Mike B

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

T67dbb is what i would go with for you're setup Mike :thumbs:

P.s i worked on a new Ecu this week that will do all you needs and for half the price of a MoteC or pectal plus alot better.

FBW, Cam control, Full active knock control, Cal switch with 7 positions plus lots more. Best bit is the resolutions is that good you can have rpm breakpoints that are as small as 25rpm :cool:

You will hear alot more soon though as a supra is now running on one and i have been working on it this week.

Ryan

so where is a good place to start looking for a good price on a TO4Z do you think... any ideas..? my usual supplier doesn't do them...

and the 4088R is repairable, but at cost and with shipping to the US it may not be worth it.. anyone recommend a good turbo builder in the UK?

Try Universal Turbos for a rebuild/change of inducer, they know there stuff, and are very helpful,http://www.universal-turbos.com/head.htm

Going off topic, but since we are talking single turbos, can anyone recommend the correct angle for the turbo outlet to std IC pipe location:)

This may be of interest:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/91365-garrett-group-buy-anyone.html

I know nothing of this chap save what I read in the forum, prices seem keen though.

I can't understand why people with these failures don't TELEPHONE somewhere like Turbo Dynamics, Turbo Technics, or Owen Developments and ask if they'd look at the photos if they were e-mailed to them, and comment on the damage. By phoning you should get a personal e-mail address to send to rather than a catch all, bin most generic sales@ one.

I have the BL T67 DBB and it seems OK, Seems to deliver similar power and pickup to the T04R I had on before. I could whip mine out and take a look and a few pics of the exhaust side if you like at the weekend. Is the T04Z not just a T04R with a fancy compressor housing? I'm sure I saw the T04Z's on ebay when I was looking for a turbo for around £700-800

EDIT Ah now I see not all tubbies called T04Z's are actually HKS http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T04Z-Turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcategoryZ33742QQihZ007QQitemZ170222768225QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V for instance

A few weeks ago I removed the BL T67dbb turbo from my old car after a gasket failure. The exducer and compressor were like new, not a mark on them. This was after about 6k miles/1.5 years of use, though probably only half of that was very hard use. I've yet to hear of a failure.

Ryan posted some dyno comparisons a while ago that showed the T67dbb to have the same spool under high load as the T61 on a tubular manifold (same dyno, same spec car)

T67dbb is what i would go with for you're setup Mike :thumbs:

P.s i worked on a new Ecu this week that will do all you needs and for half the price of a MoteC or pectal plus alot better.

Let me know, I'd be interested to hear costings for after the tubby is replaced I am on the war path with the FBW. I know of very few people who run high power cars and get away without removing it.

I have the BL T67 DBB and it seems OK, Seems to deliver similar power and pickup to the T04R I had on before. I could whip mine out and take a look and a few pics of the exhaust side if you like at the weekend. Is the T04Z not just a T04R with a fancy compressor housing?

mmmm... need to do some more digging, I had a pm from Ernie who is made up on the TO4Z, and he's been through quite a few.

A few weeks ago I removed the BL T67dbb turbo from my old car after a gasket failure. The exducer and compressor were like new, not a mark on them. This was after about 6k miles/1.5 years of use, though probably only half of that was very hard use. I've yet to hear of a failure.

Ryan posted some dyno comparisons a while ago that showed the T67dbb to have the same spool under high load as the T61 on a tubular manifold (same dyno, same spec car)

That is impressive, and the durability seems excellent... they are a good price too! Whats the opinion on turbine housing ar's? .85 again?

I Would like to say thanks to everyone who commented on this thread; this forum is a one of the biggest plus points of owning a supra.

That is impressive, and the durability seems excellent... they are a good price too! Whats the opinion on turbine housing ar's? .85 again?

Mine had the 0.68 housing which offers optimum spool and virtually no lag. Ian C's was the same but had larger cams and seemed to be fine right up to the rev limit, no major drop in torque and held boost flat.

Mine had the 0.68 housing which offers optimum spool and virtually no lag. Ian C's was the same but had larger cams and seemed to be fine right up to the rev limit, no major drop in torque and held boost flat.

I really struggled with the .68 on the 4088R - like it was breathing through a straw, egts were high too, and response was poor.

I might get it with 2 housings to play.

My 4088R housings will not fit as the cartridge will be larger I'm guessing...

They're completely incompatible Mike.

I wouldn't compare your experience on the housings between the 4088 and the T67 as their specifications and compressor maps are very different.

I really struggled with the .68 on the 4088R - like it was breathing through a straw, egts were high too, and response was poor.

I might get it with 2 housings to play.

You can't compare the two, the exhaust wheels on Garrett turbos are designed for use with larger exhaust housings. My old GT35R had a .81 A/R housing IIRC whereas my T67DBB has a .68.

i worked on a new Ecu this week that will do all you needs and for half the price of a MoteC or pectal plus alot better.
Hi mate,

I can understand how an ecu could be 'cheaper than a motec', but how is this mystery new ECU better than one?

(not saying you're wrong, just interested to know - it seems a bold statement)

I wouldn't compare your experience on the housings between the 4088 and the T67 as their specifications and compressor maps are very different.

You can't compare the two, the exhaust wheels on Garrett turbos are designed for use with larger exhaust housings. My old GT35R had a .81 A/R housing IIRC whereas my T67DBB has a .68.

Good info guys, thanks... I had no idea.

waiting on some prices and then I'll be ordering asap.

Hi mate,

I can understand how an ecu could be 'cheaper than a motec', but how is this mystery new ECU better than one?

(not saying you're wrong, just interested to know - it seems a bold statement)

Hi Jake

Hope things are good with you.

I really would love to tell you more about company that have developed the unit but I can tell you that the unit’s higher spec sister unit has been used widely in the racing world in the last year and they have now helped produce a new product that will suit the drag racing and jap market more with its pricing and features.

It is better than the MoTeC on many levels as listed below. Most of the below, the MoTeC does not have but if it does, this unit is on a higher level like table resolution.

- Faster microprocessor

- More onboard memory for datalogging and doesn't need unlocking

- Has built in Oscilloscope

- 100 Mbs full duplex Ethernet for connection to PC for programming and data download. Instant connection to ecu

- Has full knock control

- Built in wideband controller for LSU and NTK sensors

- Gear blip control for FBW throttle unit

- Limp home map if error is logged

- 25x50 table resolution

- Inputs for turbo speed, damper position, steering wheel angle and lots more.

- More inputs and outputs

Some of the above will not be needed on the Jap car market but alot of it is ideal.

The supra owner who has this unit fitted, has already commented on how much smoother the car is due to the resolution it has set up on the fuel and ign map.

Give it a week and you will find out alot more from the supra owner ;)

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

I really like that website:)

Add a forum!

I see what ya mean, Wez's weirdo T60-1 still rocks though, I assume they were all measured at SRR?

When you compare GT35R graphs though theres a lot more grunt faster midrange - even more than the 60/1's but they do have more legs, and then the 67's legs are on another level, I'll see what I prefer after a good few sessions with the 35R - top end is dissapointing though even with the cams

Edited by bolarbag (see edit history)

Hi Jake

- Faster microprocessor

- More onboard memory for datalogging and doesn't need unlocking

- Has built in Oscilloscope

- 100 Mbs full duplex Ethernet for connection to PC for programming and data download. Instant connection to ecu

- Has full knock control

- Built in wideband controller for LSU and NTK sensors

- Gear blip control for FBW throttle unit

- Limp home map if error is logged

- 25x50 table resolution

- Inputs for turbo speed, damper position, steering wheel angle and lots more.

- More inputs and outputs

Most of that you have or can have on a Motec, but it will cost more I expect. Faster processor, oscilloscope and ethernet connection is pretty much irrelevant I would have thought. Knock control would be good. Motec have wideband control but it's a cost option (most people have a controller anyway I guess in any case). Input wise, again you could have all those on a Motec but you'd run out of inputs if you wanted them all, it's got 10 inputs in total IIRC. You can get an add on I/O module to add a bunch more but it's not cheap.

Sounds interesting though. I'd be more interested in its reliability, build quality, software and support from mappers and the manufacturer than if it's got an ethernet connection.