The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo experience

erol_h

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not gona build a single as it would cost me more than i want to spend im gona be patient and search for a well built single for sale preferably from this site where i can find out information on the car. I have a budget of 15k and hope this will be enough for what im after

Hey guys ive decided when my insurance runs out this year i want to change my sup i want a 6sp and a well setup single turbo. I just want to know what a single feels like and if a member on here would be kind enough to take for a passenger run i dont mind travelling up to you. Oh and obvisouly when the roads dry up and its safe.

Feel free to have a look at mine, for the right budget I may offer mine for sale to the right household.

If interested, PM me and I should be able to take you out for a test drive. Being based in London, the offer to take you out for a passengerage stands regardless of whether you are interested in buying the car or not.

imi

Thanks for all the offers guys its nice to see supra club spirit now its just to choose which car to take a ride in might be better to go in a few and see what they are like.

Try and get a go in as many as you can, folks will be all too willing to show off their P&J :D

All singles perform a little differently as there's rarely two that have the same turbo, mods, level of map, boost, etc.

Im interested to find out if 15-16K would get a decent 6 speed single too.

you would think so but the majority seem of singles I've seen are normally on a tight budget which means ebay crap fitted and the far from ideal supporting mods to match.

The best well specced Supra I've seen for sale on here recently was pig's :) (it has a good engine spec) and Deans (sorry Dean I forgot about yours ;) )

with up to 20k I would want one that's had an engine build with big name parts,(carrillo,HKS,ferrea, Tomei,Jun,Cosworth etc but unfortunately most have (imo) fallen short on the parts.

so you'd be better off saving and speccing your own :)

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

well the one im looking at seems very well im doing my research and taking my time but i dont seem to see anything dodgy on the spec list, as for the rebuilt engine i know the engine can take the stress of a single as many people have done it but its all down to your own personal taste.

, as for the rebuilt engine i know the engine can take the stress of a single as many people have done it but its all down to your own personal taste.

unfortunately it depends on so many things :)

In the past few months I've tested 6 cars for compression that were for sale, ranging from bpu to high hp single's (not just supra's) and all of them had low compression and required a rebuild.

all were apparrently low mileage too.

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

unfortunately it depends on so many things :)

In the past few months I've tested 6 cars for compression that were for sale, ranging from bpu to high hp single's (not just supra's) and all of them had low compression and required a rebuild.

Tom with that kind of proven info I feel a club should have a section for 'viewed cars' and the members opinion on them, it would save many a wasted mile looking at cars with hidden/unknown faults

Tom with that kind of proven info I feel a club should have a section for 'viewed cars' and the members opinion on them, it would save many a wasted mile looking at cars with hidden/unknown faults

Although potentially bad for the sale, I think this is a fantastic idea. It captures the idea of the "owners club" IMO.

sorry Dean I forgot abouts yours and just added you to my previous post! (well specced car bit ;) )

yeah that could be a good idea :)

I havent yet viewed a car that's lived up to my expectations for such a long time you wouldnt believe! but I know that most wouldn't go as far as a compression test(not that this shows exactly how healthy the engine is) but it's better than not doing it at all, Or even taking someone that can easily see if the car has had repair/paintwork.

The compression test alone has probably saved me from buying maybe 8 cars in the past year in which all the owners thought were in perfect health.

I'll never buy without doing that now :) but tbh I'm bored of looking now so I'll just get my own done!

Sorry for going off topic!

i will take that into mind how would do a compression test as ive never done anything like that im guessing you would need to take it to a garage and what would this sort of test cost you.

the compression test is easy enough to do :)

from what I've read on the web some people have different methods, ie leaving all the plugs in apart from the one your testing, or all the plugs out while testing.

Then some say to get the engine warm before testing and others from cold (never do it when the engine is hot)