hybrids?

L33

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My supra used to run hybrids, with fueling system, link ecu, 264 cams, etc. I made 450 at SRR with a bad map. RyanG sorted the map and I would guess at around another 30bhp at the most. So that would put it around 480, running 1.4bar.

Hybrids blew shortly after I sold the car, but that could have been down to the new owner being a t**t.

Personal I would say go for a small single turbo if you want 500bhp. If you dont want the single, I would go for UK spec turbos and leave it at that. Be happy with 400 - 420bhp.

Not worth the extra cost if you are buying new!

i want between 400 and 450, thats ample for me

Then I would stick to the standard turbos, and keep the boost down.

Having had hybrids, I would not go that route again. I would go for UK spec turbos, BPU, with a decent fuel system, and some sort of controller or ECU (LINK worked well for me). Maybe cams as well.... that should give around 420bhp, but if you get a decent fuel system, decent fmic, decent ecu, you can go up to a single turbo quite easily and you have all the supporting mods

Then I would stick to the standard turbos, and keep the boost down.

Having had hybrids, I would not go that route again. I would go for UK spec turbos, BPU, with a decent fuel system, and some sort of controller or ECU (LINK worked well for me). Maybe cams as well.... that should give around 420bhp, but if you get a decent fuel system, decent fmic, decent ecu, you can go up to a single turbo quite easily and you have all the supporting mods

Good first hand advice there :thumbs:

Hyrbids just don't seem worth the cost or reliabilty hit given the expense needed to get any real gain from them.

I think that Graham would agree he could have done a small and "sensible" single conversion for less than the cost of his hydrid setup.

Good first hand advice there :thumbs:

Hyrbids just don't seem worth the cost or reliabilty hit given the expense needed to get any real gain from them.

I think that Graham would agree he could have done a small and "sensible" single conversion for less than the cost of his hydrid setup.

If I had of gotten the hybrids new, yes, definitely. But managed to get them off a decent member for next to nothing. Purely because I was out of money and it was the simpliest option. :)

Going back, I would have gone single in a heart beat now!!

What about a bigger set of twins, why dont many people go down this route. cost??

Check Lee P's garage Dan. I think there is one more member who's gone down this road.

Michael sold a pair of twins, Cheekymonkey?, good for 700 plus.

Not so much cost as aggro. Setting up sequentials in not easy.

you'd have to buy two of everything, although that said, ken hendersons twin setup is feckin awesome. I dont think his keeps the sequential though, true twin me thinks.

Darn right, sequential cannot be kept with a big twin upgrade.

Think of it like this (very rough figures, but lists the upgrade in order):

jspec TT: stock sequential or TTC - 300bhp peak

UK TT: stock sequential or TTC - 320bhp peak

jspec TT BPU: stock sequential or TTC - 420bhp peak

UK TT BPU: stock sequential or TTC - 420bhp peak

jspec TT BPU: hyrbid sequential or TTC - 430bhp peak sependant on spec

UK TT BPU: hyrbid sequential or TTC - 430bhp peak peak sependant on spec

single T67dbb: 550-620bhp dependant on spec

single big turbo: 500-800bhp dependant on spec

smaller twins: 600-900bhp dependant on spec

single massive turbo: 750-1500hp dependant on spec

twin massive turbo: 900-2500hp dependant on spec

It's a terribly rough guide, sorry!

There is a couple of upgrades out there that keep the Sq operation, but I've never heard of one in the UK, or Europe.

Have you guys seen these hybrid turbos created by speedforsale? They make over 500whp reliably!

http://www.speedforsale.com/newsite/techarticledisplay.php?flag=readmore&vid=15

I have a single turbo so I don't need these. But this would be a great upgrade if you have blown your stock turbos. They make both US and JDM spec upgrades. I think you have to send them your stock turbos though.

Have you guys seen these hybrid turbos created by speedforsale? They make over 500whp reliably!

http://www.speedforsale.com/newsite/techarticledisplay.php?flag=readmore&vid=15

I have a single turbo so I don't need these. But this would be a great upgrade if you have blown your stock turbos. They make both US and JDM spec upgrades. I think you have to send them your stock turbos though.

I don't think anyone this side of the pond has tried the GT28r route yet.

I doubt the hp claims as the US figures are always done on the dynojets, so aren't really comparible to the ones we get here. But from what I've heard they should be good for 500fwhp.

sorry but i dont see how a small single set up can be the same as a hybrid set up in cost?

hybrids are 1300 and a small single is 1800?

sorry but i dont see how a small single set up can be the same as a hybrid set up in cost?

hybrids are 1300 and a small single is 1800?

and for the £500 you would probably get 80bhp more...

I have not seen a set of hybrids last more than a few thousand miles. sheefa had hybrids, tricky has had hybrids and I have had hybrids. None lasted that long....

To get hybrids up to anything near 500bhp, you would have to do all the supporting mods for single anyway.

yea but im only looking for just above 400bhp, and run the boost cntroller at about 1.3 max

this is why im not going single cuz i dont want to keep sepnding 1000s on her and go to mad. the more bhp the more supporting mods, strenghthened internals and braking upgrades are needed and i need to know where to draw the liine :)

yea but im only looking for just above 400bhp, and run the boost cntroller at about 1.3 max

this is why im not going single cuz i dont want to keep sepnding 1000s on her and go to mad. the more bhp the more supporting mods, strenghthened internals and braking upgrades are needed and i need to know where to draw the liine :)

Take the advise or leave it... its your car.