The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chav cars VS Supra etc

supraspeed

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think any chavs actually think they are chavs, do they? I don't think I'm a chav, but people might think I am behind my back. Perhaps the people the OP was referring to didn't regard themselves as chavs. I think chavness is in the eye of the beholder, and not a deliberate lifestyle choice.

I think the supra can certainly be a chav car in the right circumstances (in my view, as the beholder).

... they put on induction kits which lose power to the engine, the loudest exhaust they can find, and claim rediculous BHP gains from it. Their knowledge is very limited in most cases, where as we pride ourselves on looking after all aspects of the car, we dont rag them round the streets with cold engines to show off to underage girls who know no better. We have style, they have 'bigger is better'.

There are similarities between us to the un-educated, which are that we have loud cars which draw attention.

When we drive our cars - we are clearly insight if you look in your mirror, chavs however are peeping over the top of the steering wheel as their seat is reclined to the lying down position! Completely blacked out windows and HUGE sunstrips with 'Saxo' on it... Just incase you weren't quite sure what the car is/was!

I accept that I've done some selective quoting here, but I've seen threads about most of the above on this forum: cars with "Supra" written down the side... check. People claiming ridiculous BHP figures... check. Cars re-sprayed in gawdy colours... check. People asking advice for "a nice loud zorst"... check. My car came with a very dark tint on the back window when I bought it. The only purpose I can think of for such a tint is to hide what's in the boot of the car in the absence of a boot blind. I can't think of a practical purpose for side tints.

I think perceived chavness is a sliding scale, it doesn't just kick in with particular cars. It's also a matter of taste. I find almost all bodykits quite chavvy: they seem to serve no practical purpose, are expensive and they aim to make the car look like something it isn't. But a lot of people like to have them, and I don't have a problem with that.

There IS a fine line between chavs and car enthusiasts... A very fine line it may seem!

It all boils down to attitude I think. The way they dress (poorly, cheaply, and all the same!) the way they interact with other people (either mugging them, hurling abuse at them, picking fights, or being an arse in general) and their idea of what looks good on a car (lexus lights, HUGE rims, blacked out all windows so you cant see them, loud backbox, ripspeed interior accessories from Halfords, etc)

And since when were facial piercings chav? Goths and emos have more facial piercings than chavs... I was thinking of treating myself to an eyebrow piercing today... Does that make me a chav?

My cars have all been stylishly modified with genuine parts (it's been expensive, but at least they've been top quality!) and I too admit having used large induction kits and a powerflow exhaust at one point, but it was by no means chav (it was on a Civic Sport, and the exhaust was in the Type-R style, so looked fairly stock, just sounded a bit more sporty!) And I was still learning at that stage. Since then however I have learned a LOT about cars, mainly thanks to forums like this one.

Putting bodykits and bright paint on your car ISN'T CHAV! Doing it poorly, cheaply and distastefully IS. We tend to go for Bomex, Veilside and Top Secret style, chavs tend to go for the ones out of Max Power mags and off ebay.

We keep out cars looking stylish, chavs just go OTT and make the car look ridiculous.

There's no end of "Chavs" that own Supras. A few common tell tale signs that you're a chav are...

6000k (or higher numbered, lesser powered) aftermarket HID headlights on their Toyota.

Oy! I guess I must be a 53 y/o chav then. :(

IMO, anyone under 21 with a Supe or modded car is a chav. ;)

Chav to me has nothing to do with what car you drive. This is a quote from the web:

"(UK, pejorative) A working-class youth, especially one associated with aggression, poor education, and a perceived "common" taste in clothing and lifestyle."

This sums it up nicely I think.

There IS a fine line between chavs and car enthusiasts... A very fine line it may seem!

It all boils down to attitude I think. The way they dress (poorly, cheaply, and all the same!) the way they interact with other people (either mugging them, hurling abuse at them, picking fights, or being an arse in general) and their idea of what looks good on a car (lexus lights, HUGE rims, blacked out all windows so you cant see them, loud backbox, ripspeed interior accessories from Halfords, etc)

And since when were facial piercings chav? Goths and emos have more facial piercings than chavs... I was thinking of treating myself to an eyebrow piercing today... Does that make me a chav?

My cars have all been stylishly modified with genuine parts (it's been expensive, but at least they've been top quality!) and I too admit having used large induction kits and a powerflow exhaust at one point, but it was by no means chav (it was on a Civic Sport, and the exhaust was in the Type-R style, so looked fairly stock, just sounded a bit more sporty!) And I was still learning at that stage. Since then however I have learned a LOT about cars, mainly thanks to forums like this one.

Putting bodykits and bright paint on your car ISN'T CHAV! Doing it poorly, cheaply and distastefully IS. We tend to go for Bomex, Veilside and Top Secret style, chavs tend to go for the ones out of Max Power mags and off ebay.

We keep out cars looking stylish, chavs just go OTT and make the car look ridiculous.

i think this is nail and head... minus the goths and emos...- theres a whole spectrum of Alternative folks out there :D for instance i know theres a great deal of mettallers on this forum! :D

also its putting a spoiler on the roof of a saxo! but yeh i think it comes down to taste aswell- and on the type of car its on.

there is also Townies aswell ;)

Chav to me has nothing to do with what car you drive. This is a quote from the web:

"(UK, pejorative) A working-class youth, especially one associated with aggression, poor education, and a perceived "common" taste in clothing and lifestyle."

This sums it up nicely I think.

Agree. And it sounds very much like some people on here to be honest. :D

Hmmm there does seem to be a fine line, I think there is a bit of contradictions coming up, on one hand you have the chav's and car park kev's (you know the guys who sit in the local asda/tesco car park listening to trance in their cars with their 12 year old girlfriends), on the other hand you have enthusiasts and the Jap car scene that promotes mod's and bodywork. The massive difference between the two is attitude to life and the quality of the work.

Chav/kev might spend at the most £1000 on a body kit, then realise they cant afford to have is sprayed or even fitted so him and his mates will go about it with some expanding foam and filler until its stuck to the car. They will then proceed to rag the crap out of the car with it looking like a state. You then have the enthusiast who will happily spend several £k on a body kit and a further wad of ££££'s for fitting and paint and will only drive the car again when it is complete and to a high standard.

Attitude

You try and talk to chav/kev you will realise that education is low on their agenda, as said before they will spool off BS BHP and claim their "sick Zorst" adds 19billion hp. They will challenge you to race their 1.2 106 that's loaded down with their sound system. As well as tell you that their mates, uncles. mothers, step fathers former room mate has a supra with enough hp to spin the earth the wrong way.

They will then mug you.

Talk to a enthusiast and 9/10 they will happily take you through what they have done and why as well as show pride in the work that has been done, shake your hand thank you for your time etc etc.

Sound systems

Now this is an area I just don't understand so please bear with me and please feel free to put me right....

Chav/kev will more than likely just have the biggest amps/subs he/she could possibly fit in the boot/parcel shelf. They will rattle like hell and the over sound will be very poor. Head unit is likely to be a cheap halfords brand.

An enthusiasts system is likely going to be a brand named head unit, upgraded speakers that look like stock, or a complete professional boot install.

OK I admit my last supra did have a very in your face body kit however it defiantly wasn't chav and nor am I (I am far too snobby when it comes to cloth shopping), it was completely original and rather rare as well as stupidly expensive. In a way I am sorry I did do it as I do love the look of a stock supra and if I do get another one (maybe as a daily runabout) it will most likely be a manual stock SZ.

Although sadly it does seem that the supra is getting all the chav attention and seems to have that reputation more so than most of the other Jap cars and the price is starting to reflect this. Although I think "The fast and Furious" has a lot to answer for!

As do I! Nothing like Rage Against the Machine blaring out with the roof off! I get a few weird looks tho:)

Chav ;)

EDIT: I keep the music down when I've got the roof off. The car attracts enough attention as it is, and I don't want anyone thinking I'm showing off, much :)

Anyway, if Kylie suddenly pops on the stereo at the wrong moment its exceptionally embarrassing!

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)