The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any interest in a trackday around March?

Wez

Which Circuit  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which Circuit

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bedford is crap as they get rid of you for noise, oulton is a great track but if you come off at speed you will die, its very close in place's.

Donington would be my choice as they aint to bothered about noise and also if you spin there is a good chance you can drive home lol.

I think you'll find they ARE bothered about noise unless it's a rare, and expensive "noisy" day.

They have 3 microphones around the circuit with read outs linked to the local council, as well as in the noise marshal's room, plus they have, and use, the option to static test as well. Be under NO illusion Donington will bend any noise limits AT ALL. If you don't know that your car meets the limits of the day find out first, or run sensible silencing.

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/track-days/noise-limits

This is the sort of money Donington are charging pre season for their noisy test sessions (you need a race licence to take part). Prices will zoom much higher after the circuits is re vamped.

https://store.donington-park.co.uk/v2/product.aspx?catid=47&relcatid=0&cat=General%20Test&relcat=0&id=9619&shopid=1

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

If your car passes the noise test We have no worries :D

Its quiet now (when not bouncing off limiter or playing with 2 step).

When wastegate is shut im about 88dB about 4.5k. Cant go to 2 thirds like they ask as the 2 step kicks in. lol

Dont you remember it being practically silent at suprapod :innocent:

Wastegates venting to atmosphere (screamer pipes) are virtually guaranteed to fail the noise limit testing. The correct way to test the noise level is with a decibel meter, but decently accurate ones are quite expensive to buy. A static test is well documented, doing a drive by less so, but if you want to be safe the only systems I'd be confident in passing are the stock ones and the Tanabe Medallion Touring. Forget those simply ludicrous baffles in the tailpipe, they are a sure way to send EGT's through the roof, kill power and det the engine to destruction. A noisy exhaust is child's play to make, something quiet that doesn't rob too much power is not, which is why the Jap exhaust makers have grown fat selling ridiculously over priced, noisy systems of dubious fit and longevity, and why the stock system, bought new, is so expensive. If your neighbours complain about your exhaust the Donington noise man will be incandescent :)

To use donington as an example (same goes for Oulton Park) the circuit has 2 or 3 permamently sited microphones that are connected to Db meters, both at the circuit, and remotely, to be be permanently readable by the local District Councils. So even if the circuit management chose to ignore, or be lenient of loud cars, which they won't be, the dreaded council busy bodies will see and immediately react to a noisy car on circuit. So there is NO getting away from having a properly silenced car these days, unless you pick one of the few UK circuits that have noisy days. Oulton has none, the only noisy days are taken up by actual races, usually for historic cars. Donington has a few noisy track days, and plenty of test sessions, at a price. So does Silverstone. I don't know about Brands, that, and Croft, are the only 2 UK circuits I've never raced at.

Bookatrack used to hire out a noise meter, but probably, and understandably, only to people using their business. I would say your test meter should give a good indication, but I really think that a wastegate not plumbed back into the silenced main system is a waste of time on a track day. I'd get it re-routed, via a flexi joint, back into the main system.

Does that mean i cant come?? well i have a few questions actually, ihave a supra TT BPU that should be fine for the track, but i also have a bmw with a 2JZ-GTE, can i bring that?? ;) But my problem its thats kinda running a 4" exhaust with only back boxes and has a 2" screamer pipe :| and im pritty sure its over 100db? so can we go to a noisy day pleeeeeaaase?