The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I nearly died! please be careful

Adzys straight6

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats bad news dude, I know what you mean though, i got my Supe' out the garage yesterday to go to the bank and at 15mph down my street the back end was all over the place, so god knows what it must have felt like to you. I think im just gonna keep mine garaged up till all this blasted snow and ice has departed. Glad your ok tho dude!

Hey smithy,

was going to come and vist you a warwick hospital but went to the pub instead! :)

bet you wish you had bought my celica now! lol

so what have the insurance company said mate?

ps glad your okay! coming into town saturday?

Full of heart as always Lee:D

Im pleased you got out of it ok mate:), sounded like quite a nasty accident:(

glad your ok mate! thats the main thing..

I no what u mean though i only popped out to my mates last night and i wished i never.. hes road goes slightly down hill and there was frost / ice / rain all over the road, the back end was all over the place.. i couldn't even turn round properly, any touch of the acceleration the back would just kick out to far.. took me about 5 /10mins to be able to turn the car round to come back up to his house, but then when i came out of his to come home it was a job and half to get it back up the slight hill.

i just hate it though when your trying to drive carefully etc and you have some dick head up my ass trying it on with you - knowing that he will blown away they still carry on..

Personally, I think the Supra is a RWD car for experienced drivers. After crashing my first Supra (repairing it and selling it), I decided I needed experience in a more forgiving RWD car. As a result I went out and bought a 200sx S13. I've been driving it for nearly 2 years now and it's done me a world of good (restoring my confidence).

Lost mine in the wet 2 months ago - once it goes it goes and no amount of skill will save you........just have to be sensible ALL the time.

I had a bit of tussle with a Impreza STI and the Supra nearly got written off!

There you have it, this is why i drive around in an Impreza now, Supras really are for experienced drivers and im not afraid to admit it, i had a TT6 before i hit 20. Was nice but in conditions like this and wet roads it was a mare!

4WD has its qualitys this time of year

Drive carefull guys and gurls!

There you have it, this is why i drive around in an Impreza now, Supras really are for experienced drivers and im not afraid to admit it, i had a TT6 before i hit 20. Was nice but in conditions like this and wet roads it was a mare!

4WD has its qualitys this time of year

Drive carefull guys and gurls!

Read my signature.

4 Wheels is what you need definately, even though i am 36 and class myself an experienced driver, it's so easy to lose control of RWD when it isn't bone dry.

Wasn't even racing the STI he was trying to drive me off the road and up my backside, so put my foot on the gass to turn right and hey presto - game over.......not even a rush of blood to the head, but merely to get out of a situation!

4 Wheels is what you need definately, even though i am 36 and class myself an experienced driver, it's so easy to lose control of RWD when it isn't bone dry.

Wasn't even racing the STI he was trying to drive me off the road and up my backside, so put my foot on the gass to turn right and hey presto - game over.......not even a rush of blood to the head, but merely to get out of a situation!

Should have waited for the straight...

;)

AWD has it's benefits, but personally, they under steer too much for my liking.

RWD's will step.... it's the knowing "when" it's going to happen, and the "how" to get it back that helps to keep you out of the ditches.

But that is the skill. Choosing a time and a place.

Glad everyone is OK. Take it steady.

Exactly the 'skill' is don't do it in the first place!!

Although in truth touching the gas to go right is nothing new, but i do believe the Khumos i had on at the time, didn't help!!!

I concider myself a good driver but nothing and no amount of experience could have prevented that.

I'm glad you're ok but disgree that nothing could be done to prevent it.

Maybe if you had the correct size wheels with decent rubber, hadnt messed around with dampers, didnt have

Max power - 400est bhp @ rear hubs
and had invested in something useful like UK brakes, your talent may have saved the situation.

Should have waited for the straight...

;)

AWD has it's benefits, but personally, they under steer too much for my liking.

RWD's will step.... it's the knowing "when" it's going to happen, and the "how" to get it back that helps to keep you out of the ditches.

Get the suspension sorted and they handle lovely, nice bit of oversteer on mine now just by fitting a rear strut bar! :blink:

Wow, glad you are ok, and sorry to hear about the car. Wonder if this is to do with auto cars then, my back end dont twitch too much. Perhaps it was an ice patch? Thanks anyway, for that sobering post, to make us all think again of how precious our life is, and in comparison how worthless the supra.

God,the main thing is that your ok.

You can replace a car you cant replace a life!

Your one very lucky fellah, think your guardian angel was looking over you!!! I sometimes swear at the A-pillars obscuring my vision a bit but they're a life saver.

glad your safe, thats the main thing :ok:

Linda

xx

i just can't understand how come the supra is so twitch on the back end in the wet whether etc on TT's and N/A's but yet other RWD's you see on the road are just flying pass with no problem.

Any pictures yet mate ?

The incredibly adjustable suspension is probably pissed & tired and I doubt many people on this forum have 235/45/17 & 255/40/17 Michelin XGT-Z's or Pilot SX's on stock Toyota alloys.

Another edit- yet another test car supplied by Toyota was wearing Bridgestone Potenza RE020's.

Edited by Gazboy (see edit history)