The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Handling...????

kevo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you crash your Supra? Perhaps you could take your Scoob closer to the limits than your Supra, does not mean it was the better handling car.

Dunno if its just me reading it a different way to what you intended, but that comes across to me as a real dig?

I did, I shant go into circumstances. I totally agree on the steering issue though, its the worst part of the car, far far far too light.

I'm personally commenting from my experience of a number of cars I've owned. There is always the rose tinting going on to the car you own and thus defend it etc but I'm just trying to say what I found. On a B road my scoob would have been all over my supra.

I've said it on here many times though, they are all great cars designed to do different things well............

Not intended as an insult, just an observation. The supras RWD/power/power delivery and vague steering make it difficult, and obviously not to your tastes. However, YOU can handle a Scooby better than a Supra, a subtle difference from a Scoob handling better than a Supra. Just wanted that to be clear.

I presume that those complaining about too light steering on the Supra have converted/delimited the car correctly so the progressive power steering is seeing the correct kph signal? If you don't do this the steering is too over assisted - done properly I find the steering reasonably weighty.

Whilst your on the phone...Why not ask them..How much for a rebuild.....????????
my mates had a lot of problems with skyline engines. should be a thing of the past with his built up engine comes back.

when he was looking into getting an engine rebuilt he talked with the big skyline tuner and they would not look at it for less than 5k. it was cheaper for him to ship his bits to aus and get a beast of a rb30 built with 1 off custom parts.

even built engines by tuners have let go. i have read of lots of gtr`s letting go. my nephews mate bought a r34 gtr and a week later it let go, turbos went and took engine with it. he spent way more than 5k getting it built up with uprated parts and turbos.

they are awesome cars when running.

im crap at driving, when i was at an elvington day with track i thought i would give it a go. was throwing me about like a rag doll. it was on stock suspension with black shocks and brand new tyres. was fun though. i tend to let off going round corners which causes weight to shift and spun car a couple of times. need to learn how to drive it.

Dunno what UK cars have to do with anything - Faye finds the steering on mine far heavier than it is on hers. Maybe you have a duff one? :D

UK, as in, without any form of fiddling/converting etc etc, the steering is still a bit too light. Though not doubt some converters on J-spec cars exasperate the problem further.

When I was looking to buy I thought the steering was extremely light and it did put me off a little, however the one I have now had noticebly heavier steering, and with the thor converter it's even better. It could still be a little heavier but it is quite shocking when you drive other cars to feel how weighty there are!

need to learn how to drive it.

Gonna be tricky in an auto ;)

Brake before the corner and accellerate out of it... although its usually a problem when you leave your braking late, then get your line all wrong compensating for carrying too much speed into the corner.

I think this club should have a track day booked up at Bedford Autodrome.

For the record, for all you total experts of 5 million posts on here who know everything, and condesend on a regular basis "There is sweet **** all wrong with Supra handling, however there is a major flaw in many drivers technique".

Thats IMO. So if anyone's Supra is in proper order and not handling, i suggest you try a race school or the like, rather than a £2K suspension job.

Yeah but Bedford is flat, local :D and an easy starter track. Nice place to learn how the car handles without risk of damage.

You're only bitter because they banned the scoobies :p

Never had one when that happened so I couldn't care less :p

What does irritate me though is the underhanded way they deal with it and its not the first time.......

Will someone either come and watch me driving, and/or take my car for a drive, and tell me what the hell is wrong with either me or the car? Because I am totally pissed off with the back end stepping out and sliding around the road, even in the dry. I've got Bilstein yellow shocks and Haankook tyres, so I'm guessing the tyres are the problem, or it's me.

Until reading this I was looking at selling the supra and getting either a Skyline or an EVO with 4WD. Looks like I might not have to now.

Chris

I've got Bilstein yellow shocks and Haankook tyres

OE on many Supra's in the UK was Michelin Pilot sports. Things have moved on a little since 1993, Yesterday I bought some of the new Bridgestone RE050 which on a quick spin seem Ace!. Personally, and only IMO, I think tyres are a very major part of a Supra's roadholding/handling. You could try all the suspension kits going, but if your tyres are "sure slide wonders" you'd be no better off!.

I'd be happy to drive your motor to see what up if i was anywhere near you. Might be worth asking Nathan @ TDi if he had time some evening to drive your car, as he was well used to his big HP Supra for many years, and could give an informed opinion.