The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do I need a TT??

Supralove

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think i've said something like this before but anyway. I would recommend a TT i couldn't see myself driving a n/a as i like that extra power. I went for the TT because of the tax factor we pay around 1300 a year and if i got a n/a would be the same. Buying parts is definitely costly but once you have it the way you want you'll just be paying for service parts, costs, tyres etc. Auto TT are very comfortable to drive and for 5k you can't go wrong

The buying price is just the start of ownership. can you afford to replace bits that need doing, clutch, brake disks etc ?

The Supra can be expensive and if your unlucky they can eat money.

TT's have more cost and risk associated with them compared to the NA.

yeah this is a concern for me but other than the turbo's going, what else can go wrong that couldn't on an n/a?

as for money, well I have a £500 limit credit card for emergancies. I work full time in a supermarket so don't earn loads but I normally have about £5-600 after bills and essentials each month.

With your budget you will get an OK ish auto TT, but you will have to factor in the costs of running the car. Resale values may have plummeted, but running costs have not. You will be looking at a 12 to 15 year old car. Even a well maintained car could have have some big costs coming up, valve stem oil seals can to start go at any time, if you can't do it yourself expect a big bil £500+ I thinkl. Depending on how you drive you might get two years out of a set of tyres, factor in £100+ each corner. The auto box needs a fluid change every couple of years. To keep the engine sweet you will need a fully sythethic oil every 9K miles more frequently if you dive it hard. Some cars have not had adequate antifreeze/corrosion protection so heater matrixes can start to leak. Massive job, for big money if you can't do it yourself. In cars this age the radiator plastic top can fail, which requires a new rad. Then there is the temptatiion to start making it faster.

To be honest £5K is not enough.

^^ are these things that could go wrong in the n/a as well or just the turbo's?

turbos will cost more when they go wrong, About the only thing on them thats cheaper to replace than an N/A is the spark plugs due to the labour costs for changing the N/A

Have you had a rear wheel drive before?

TT'S are great cars, ive not had any experience with the N/A, But if your on a tight budget its not really for you. I had mine less then 12 months and the 2nd turbo went, brake calliper seized up got the valve steam seals done, its a never ending job really always something needing to be fixed.

turbos will cost more when they go wrong, About the only thing on them thats cheaper to replace than an N/A is the spark plugs due to the labour costs for changing the N/A

Have you had a rear wheel drive before?

yeah my last car was a smart roadster. turbo-charged rwd. in fairness its only 80bhp but it taught me what rwd cars do when you floor it going sideways:d

I certainly won't be doing that in a supra

yeah my last car was a smart roadster. turbo-charged rwd. in fairness its only 80bhp but it taught me what rwd cars do when you floor it going sideways:d

I certainly won't be doing that in a supra

You could, but chances are the 2nd turbo would kick in thus sending you into a spin. I can only add that maybe you should try both out before you buy. Can i ask your age?

A later NA may be the best bet. It will not be a money pit for sure, however it will not be the 'all out' scare your friends (and self!) borderline super car the TT is.

TT's can be money pits but if you can find a standard one you 'should' avoid most of the high cost items. Sometimes a higher mile car can be a better short/medium term bet due to recent tyres, service clutch etc.

You can sometimes pick up second hand sets of stock wheels with tyres if money is tight and there's plenty of information on here that can help you fix things on a budget or at least ensure you don't get stiffed by a garage.

I've gone from NA to TT and back again and will say the NA is certainly no slouch but the TT has a 'wow' factor. If you go for a TT then i'd look for as near a standard car as possible, with a long previous period of ownership, from a mature owner (older the better)

I'm 21 mate.

ok a question to the n/a owners. what cars did you have before your n/a and do you find it to be a quick enough car to excite you when you give it some?

before my n/a i had a sapphire cosworth, impreza wrx and a couple of bmw 328's. There is nothing that beats the kick of a turbo but for what i use my supra for the n/a is plenty.

If the power is there you will try and use it!!

yeah I've heard alot of people going for n/a then adding a turbo or something. na-t is that right?

ok so I've been doing the rounds on autotrader just now. do any n'a's come with leather, cruise, climate and other things or are these tt exclusive?

I have also read that there is not much you can do mod wise to the n/a to increase the power? do things like exhaust and induction add much or help the car breath easier and remove any flat spots (if there are any)and is the n/a a torquey car or is all the power at the high end of the rev range?

sorry for all the questions and I do appreciate all the help so far guys and gals

The N/A will pull harder at high revs, leather im not sure on but its easyier to get a 5 speed boxed one which IMO is the way to go if your getting an N/A. climate control is standard.

Your right you cant get much power from an N/A engine however you can remove the engine and drop a TT engine in for around 2.5k these days.

hi chris, what was your original budget and did you end up spending more on the tt or was it within you original?

One thing for certain is if I do get an n/a it will have to be manual, quick question regarding what revs the car sits at at 70mph. also are the cars quite insulated or with a big exhaust does it give you a headache on long motorway trips?

cheers guys