it is one of the best but as for basecoat we mix our own colour from a Standox scheme and if required we can buy it in any brand.

Paul if any of my customers dont like the final finish I dont charge anyway. Never happened yet though maiby you can be a first lol.

Dave a full respray always incudes dents repaired/any rust or scabs sorted/ No bad bits. As for Runs, reactions, overspary, bits in basecoat come on dude I wouldnt have a Diablo or 993 in the bodyshop now if they were to appear. As for Glasurit we use their lacquer and it is one of the best but as for basecoat we mix our own colour from a Standox scheme and if required we can buy it in any brand.

Paul if any of my customers dont like the final finish I dont charge anyway. Never happened yet though maiby you can be a first lol.

Well you are going to be a busy boy. At those prices and with that assurance I take my hat off to you. :thumbs::respekt:

Dave:)