The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTi Tiptronic Speedm8 speedo converter

spartan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically, when a speedometer converter is fitted, the car is moving 1.6 times faster than the ECU is being led to believe? (kmh v mph)

So even with the SLD potentially locking into 4th gear at higher speeds, it is still potentially possible for the ECU to drop a gear in what it mistakenly believes to be a 'safe zone' in engine RPM?

If this is the case, then surely the best solution is to not fit a speed converter, and either fit a new dial face, or fit an auxilliary GPS speedometer that reads in MPH?

• 3 weeks later...

After a bit of deliberating, this is my solution...

Dial design.jpg

A set of MetalMonkey dials, with the scale altered to read in MPH without the need of a converter. It only read to 130mph, but a mechanical speedometer is next to useless above that speed anyway, and nothing GPS can't solve. :)

So as far as I'm concerned, changing the dial face and using the HKS SLD II effictively cures this issue. I will test this over the next year. :D

• 8 months later...

I realise this is a bit of a thread resurrection but I've read through more than once and I can't convince myself that anyone has managed to successfully delimit an Auto VVTI.

Has anyone actually done it without replacing the factory ECU, what level of success did they have and most importantly, what did they use to do it?

I realise this is a bit of a thread resurrection but I've read through more than once and I can't convince myself that anyone has managed to successfully delimit an Auto VVTI.

Has anyone actually done it without replacing the factory ECU, what level of success did they have and most importantly, what did they use to do it?

Has no one succeeded in this?