The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V8 conversions - 2uzfe vs Ls1

Homer

The idea of a V8 has been tickling my gooseberries since my last visit to Thor.

They had their V8 Supra (2uz) up on the ramp; I have been pretty much convinced that a V8 conversion, with a V160 box, and a blower is the option for me.

I have been considering going single (properly - £10k+) for a while now, all those plans are out of the window

Be interesting to see some real world performance figures i.e: what power the block can cope with, what the rpm can be raised to safely, seperate figures for turbo and blown engines

V8 Supras; its the future, i've seen it

The largest car breaker near me got in a supecharged manual corvette a while back. My mate was looking at it to put into his wifes omega! £3000 for engine, box, loom everything that you would have needed. I think one of the local drifters snapped it up and is now in nissan 200.

I can remember when i said i wanted to do the 4.0l v8 conversion on here i got slatted for it. Over the last two years i have been in convosation with Thor racing and using the website Lextreme to fully gauge the work needed to be done. i was myself going to have thor racing do mine but them thought where was the fun in that and actully offically started the project yesterday. hopefully by october the engine should be installed and then im looking into having a eaton m90 supercharger set up from Bulletcars in Australia.

The idea of a V8 has been tickling my gooseberries since my last visit to Thor.

They had their V8 Supra (2uz) up on the ramp; I have been pretty much convinced that a V8 conversion, with a V160 box, and a blower is the option for me.

I have been considering going single (properly - £10k+) for a while now, all those plans are out of the window

Be interesting to see some real world performance figures i.e: what power the block can cope with, what the rpm can be raised to safely, seperate figures for turbo and blown engines

V8 Supras; its the future, i've seen it

Thor made a very nice job of theirs, it looks like it left the factory with that engine in. In fact I liked it so much, 3 or so years ago when it was up for sale I had a serious discussion with Pete about buying it. The fact it is manual on a box that can handle the torque is also an attraction to that mod. There was a lot of work put into it.

The only thing that stopped me was that I was deep into trying to get my NA supercharged. I also nearly bought a Soarer earlier this year as I do like that V8.

LS1 = old school :D

LOL! A Hemi is old school, LS series has fuel injection and a brain, thats certainly not old school by American standards;)

I would go for LS2 onwards, and they are very capable motors.

It always seems to me that the 2UZfe even when built and has a couple of turbos still doesn't like to be pushed to high BHP, whereas the LS series, besides having big torque as std, can put up with a supercharger and maker another 75-100BHP without complaint.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

But still capable :D

a single turbo 2JZ-GTE make far more sense both financially and for future upgrades. The Toyota V8 makes no sense at all if good power is the target

1uzfe + turbo is the way to go :)

I have not had mine on the Dyno yet but feels an easy 650hp at 1 bar boost and 6,500 rpm rev limit with massive low down torque and a T88 that is producing positive boost below 3,000rpm

Pro's

Engine and loom available cheaply

with Soarer mounts drops straight in

Adaptor plate available to use V160/161 gearbox

Light weight aluminium block weighs 100kg less than standard 2JZ block

Weight distribution is much better than with a 2JZ with all the weight behind the front axle.

Con's

Custom loom and exhaust required

Can't think of any other's that don't apply to a single 2JZ conversion.

When Ryan returns I hope to get this mapped to around 1.5 bar and I am confident that the stock engine will take this amount of boost, time will tell ...........

It's a tricky one....

1UZ-FE advantages

-- cheap to buy

-- easy fitting if you start with a Soarer V8, because the Supra used the Soarer chassis and the crossmember is the same

-- very strong and reliable (although the rods are thinner on the post-94(?) motors

-- DOHC and 4-valve heads

1UZ-FE disadvantages

-- only 4-litres

-- low standard power output (because it's only 4-litres)

-- no factory manual so you have the cost of a manual conversion and the ever-increasing cost of Toyota gearboxes (although the T56 is a possibility)

-- the lack of special parts

-- the cost of the parts that are available

-- the cost of forced induction (either turbo or supercharger) if you can't do your own fabrication

-- would have to ship parts from the USA, Australia, or New Zealand

-- may need to buy and fit a mappable ECU

-- may need to convert from distributors to coil-on-plug

-- compression ratio (if you want to raise the boost over ??psi), although it will be interesting to see how fearless gets on with his turbo conversion

-- the 2JZ-GTE

LSx advantages

-- 5.7 or 6 litres (or more)

-- factory manual

-- even the LS1 will (apparently) give an easy 400 bhp without opening the motor

-- factory tuning parts available

-- huge aftermarket in the USA and the resulting low parts prices

-- mappable standard ECU

-- torque

LSx disadvantages

-- pushrods (I don't see that as a problem, but some might)

-- the expense of fitting to a Supra if you can't do the work yourself (£5k)

-- much more expensive to buy (although I suspect that a 400bhp manual LS1 would be much cheaper than a 400bhp manual 1UZ)

-- would probably have to ship engine/box/parts from the USA

-- possibly weaker crankshaft than the 1UZ (bearing in mind the later 1UZ rods) at high power levels

I reckon...

If you want a nice road car, with a reasonable amount of poke (300bhp?), N/A driveability, and a V8 sound track, and can do most of the spannering, then start with a cheap manual N/A Supra and fit a Soarer 1UZ.

If you are prepared to spend £10K(?) on 400bhp and the above characteristics, buy a cheap N/A Supra, import the LS1 and T56, and call tinker-27.

If you want big BHP, then it's going to cost a lot of money whichever route you choose, but the 2JZ-GTE still rules.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Ls1 all day long, tuneable, and makes relaible big power.

This is local boy Chubbys Supercharged Ls1 S15, running link g4 exteme, and as some serious Grunt..on the line pick a gear..any gear

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/RIA/edc%20final/edc%20bhts/edcfinalbhts/DSC0948%20copy.jpg

and heres it up against the Sats/SSi Supra (690whp) at Manchester

hFAjqPFsWXA

• 2 weeks later...