The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra drift ability

AlexM

They are good fun as well.... although the engines are silly putty as Matt@AFR will vouch for :)

I can also vouch that they drive reasonable well on two and a half cylinders :D

I now have an S13 at the workshop (thanks Gav) and planning to strip it and track\drift it, for sh*ts and giggles really. I think I've found another engine but looking at other options, will see what comes up :)

Hi Alex

If your really serious about it check out this forum, see if anyone else is doing it in a Supra although tbh, not seen it at any EDC or demo events. Phil Morrison at Driftworks (member on here, has shoehorned a TT block into his S15 :D)

http://www.driftworks.com/index.php

As for power, I've seen AE86's (Steve Parry) with only 160 bhp doing the job!!

Strip it out, weld the diff, put in a roll cage, better hand brake, put on some camber adjustable Tein's and away ya go! sideways hopefully!! :D

Either that or spend a few hundred quid on an old S13 (will cost you less than modifying your supra, plus your gona stuff it into the tyre wall or armco at some point whilst your learning the ropes) Suprash on here has done and he's loving it.

Lx

If you are going for track day fun drifting, then the NA can do this easily.

Stripping the car out will reduce the weight and fitting stiff suspension and a stiff anti-roll bar to the back will help the case.

A good geo-set up to provide more front end grip and neutral rear end grip will also set the car up for oversteer.

And if you are concentrating on drifting then fit tyres that are not too grippy.... this gets around the problem of needing to raise the power to increase the tyre slip angle.

And of course an LSD is essential to be able to control the drift with any great success.

Oh I am assuming your car is a manual ?

• 1 month later...

Funny you should mention about drifting Supra's, I wanted Gav's N/A that he has sat outside his house to build a drift Supra, I knew I would have to put a bit of money into it before I even started to get it to a level to drift it, but there really isnt many Supra's, in fact I only know of one from Driftworks that drifts a Supra, but if for learner cars that are ready to go I would have to advise on a S13 probably, they are smaller, lighter and more power to weight ratio then a N/A Supra, which Im sure would drift nicely with weight transfer, but Im not sure it would when trying to power drift, I just dont think it would have the grunt to break traction especially with a fairly wide whelel......

But unless you are willing to do this to your Supra I would suggest again about buying a dedicated car ;)

But otherwise its lost of fun.....;)

an old BMW will do the job for a first drift car, you dont want to damage the supra do you? zip tie on bumpers & practice round cones, figure 8's etc.

If you check drift forums people sell their drift ready cars, welded diffs & everything.

Theres drift schools where they teach you in an S14 at Silverstone i think..

Supra is a little heavy, not that well balanced.

I think if you strip it all out and get some hard suspension and

2way lsd and more lock then you should beable to go sideways reasonably well.

If you dont strip it all out then you'll probably still beable to go sideways but wont be the easiest to hold and transitions will be very hard because of the weight.

I love my drifting but the supra is not an easy car to do long drifts in and the diffs hate it;)

Have you tried out the Kaaz diffs yet Jamie? ;)

In response to the original topic I'm going to hold fire on drifting for another year or two, and concentrate on sprint (possibly time attack later on). I really like the S13s but I don't have my own place yet, two cars on the drive is already pushing it. :D

Have you tried out the Kaaz diffs yet Jamie? ;)

In response to the original topic I'm going to hold fire on drifting for another year or two, and concentrate on sprint (possibly time attack later on). I really like the S13s but I don't have my own place yet, two cars on the drive is already pushing it. :D

I had a kaaz 2way before and it was good for going sideways but understeers to much for a sprint car i think, having the trd one now its much better for fast road/track driving and locks ok for mucking around sideways fun.