The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stock or rebuild

allawyg

The rods OR their bolts ?

and at what point / level of tune do they become the weak point ?

I still remain to be convinced that the stock rod bolts are the 'weak point' and the need upgrading when you go for a lot of power by having a big single turbo. Reason for this is, the bolts are only put under more stress by higher revs, so the stock ones are good for the stock rev limit, end of story.

Loading on the internals from power generated by a denser air charge is all on the piston/conrod/crank - the only bit that isn't affected at all is the rod bolts...

-Ian

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so a stock could handle 550bhp perfectly and reliable without blowing anything ? so theres no need to spend all the extra cash..

Im gonna sound like a bloody NEWBEEE with this question but whats the differnce between a long block and a short block :):)

i can tell you from a first hand, 550bhp is fine as long as you dont go past 7,500revs. Its revs or bad mapping which can kill a stock short block. Just get a stock short block u ll be fine for your needs.

I still remain to be convinced that the stock rod bolts are the 'weak point' and the need upgrading when you go for a lot of power by having a big single turbo. Reason for this is, the bolts are only put under more stress by higher revs, so the stock ones are good for the stock rev limit, end of story.

Loading on the internals from power generated by a denser air charge is all on the piston/conrod/crank - the only bit that isn't affected at all is the rod bolts...

-Ian

THE only thing that can kill a stock short block is high revs and bad mapping. EVERYTHING else is fine for huge power. 7,500 should be the limit for any stock short block. Rod bolts can go from massive torque but you talking for silly figures which are very hard to get.

dude without being rude i think you need to go and use the search button and read some books, when asking a relatively straight forward question it is taken for granted that the person asking does have a basic understanding of the internal combustion engine, sorry if this comes across harsh

yea. Im sorry. :) ur right, but the thing is ive done SOOOO Much searching and ive soo many people say so many different things,

some people say u need to change pistons, others say u need to change rods, otheres say u need to change cams, some say u dont need to change anything.

Some people say u should keep the T88 as it does spool late but then a lot of power kicks in, some people say get the t67.

its very hard to get an answer, so I thought id ask for myself, I know how a turbo works and that, just not familier with the terminology.

sorry to be a pain

yea thats true, but this is just general advice im asking for. I just want to know how to run 550-600bhp nicely and reliably without spending stupidly.

the question is shall I go stock fully, or do I need to change a few things if im running a T88 turbo. Reliability is my key issue, I dont want 600bhp for 3 months then need an engine rebuild, I know its how I drive as well but if u take that out the equation.

sorry to be annoying, I am trying hard man, i really am

Some people say u should keep the T88 as it does spool late but then a lot of power kicks in, some people say get the t67.

thats what i was getting at in my post........the late spool and high amount of power kicking is a trait of the T88 and changing the cams will make this more pronounced ie more power yes but probably over an even narrower range of engine revs so worse traction/drivability...........people are advising you to go with a more modern smaller turbo as it give a more gradual increase in power from far lower rev's, a better/more usable power band if you like.

I just want to know how to run 550-600bhp nicely and reliably without spending stupidly.

the question is shall I go stock fully, or do I need to change a few things if im running a T88 turbo.

Me i'd get a used engine (ideally with a bit of history of where it came from) and then spend a bit on mapping (Ryan on here?).

yea. Im sorry. :) ur right, but the thing is ive done SOOOO Much searching and ive soo many people say so many different things,

some people say u need to change pistons, others say u need to change rods, otheres say u need to change cams, some say u dont need to change anything.

its very hard to get an answer, so I thought id ask for myself, I know how a turbo works and that, just not familier with the terminology.

sorry to be a pain

I had a T88 a couple of year back and now have a T67 with many turbos in between, the T88 aint as bad as people say imo but i did have stock cams, people that went in mine was always impressed with it.

They are great on big roads but you need to use the box a lot on the small roads to get them going.

As you are on a budget if it was me id keep the engine stock including stock cams as you are only after 500ish bhp, then at a later date change to a more modern turbo that is designed for the power output you are after and will give good spool, something like a GT35r.

Good luck with the car:)

ie more power yes but probably over an even narrower range of engine revs

Me i'd get a used engine (ideally with a bit of history of where it came from) and then spend a bit on mapping (Ryan on here?).

with the uprated cams how much more narrower are we talking, im not so worried about traction, I have 355 wide wheels at the back and a stupidly big spoiler.

where could I pick up a good used engine from? are there any companies that deal with that?

Yes mapping is a must, I got a HKS f-con pro that I will get mapped with Matt from AFR.

is there anything I can do to get the T88 to spool faster and make it more drivable. Id love to change the turbo I really would, im just tight on cash at the moment, new engine and mapping is going to leave me out of pocket.

I had a T88 a couple of year back and now have a T67 with many turbos in between, the T88 aint as bad as people say imo but i did have stock cams, people that went in mine was always impressed with it.

They are great on big roads but you need to use the box a lot on the small roads to get them going.

As you are on a budget if it was me id keep the engine stock including stock cams as you are only after 500ish bhp, then at a later date change to a more modern turbo that is designed for the power output you are after and will give good spool, something like a GT35r.

Good luck with the car:)

Thanks man, I really do need luck :)

how much HP were you running and how much boost did u have?

did u have any issues?

I have had a T88 all be it in a skyline, the Turbo is laggy and spools slowly, it is still a good turbo, just not the same as a modern Turbo like the GT35, T67 dbb, T04Z etc (had these to!)

If you are on a tight budget I would keep the T88 for now and enjoy the car as any change will no doubt be more expensive that just the turbo, its never that simple, save up and get some more advice and experience over the winter and change when you have the funds to do it right :)

I have had a T88 all be it in a skyline, the Turbo is laggy and spools slowly, it is still a good turbo, just not the same as a modern Turbo like the GT35, T67 dbb, T04Z etc (had these to!)

Why did you change from the T04Z? That in my mind would be the ultimate turbo for me (and was on my winter shopping list)

Don't kid yourself that a near 100% power hike won't involve a LOT more wear and tear on the engine. Adding boosta nd fuel is easy, if Toyota thought they could pull more power with no reliability issues they would have done so with all their turbo engines. At the very least the engine you are putting this huge turbo on should have a full rebuild and re fresh unless it's ultra low mileage.

thats what i was getting at in my post........the late spool and high amount of power kicking is a trait of the T88 and changing the cams will make this more pronounced ie more power yes but probably over an even narrower range of engine revs

Anyone there that can answer these?

with the uprated cams how much more narrower are we talking, im not so worried about traction, I have 355 wide wheels at the back and a stupidly big spoiler.

where could I pick up a good used engine from? are there any companies that deal with that?

is there anything I can do to get the T88 to spool faster and make it more drivable. Id love to change the turbo I really would, im just tight on cash at the moment, new engine and mapping is going to leave me out of pocket.