The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SMIC options out there?

JohnA

The SMIC CW does is quite cheap IMO - it's certainly well made and good quality, and drops straight into the existing mounting points without any aggro whatsoever. I would fully recommend it - I've had mine on for coming up to 2 years now and it's been flawless. It's also uprated over the original unit, and will be a brand-new item as opposed to a 2nd hand one. Personally, I'm surprised they're as cheap as they are - I reckon he could sell them at twice the price!

It costs less than a set of tyres and will last far longer.

They are cheap for what they are, and I honestly make VERY little on them. I have one left in stock... Whether the demand exists nowadays for it to be worth my while ordering the minum order quantity of six more i am undecided. as the MKIV gets cheaper it's harder to sell quality bits and bobs. I moving onto Skylines more and more as the later ones still have a fairly high value and people seem more inclined to spend the dough on them still.

Thanks for the kind feedback!

People seem more keen to wreck the handling with 19 inch rims and dodgy suspension in bizarre anodized colours than worry about a hard to see none bling I/C these days :)

To put prices in perspective have just had a Footwork / Arrows gearbox back from a full rebuild in a "new" secondhand casing. 38K UK pounds...plus VAT

Not yours then I take it?

One question I always meant to ask - at some point I'm hoping to go for a single conversion, but like you I hate the thought of making the car all 'bling' unnecessarily, so want to keep it as stealth as possible.

Would your SMIC be up to the demands of a not-silly single? I'll only be looking in the BL61 range so as to keep drivability, not a gigantic lag monster.

Chris,

If you were doing a fast road spec bpu Supra (or maybe even a small single) would you fit a front mount of any type or would you always go for one of yours? I'm talking about a front mount where the time was spent to duct it as best as possible and make all attempts to keep water cooling up to scratch.

It's a shame that people buy a Supra for 10k and expect prices of spares for a 50k car to have dropped to 20% of their original cost as well. :blink: I don't understand the thought process behind that.

Still, having said that, the Blueprint brake discs are a fair bit cheaper than OEM and they are IMO better :) Can't think of much else though. Maybe the motorised aerial?

Branners is running a T61 with a buggered stock SMIC and his car hasn't blown up yet (although my toes are curling as I write this lol), so a new CW one would be sufficient I reckon. The ducting makes all the difference.

-Ian

Absolutely KeithC, my intercooler would be ideal. Don't forget you will be (hopefully.....:)) running a turbo that is operating bang in the middle of its efficiency "island", and as such won't be heating the charge air anything like as much as the stock turbos at even 1.1 bar boost, so intercooling is less critical, IYSWIM. You are not trying to prop up turbos that are overspeeding.

Chris,

If you were doing a fast road spec bpu Supra (or maybe even a small single) would you fit a front mount of any type or would you always go for one of yours? I'm talking about a front mount where the time was spent to duct it as best as possible and make all attempts to keep water cooling up to scratch.

Properly ducting a FMIC and the water rad on a MKIV is extremely difficult, due to the lack of space. Given a clean sheet of paper one would make atotally bespoke fron bumper and design it and the IC together as a package, as Toyota have done with the SMIC and bumper and water rad.

I have yet to see a FMIC that even vaguely looks like its working at the capacity it hould on a MKIV.

Slight hijack, Kieth, Ian - Im running a resonable condition stock IC with a BL61 kit, so far I have no problems at all, running 1.1 bar I have yet to see EGT's go above 800c. If the stock can handle it, im sure Chris's would be the most cost efective option as as well as probably being the best for the performance.

When mine needs replacing I hope Chris will have 1 left.