The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What makes the perfect Supra driving road?

michael

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The A70 from near West Calder into Edinburgh - an ideal Supra road IMO. For a number of reasons - it suits GT cars with it's longish straight sections with gentle bends and also throws into the mix a few complex technical sections where utilising the racing line becomes vitally important especially given the speeds you reach coming into them.... so best driven at night for maximum attack.

Has a decent surface although is challenging in that respect with varying altitude and off camber bends etc. No speed cameras either and tends to be very quiet outside rush hours (when it's still relatively quiet) - 10 miles of driving pleasure! :)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=west+calder&daddr=balerno&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=55.879425,-3.37715&sspn=0.231482,0.725098&ie=UTF8&z=12

Cheers,

Brian.

Don't know about the A70, but the road from A74 into Edinburgh was interesting last week.....

For me a good road for the supra would primarily be a dry one, but other than that i'd agree with scooter, fresh good quality tarmac so i can feel when i'm overcooking it and not have to keep braking and coming of my line because of potholes and damaged/freshly lifted sections of tarmac. Also would have to say the best stretch of road would have to be far far away from any gamekeeping estates as when they let the pheasants and partidge out its a bloody massacre. (of your front splitter that is)

:D

Yes so in my case, Basingstoke must be the worst in the whole of England!!

There is so many bumps, humps and undulations in these roads that it is a joke to drive on even though WE pay for them!!

When I was in the USA, it was much better and the roads were actually driveable...:D

Suppose the good thing about Basingstoke is the ring road, its like a race track! Nice little circuit and then a bit of duel carriage under the tunnel by the Anvil. :D

Don't know about the A70, but the road from A74 into Edinburgh was interesting last week.....

The original A74? The one now 'downgraded' and called the B7076? It's a fun road, runs in parallel to the A74(M). The A74(M) itself is good fun - some of the best laid tarmac you can drive on, really wide and very quiet and one of my favourite mapping roads to visit all load sites at night. Just watch the overpasses at the Dumfries & Galloway section as those buggers are out fishing all the time....

You mean the 40mph bit? :)

Yeah thats exactly the spot but who does that speed down there anyway? I always slow down then floor it under there with windows down or with roof off! :D

Long dual carriage ways with a few wide roundabouts thrown in

Your talking about Basingstoke mate ;) All dual carriage and loads of wide roundabouts!

Whew - looks like fun. :D

You're doing that in the Supra I presume?

Unfortunately no, because it's for work. I'll have to slum it and share the boss' Cerbera. :D

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this place yet:

The Millau Bridge in France. I bet that's a joy. If you could have it to yourself :)

I remember a thread recently where a member and his mates went on a tour all over France etc, and it all looked great.

I'll be going that way before hitting the Ventoux hill climb... there's a great photo opportunity from the village below too.

I do love the quality of French tarmac, smooth, quiet and often freshly laid every couple of years around the Alps. That'll be me who took a trip through the St Bernard pass. :)

The Cat and Fiddle for me as it is right on my doorstep, a few straights lots of twisties and great scenery and best of all no speed cameras... just watch out for the helicopter and spotter plane.

:yeahthat:

Or a clear Woodhead pass

Basically a quiet clear road, with barely enforced speed limits, tight corners and long straights, and breathtaking views

Perhaps early on a summer Sunday :)