The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do I need a TT??

Supralove

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing for certain is if I do get an n/a it will have to be manual

There's one on autotrader at £4,4** in gun metal and looks clean, its the sort of NA i'd recommend (not sure if its a 6 or 5 speed one it doesn't matter too much but better value if its a 6 speed)

There's one on autotrader at £4,4** in gun metal and looks clean, its the sort of NA i'd recommend (not sure if its a 6 or 5 speed one it doesn't matter too much but better value if its a 6 speed)

I know I've seen it and its stunning. except for the fake carbon fibre dash:(

which exhausts are good for the n/a?

Scooter, can I ask why after going from an n/a to a tt did you go back to n/a?

Edited by Supralove (see edit history)

Scooter, can I ask why after going from an n/a to a tt did you go back to n/a?

This probably has a fair bit to do with it!

Money was a/the consideration, I've got back into having a manual again with the current NA and in my present position and as good as they are, an older auto TT doesn't appeal 'enough' for me to make the change back. Manual TT's have always commanded a premium and those of the same age as my NA still fetch serious cash, also i can't afford to get banned now and so triple figures speeds are a rare/if ever event these days so i make do with the slower 0-70. Its the same dynamics though and is a bit more nimble than the TT and also extremely reliable because of its age as much as it being an NA.

I think that you should definitely own a TT at some point, however you have to be far more careful selecting a TT than an NA to avoid short term costs and with a fixed budget the TT will always be older so 'may' have some more age related issues.

IMO if you are in no rush, then bide your time and try and find the gem of an old TT, as they do crop up every few months......i'll keep my eye out :)

also i can't afford to get banned now and so triple figures speeds are a rare/if ever event these days so i make do with the slower 0-70.

IMO if you are in no rush, then bide your time and try and find the gem of an old TT, as they do crop up every few months......i'll keep my eye out :)

Well this was one of my first questions in the na v tt argument. I have only once driver at over 100mph and I have no intention of doing it regularly. in fact its rare to find me going over 80mph which is why I was asking weather the difference in performance was big enough to warrant me waiting and probably spending more on the car as I won't ever feel the tt's party peice which is acceleration at high speed.

I'm not in a huge rush but would like to think no later than a couple of months.

I have an NA sup' AND a 600 brake hp nissan powered single turbo. Alas I love the power of the turbo but I also love the sup' for just cruising...If I had to choose I would keep my NA sup everytime coz it drives nicer, has enough go to get out of its own way and is reliable. just my 2cents (or 02p to you guys?!)

Well this was one of my first questions in the na v tt argument. I have only once driver at over 100mph and I have no intention of doing it regularly. in fact its rare to find me going over 80mph which is why I was asking weather the difference in performance was big enough to warrant me waiting and probably spending more on the car as I won't ever feel the tt's party peice which is acceleration at high speed.

Sounds like you have a similar driving style to me. I occasionally open up my NA, but not to particularly fast speeds. I bought an NA because:

1) I couldn't justify the extra cost of a TT.

2) I don't drive fast

3) An NA looks just as good as a TT, and I wanted a supra mainly for the looks.

Reading back - you said you have £500-600/month spends?

If so, then a TT is definitely affordable. Yes, it could cost you slightly more to run than an N/A, but that budget should cover it, unless a complete disaster occurs.

So, if Jurgen says he can get you an auto TT for £5k, you're happy to use up half your monthly cash running it, and you trust yourself with 320hp, then my advice would definitely be to go for the TT.

Well i bought a NA due to my budget not being high enough for a TT ive never been more pleased with a car and made driving more fun i too was thinking shall i wait for a TT but me being impatient i went out and bought a NA.

The power in my NA which was dyno'd at 214.7bhp is fairly quick, for someone who doesnt go above 80mph i'd say the NA's speed is defo effiecient though as ive experience the thrill of speed talking 450+bhp i miss having that which is why im now going NA - TT and droping a tt lump in and only 5months down the line from having it......thats right Raven ur old sup is having a new heart :)

If you close to cambridge send us a message see if i can take u out in my 5 speed NA

Well i bought a NA due to my budget not being high enough for a TT ive never been more pleased with a car and made driving more fun i too was thinking shall i wait for a TT but me being impatient i went out and bought a NA.

The power in my NA which was dyno'd at 214.7bhp is fairly quick, for someone who doesnt go above 80mph i'd say the NA's speed is defo effiecient though as ive experience the thrill of speed talking 450+bhp i miss having that which is why im now going NA - TT and droping a tt lump in and only 5months down the line from having it......thats right Raven ur old sup is having a new heart :)

If you close to cambridge send us a message see if i can take u out in my 5 speed NA

Bravo! thats what i would have done to it had i have kept it.:D heading the pod this year?

Sorry to go way off topic.

Reading back - you said you have £500-600/month spends?

If so, then a TT is definitely affordable. Yes, it could cost you slightly more to run than an N/A, but that budget should cover it, unless a complete disaster occurs.

So, if Jurgen says he can get you an auto TT for £5k, you're happy to use up half your monthly cash running it, and you trust yourself with 320hp, then my advice would definitely be to go for the TT.

I have pm'd jurgen with loads of questions regarding importing me one to see whats what as that is a very very good price. for all I know £5k worth of turbo import will get me a much better car for the £5k turbo one's I seem to be finding online. if this is the case I might as well go for the turbo.

In regard to spending half my earnings (say £600 after paying bills etc) running the car I don't know if I would be happy to do that. say I do 100 miles a week, whats that about £40 in fuel per week or is that optimistic. Insurance will be paid in full when I buy it so no insurance to worry about for a year, same with tax. maintenance wise will I really need to budget a few hundred quid per month just to keep her running?

Unless you including addiction to modding the beast:D

oh and out of curiosity, how much roughly are we talking to convert an n/a to na-t or na-tt? I tried the search but all word were to short to search apparently? coulpe of grand or mega bucks?

oh and I think everyone advising me to drive both is definately correct as I need to feel them myself and go from there,

In all honnesty i wouldnt even begin to think NA-T unless you have 10k laying around been researching loads about whether to go NA-T or NA-TT and with all the work that needs to be done for the NA-T and all the things people have had trouble with TT lump is the sensible option, plus like Raven said can get it done for around 2.5k.

Raven......awesome been real busy with her might not recognise the inside anymore :)

In all honnesty i wouldnt even begin to think NA-T unless you have 10k laying around been researching loads about whether to go NA-T or NA-TT and with all the work that needs to be done for the NA-T and all the things people have had trouble with TT lump is the sensible option, plus like Raven said can get it done for around 2.5k.

Raven......awesome been real busy with her might not recognise the inside anymore :)

Ooooooooooo cant wait!:D

Ok, well I've made a decision yesterday. As of now I have a savings account and a monthly direct debit of £350 going in there, I know its not gonna leave me a great deal of cashish to enjoy to myself every month but gotta think about the future and what-not (boring eh?)

So now I am basically set on getting an n/a as there is no way I can afford to run a tt on the money I will have each month now.

Question I have for you guys now is, My current smart roadster is actually still for sale through a local garage. as its a "buyers market" I'm just wondering if say for instance I see a nice supe on the internet at a garage, Do you think I would be better to offer my car in part exchange or wait till mine sells then pay cash? which way would I get a better deal?

Eddy

Question I have for you guys now is, My current smart roadster is actually still for sale through a local garage. as its a "buyers market" I'm just wondering if say for instance I see a nice supe on the internet at a garage, Do you think I would be better to offer my car in part exchange or wait till mine sells then pay cash? which way would I get a better deal?

I'd do both: advertise the Smart on ebay and/or Autotrader, but also speak to any garage about px that has a supra you like the look of. If the Smart's worth more than the supra, I doubt the garage would be interested in px with money your way.

I'd do both: advertise the Smart on ebay and/or Autotrader, but also speak to any garage about px that has a supra you like the look of. If the Smart's worth more than the supra, I doubt the garage would be interested in px with money your way.

I have, the roadster is on autotrader and the garage's site. its up for 5999 but I would take 5k, do garages not like taking a car and giving money for a car worth more?