The mkiv Supra Owners Club

God

AlexJames

I find I think about it alot, lifes fradgile.

Dude you are barely even old enough to buy pack of wine gums and your thinking about dying? :blink:

The bible is a pile of w@nk, religion is a pile of pi$$. As long as long as my family are safe and well and there is food on the table I really couldn't give a monkeys about what happens when I kick the bucket.

Too much bad stuff happens the world over to allow me to even contemplate believing there is a god. If he does exist then he must be one fat lazy bandit.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much bad stuff happens the world over to allow me to even contemplate believing there is a god. If he does exist then he must be one fat lazy bandit.

I got a pi$$ take email recently with supposed letters written in to viz. One was in response to an article about the aftermath of a tornado. One woman was quoted as saying that her daughter, critically injured during the tornado, would be saved "as god was looking after her".

The letter to viz politely asked if the god saving the daughters life was a different god to one that tried killing her with a tornado. I found it quite amusing :)

I got a pi$$ take email recently with supposed letters written in to viz. One was in response to an article about the aftermath of a tornado. One woman was quoted as saying that her daughter, critically injured during the tornado, would be saved "as god was looking after her".

The letter to viz politely asked if the god saving the daughters life was a different god to one that tried killing her with a tornado. I found it quite amusing :)

:rlol: Crackpots.

Did you know there is more documented evidence that Jesus exsisted that Julius cesar!? supprised me too!:blink:

That is an interesting point... fair enough there will be evidence that a carpenter existed all those years ago who claimed to be the son of...., BUT there is evidence that David Koresh existed as well, born to a young mother of 12.

Dramatic comparison I know, but for me it just shows that fact can and is changed over time...

I'm cautious by nature, so scientific fact has more grounding, in my opinion, than some airy fairy stories supposedly written 2000 years ago (which have been scientifically proven to be no older than the 14th century).

Not trying to convince you to believe in the bible's contents but what about the Dead Sea Scrolls, they've been proven dated to near year zero.

I've said it before so I'll say it again. You die, you get put in a hole in the ground and the worms eat you. (or you get burnt in a giant oven)

IMHO science has almost without doubt proved that there is no afterlife, and if you actually think about it without applying fear and emotions then how can there be anything after death?

Yes it's scary as **** but it's something everyone has to face at some time.

My sister is massively religious following a horrendous accident which she only just survived so I have to keep my opinions to myself and I get a proper telling off if I "take the Lords name in vain"

OH and as for the Bible, IMHO I can believe that it exists and it was written a long time ago and those people did exist but I do think it's either enhanced or overdone, I think people were easier to convince into believing things that amount of time ago. If someone said "this guy is the son of god" they would go "really? I will follow you" kind of thing. THey didn't know anythign about the world/planet/universe like we do now so they had no reason to question. Much simpler times. All my person opinion.

IMHO science has almost without doubt proved that there is no afterlife, and if you actually think about it without applying fear and emotions then how can there be anything after death?

Well, here is the thing, and I suppose it is my 'belief', I'm atheist by choice, however I believe all myth/folklore has basis in some scientific fact.

As far as the afterlife goes, I'm a proponent for string-theory and I believe it is perfectly plausible that the afterlife people talk about is connected to the theory that energy is all linked via the the quantum string.

De ja veu could simply be explained as two strings tangling for a moment.

If it is possible for people to accept a higher figure in the form they call God, then surely it is just as possible that this basis is used to try explain an energy transfer between dimensional layers?

Is there a higher power than us, perfectly plausible...are they a divine god, doubtful.

I know this probably will grate on those that are religious, however I gladly accept you have your views but these are mine. As Supragal has above said, they were simpler times.

We have a slightly more informed (I use the word slightly because don't know anywhere close to everything) view of things and as such we don't need to use blind religious dogma to wrap unexplainable things in. We have moved on from being a people who accept things blindly and at face value to being more investigative and curious (sometimes to our own downfall)

God - the God delusion is a good book and delusion is an appropriate word. Many people delude themselves over many different things, but God is a common denominator. I guess each to their own as long as it causes no harm. I can understand why some people are more agnostic than atheist but the logical part of me provides some bias back towards atheist.

It's interesting that affluent societies tend to be more atheist / agnostic whereas poorer and sometimes less educated societies tend to be more religious. I know that's a sweeping generalisation alert and I certainly don't mean that with any disrespect or to be condescending - as I say - each to their own as long as it doesn't hurt or affect others in a negative way :)

througout the bible there is no contradictions

Really?

So what were Jesus' last words?

Was it . . .

1. "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost." (Matt.27:46,50: )
    And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." (Luke23:46: )

Or was it . . .

2. "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (John19:30: )

Aren't these different accounts of His last words a contradiction?

John 3: 16, For God so loved the world that he have his only one (jesus)that who ever believes in him shall not die but have eternal life...

Talk about your Psalms, talk about John 3:16... Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!

http://www.weboshawa.com/wrestling/stonecold_steve_austin/steveaustin.jpg

:)

Billions of people believe in and pray to a god. They get ill and put their trust in a god. They have money trouble and put their trust in a god. They enter Britains got Talent and they put their trust in a god.

They put their trust in the same gods that kill their family and friends, sack them, give them a health service to cure them yet kill them in their hospital beds with germs, make their cars fail MOTs, wipe out millions of innocents yearly from disease, war, natural disasters and famine...all perfectly ok though as its a gods work, 'mysteriously' part of his great plans for those that believe and trust in him.

Well done to those who have had their prayers answered, statistically you are indeed one of gods miracles.

Billions of people believe in and pray to a god. They get ill and put their trust in a god. They have money trouble and put their trust in a god. They enter Britains got Talent and they put their trust in a god.

They put their trust in the same gods that kill their family and friends, sack them, give them a health service to cure them yet kill them in their hospital beds with germs, make their cars fail MOTs, wipe out millions of innocents yearly from disease, war, natural disasters and famine...all perfectly ok though as its a gods work, 'mysteriously' part of his great plans for those that believe and trust in him.

Well done to those who have had their prayers answered, statistically you are indeed one of gods miracles.

Think I will stick to playing a bit of poker

im just going to stick with being a sinner/drunkard/whoremaster etc.

lets face it enjoy yourself now, do you want to take the chance of heaven and lead a normal boring sin free life? just to find out that on judgement day there is nothing!!!!

sod that, wine, women and song all the way for me:p:p

im just going to stick with being a sinner/drunkard/whoremaster etc.

lets face it enjoy yourself now, do you want to take the chance of heaven and lead a normal boring sin free life? just to find out that on judgement day there is nothing!!!!

sod that, wine, women and song all the way for me:p:p

lol :D

Nice attitude mate ;)

Just hope you dont mind sitting in darkness for a wee while if heaven and hell do exist :innocent::D

why should i care id be dead:d

Thats the point thats under debate ;).

Your body may be....but if theres any truth to the rumours then your soul will live on in torment for eternity in some nasty place for all that debauchery :D

I read somewhere that people are being sent to hell by mistake all the time. Some sort of administration error, wrong paperwork or something to do with immigration. They have a legitimate claim for relocation to heaven but its a total legal nightmare as heaven has no lawyers.

The Easter Bunny! Found out he's not real... Santa! Apparently he's made up too... I found this out at a very young age and dealt with it fine... Why do some people still beleive in God? There was hard evidence of the easter bunny... I got my chocolate eggs! Santa's proof - I got my presents at Christmas... God... Errmmm.. No evidence, but he has more followers.

I used to believe in God, I used to believe he would take care of me and my family and keep us safe... Then my cousin died in Feburary, had a heart attack and died on the spot. Then 6 weeks later, his son died of cancer which he found he had the day after his dad's funeral. So his mum has lost her son AND her husband on less than 2 months. I stopped believing after this. Blind faith has gotten me nowhere, solved nothing and left me feeling powerless. Deciding that I don't want to belive in these myths and fairytales anylonger has given me more confidence, more control over my life, and I feel a lot better in myself, like a weight has been lifted. I belive in science and evolution. Religion was created as a way to gain power and control people. Religious fanatics just seem to waste their lives praying to a none-existent god, blow up stuff and kill people. I believe religion is man-made, and out dated. This is the 21st century. Take a look at the world, it's nothing like it used to be.

I am still a spiritual person though. I'm not sure if I belive any set beliefs on it, but I know there is something more after life... Or I would like to. I'm not sure, trying to imagine just not existing baffles me. We always have our conscience, we always think and can hear ourselves thinking in our heads... how can that be silenced?

Wishing the best for those you care about...whether we call it prayer, or positive thought...has more to do with humanity than religion. As has been said on here several times, being religious is no guarantee of being humane. We dont need a fear of hell to live our lives in a 'christian' way.