The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can you get close to 400bhp on the standard turbo and ecu??

Guest ckuky2k

ah i am sorry but I didnt pass english at school so i am very bad with my punctuation and grammers. Please help.

Red. This is correct.

Grammar is singular. :)

didnt = did not so should be didn't. ;)

Actually the more you browse around here the more you english will improve. So, even better. :)

344 is pretty darn good too. Stock is 320 ish. A full service by a garage who know the Supra. Cure the misfire, take the cats out and fit a 1.0 bar restrictor.

If you're jspec 1.2 bar will be at the highest achievable but will probably be lean at full revs. That means high exhaust temps and possible damage.

Curing that means bigger injectors and preferably a new ecu and mapping.

Do a check for Cheekymonkeys recent thread.

All the best :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ckuky2k

Thanks Andy. the guys at Dyno Demon said if it didnt have the misfire it would have close to 355 360bhp i so am going to get the misfire sorted and do a fullservice and stick it on for a re-run and see what i get. i have read about bpu so i am thinking of taking it to Camco to increase the boost and fit the restrictor ring to increase boost to 1.1bar and see how much increase i can gain. anything close to 400bhp i would be very happy.

;-p is my grammer skill improving???

Thanks Andy. the guys at Dyno Demon said if it didnt have the misfire it would have close to 355 360bhp i so am going to get the misfire sorted and do a fullservice and stick it on for a re-run and see what i get. i have read about bpu so i am thinking of taking it to Camco to increase the boost and fit the restrictor ring to increase boost to 1.1bar and see how much increase i can gain. anything close to 400bhp i would be very happy.

;-p is my grammer skill improving???

Loads better.

I'm a little dubious of the 355 figure on a stock car mate. At least you're doing it right and reading up on the literature. Do it right and you won't incur those extra costs. ie damage. Keep us updated. :)

Edit. The definitive rolling road guide.

Link

Edited by AndyT (see edit history)

Guest ckuky2k

Does.t your boost goes up if u decat it?

Andy i have a front mounted intercooler, induction kit and a full stainless steel exhaust added so that should have gain abit more power.

I got the spark plugs today NGK platinum try to put it in but who ever had the car previously have shedded one bolt so i leave it to the garage to do it now, so i will not know if the misfire is cure until late monday. Fingers cross it will.

Also going to Camco in Warrington to see the speciallist to see what he can do about BPU and the cost involves.

Let me give you this info:

My J-spec did 354 bhp with 2nd decat, and full 3" exchaust, 1st cat still in. With the 1st cat removed and hitting 1.2 bar it did 390 @ 20 degrees celsius. Everything else stock (except for a walbro pump for safety and gapping the plugs) including the IC. Change that and I would guess crossing the 400 mark especially on cold days would be no problems.

BPU

stock is 0.9bar so you have a boost leak my friend, my advice to you is to get a full and comprehensive service including all fluids, check over all turbo hoses to get your boost upto 0.9 again and get that missfire sorted before you even look for more power

I've seen this posted a couple of times recently. Stock boost is not 0.9 bar... but yes BPU is the way to go.

Sorry for my ignorance Gaz, but can you describe what you mean by strangled?

I thought they were supposed to add a good 15 BHP?

I meant the stock J spec ones. They begin to run out of puff at higher rev ranges at around the 450bhp mark.

Adding new cams might add some more power but it depends what else you have done as to how much. Adding cams for me would be more about the power band than the extra few horses though.

I meant the stock J spec ones. They begin to run out of puff at higher rev ranges at around the 450bhp mark.

Adding new cams might add some more power but it depends what else you have done as to how much. Adding cams for me would be more about the power band than the extra few horses though.

interesting thread.

Oh right yeh i see what you mean Gaz.

Thanks for clearing.

Would you says its worth it with a BPU Supra which is Emanaged for instance?

Sorry for thread Hijack btw.

It depends what you're ultimate aim for the car is TBH.

A lot of people have had good results at BPU with cams but I've heard others say it's not worth the hassle for the minimal gains. If however you would be looking at a small single in the future then the cams would be a fantastic idea to make the most of it. When you get to 500bhp levels the cams really come into their own.

Then again, if you're going for a big single, built engine etc then you'll require very different profile cams again and they wouldn't work too well drivability-wise at BPU levels. As always, it's a compromise to an extent.

Guest ckuky2k

thanks bodil...

Now that i have sorted out my misfire and it rrunning like a beauty so that is very good news.

Replace the original spark plug with NGK Platitnum tip which cost £12 each but it money well spent for the extra power.

I will be taking my car to camco in Warrington to get the bpu sorted out and try to up it to 1.1 or 1.2 which ever is safer and put it on dyno again to see what figure can be achieve.

you guys have been a great help thank you to you all very very much. hehehe

Guest ckuky2k

ah yeah i forgot about someone saying the standard boost is 0.9 bar. it is 0.76 on the j-spec so i show gain quite a few bhp when the BPU is done.

very happy hahaha

Guest ckuky2k

i have check with my local garage and they check it up and say it 0.76bar at standard. What spec is your car mikey??? it is uk?

Yep.

Just as a comparison, my T67 made 545fwhp on stock cams. Ian C's car dyno'd a few minutes later which had exactly the same spec, except a pair of 264 cams, made 565fwhp. So even with a lot of extra mods the difference isn't all that great

Yep.

Just as a comparison, my T67 made 545fwhp on stock cams. Ian C's car dyno'd a few minutes later which had exactly the same spec, except a pair of 264 cams, made 565fwhp. So even with a lot of extra mods the difference isn't all that great

interesting...

Is it safe to run with standard cams with that much hp?