The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hybrids?

L33

ive just been looking at the phr street kit, but on whifbits its 2100 not 1800. it does come with more than i thought tho and is now making me think with u lot sayin about hybrids.

as ive mentioned some where, a every day mechanic is doin my engine swap, now do you think its possible for a normal mechanic to do this single conversion? and if i buy this it wil be streching my budget to the max after already just buying the engine so if i buy this kit can i run the car as is before i need to do extra bits like ecu and remap etc. obviosly wont be running full potential but it wil stil run ok for time being?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think anyone this side of the pond has tried the GT28r route yet.

I doubt the hp claims as the US figures are always done on the dynojets, so aren't really comparible to the ones we get here. But from what I've heard they should be good for 500fwhp.

ive got a mate doing this as we speak....certainly an idea thats been in my head for many years now. Finally someone has come up with the goods

ive just been looking at the phr street kit, but on whifbits its 2100 not 1800. it does come with more than i thought tho and is now making me think with u lot sayin about hybrids.

as ive mentioned some where, a every day mechanic is doin my engine swap, now do you think its possible for a normal mechanic to do this single conversion? and if i buy this it wil be streching my budget to the max after already just buying the engine so if i buy this kit can i run the car as is before i need to do extra bits like ecu and remap etc. obviosly wont be running full potential but it wil stil run ok for time being?

No mate. Piggy back ecu and map needed. You'll run the risk of damaging the motor otherwise.

Speak to Ryan G Lee. He'll be able to lead you safely down the least pricey road.

The kit is bolt on. Hardest bit is getting the original tubbies off. Heckler did his in 14 hours. :D

sorry but i dont see how a small single set up can be the same as a hybrid set up in cost?

hybrids are 1300 and a small single is 1800?

I'm not talking about a basic hybris swap, I'm referring the lenghts Graham went through to get the the figure he did out of them. Essentiually it had all the supporting mods for a single, therefore, with everything else considered the costs would have been pretty much the same.

Don't rush into a decision, the single setup will be expensive, but then so will getting the most out of a set of hyrbids.

As mentioned, if I were in your shoes I'd just stick a pair of stockers back in there and be happy with 400bhp and 1.2 bar :)

I wouldn't even consider fitting a single kit unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money on all the supporting mods, fuelling, ECU/mapping, cooling etc. The price of the turbo kit is just a fraction of the overall cost.

I would either fit a brand new set of OEM turbos, 2nd hand turbos or a pair of hybrids with a good long warranty.

if i were in your shoes, id store the supra, buy a sh%theap for the winter, work on the supra slowly but surely buying in and fitting supporting mods, shell out the 1800 for the phr street kit, fit it myself, as mentioned get someone on here to set up your ecu, and have the car ready for summertime. running a small single at low boost would be less stressful on your engine than wringing the neck off of stock turbos, and i also believe (may be wrong!) that the phr street kit will run fine on stock internals

sorry but i dont see how a small single set up can be the same as a hybrid set up in cost?

hybrids are 1300 and a small single is 1800?

It can be if you buy second hand;)

Going to chime in now in defence of hybrids, yes my hybrids didn't last that long before needing new seals (which i am inclined to think that was due to not having stagger gaps fitted to start with) but in general i was very pleased, however i will point out that i always ran them in TTC mode, so cannot comment on sequential.

I also disagree with a lot of the over inflated BHP figures that are posted for BPU TTs yes there are the odd exception but i believe that most will return a figure of around 360 to 380BHP on a reliable RR.

Unfortunately i never did get around to RRing mine before they came off in favour of a single, but my reasonably accurate ass dyno;) told me that it was around the 420BHP mark, previously 370 at 5,000RPM with det so run terminated, but did have 390ftlbs so I'm sure it would have run a bit more.

So i think the assumption of 420BHP with supporting mods + EMU in TTC mode is about right, so if you add to that bigger injectors, cams and FMIC i think its reasonable to assume 450 to 470 is achievable.

It can be if you buy second hand;)

Going to chime in now in defence of hybrids, yes my hybrids didn't last that long before needing new seals (which i am inclined to think that was due to not having stagger gaps fitted to start with) but in general i was very pleased, however i will point out that i always ran them in TTC mode, so cannot comment on sequential.

I also disagree with a lot of the over inflated BHP figures that are posted for BPU TTs yes there are the odd exception but i believe that most will return a figure of around 360 to 380BHP on a reliable RR.

Unfortunately i never did get around to RRing mine before they came off in favour of a single, but my reasonably accurate ass dyno;) told me that it was around the 420BHP mark, previously 370 at 5,000RPM with det so run terminated, but did have 390ftlbs so I'm sure it would have run a bit more.

So i think the assumption of 420BHP with supporting mods + EMU in TTC mode is about right, so if you add to that bigger injectors, cams and FMIC i think its reasonable to assume 450 to 470 is achievable.

Your figures are spot... Mine was 450 before the good map and as I said, guessing around 20 - 30bhp more.

I personally had no issues with the hybrids, its just that every set I have seen have just not lasted... The singles do much better. If you want 420bhp+ you are going to have to do all the supporting mods anyway, in which case you may as well go the extra and get the single. Looking back, I would wait the extra month or 2 save that little extra and go single.

sorry to sound thick but what is TTc mode?

You lot have answered my questions by saying the single is too expensive i'l be happy with just over 400 bhp so no need to spend so much.

True Twin Conversion. The turbos are run in parallel, bothe coming in at the same time instead of one leading in and the second continuing the power run. Sequential. :)

Hi Lee

Before I sold the Supra I had a few quotes on a small HKS single set up. My goal was going to be 550ish with a very fast spool time to cope with our roads. With all the supporting mods and fitting I was looking at close to £10k! After a long and hard thing I just couldn't bring my self to throw that sort of money at an old car and know I would never get it back. Plus I knew I would end up wanting more lol.

My advice would be to get some stock j spec tubbies and get it back to where it was. Then once you have the car back on the road with some cash in your pocket you may decide that you do want to go down the hybrid/single route.

• 4 years later...

"Originally Posted by bigbloodyturbo:

so you can make over 500hp on a set of hybrids?"

"Originally Posted by Gaz1:

nope"

I know this is a old post, but I was searching facts about Envy hybrids... And found this.

So I had to correct this statement, that you can' t make 500hp on hybrids.

I've had Envy hybrids on my Supra for 2 years now.

First summer (2011) it dynoed 478hp / 620Nm@1,4bar and this year 512hp / 680@1,5bar.

(Stock j-spec turbos were dynoed at the same place 2009; 1,2bar 404hp / 540Nm. )

My Supra specs: Apexi N1 3" catpack, 3" downpipe, HDi-frontmount intercooler,

Blitz dual sbc spec R, Envy Stage 3 hybrid-turbos,

550-injectors, Bosch 044 pump, Apexi Neo + Mines ECU, Trust/Greddy twin air-intake.

Cams are still oem J-spec.

Dyno 2012 2.jpg

Uusi kuva.jpg

Edited by vainio (see edit history)

"Originally Posted by bigbloodyturbo:

so you can make over 500hp on a set of hybrids?"

"Originally Posted by Gaz1:

nope"

I know this is a old post, but I was searching facts about Envy hybrids... And found this.

So I had to correct this statement, that you can' t make 500hp on hybrids.

I've had Envy hybrids on my Supra for 2 years now.

First summer (2011) it dynoed 478hp / 620Nm@1,4bar and this year 512hp / 680@1,5bar.

(Stock j-spec turbos were dynoed at the same place 2009; 1,2bar 404hp / 540Nm. )

My Supra specs: Apexi N1 3" catpack, 3" downpipe, HDi-frontmount intercooler,

Blitz dual sbc spec R, Envy Stage 3 hybrid-turbos,

550-injectors, Bosch 044 pump, Apexi Neo + Mines ECU, Trust/Greddy twin air-intake.

Cams are still oem J-spec.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]158043[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]158042[/ATTACH]

Thats impressive!!!!

Same spec as mine apart from injectors and Hybrids..... hmmm.... got me thinking now....:D