The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RIP GT4088R.. another one bites the dust

Mike B

Wasnt the car mapped on the GT35R, therefore fueling and ignition was spot on for that turbo. With the 4088R you let the ECU learn.

True... but afr's were always spot on and I have manual control of ign timing. The 35R's turbine blade looked completely different.

I know I'm about to get decended on by the mappers, but it's the same HKS system used in many different cars with many different turbos....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe the gasket damaged it? saying that on the last 2 i broke i never had a gasket or antilag so it seems they may just be weak.

When I lifted the current one off the manifold it had 2 metal gaskets with a "divider" in the middle. one of them was broken at the "divider" but it didn't seem that something had come off it.

However the turbo looks exactly as the one in Mike's pictures

When I lifted the current one off the manifold it had 2 metal gaskets with a "divider" in the middle. one of them was broken at the "divider" but it didn't seem that something had come off it.

However the turbo looks exactly as the one in Mike's pictures

Ahhh.. I thought Jamie had done away with gaskets? So that's another 4088 gone on that car? I see a 4088 pattern emerging!

The divider you speak of is probably the gasket for the divided housings, as mine is a .82 non divided I put in a single non divided gasket, but these things are crap; the metal ridge compresses over time, then the bolts come loose and you get blow by.. when I came to take the ex housing off the manifold the bolts were nigh on finger tight!

If you use a divided gasket with a non divided housing I would think it would leak from the get-go....

Oh no, looks exactly like mine, that's 2 R's gone now isn't it?

Was thinking of replacing mine with a GT4094R if I ever needed to again, but having 2nd thoughts now.

Yup, 2 r's down and the standard 4088's are like bugs on the windshield it seems :(, shame! Did you replace yours with another? If so.. sell it quick! :)

yep. thats the 3rd one down. thinking of swapping to a T67 now (non dbb though)

That's bad, I'm thinking the same....

Why not go with a Precision??

A Precision PT 70 GTQ would do the job admirably :D

I'll go and have a look!

Why not go with a Precision??

A Precision PT 70 GTQ would do the job admirably :D

the website is half working but on every page in the top centre it hass the garrett logo, which means i may well end up with a 4088 and a precision sticker on the top :no:

Oh bugger! just about to fit one, but surely you can get it rebuilt with a different/stronger inducer for a fraction of the cost of replacing?

Thats what I was thinking?

I'm slightly annoyed too, looks like this turbo is not up to the job and I was about to purchase one of these soon, whats in between a GT35R/T61 and a T67 DBB thats reliable and watercooled preferably?

A T67 will be too big for track unless were talking Marham:rolleyes:

Oh bugger! just about to fit one, but surely you can get it rebuilt with a different/stronger inducer for a fraction of the cost of replacing?

I wouldn't be over worried Ricky, mine (precision)has done Marham, Brands hatch, lots of fast road and an afternoon of 600hp dyno pulls.

Sorry to hear about this mate...

The two Whifbitz supras use PHR T61 and T62 turbos, mines been abused for nearly 2 years and Bens has done a few hours so far and we've not had any issues at all.

Not trying to big up PHR, but I'm not sure if anyone's had any issues with them elsewhere.

Edited by SteveL (see edit history)

Not trying to big up PHR, but I'm not sure if anyone's had any issues with them elsewhere.

Same with my 2nd hand PHR turbo. Its had plenty of stick from me including 2 step etc and I am sure Paul Whiffin gave it loads of stick when it was on his motor ;)

Looking towards a new tubby, I can't believe that there is so much difference between the units. I've read discussions on here about generic cartridge types and turbine/compressor blades + so forth... surely a lot of tubbies, hks in cluded must use similar parts to all the other mfr's..

"The HKS Signature Series Turbos are Garrett based, but have re-engineered compressor and turbine wheels along with specific A/R and trim levels to maximize power output."

taken from; http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1993

it's hard to justify $3120 for a non BB unit....:search:

I fancy a TO4Z, as it is recommended a lot, but the price for the spec looks over the top compared to garrett and BL.

the to4z is a dual BB turbo ;)

http://www.aptuning.net/Garrett_Turbo_Chargers_p/garrett%20t04z.htm

Mike

I run the 67dbb .81AR on my street supra and absolutely love it!!!! I run the auto gearbox and i'm making just over 610whp at 26psi. Spoolup is absolutely awesome and it just keeps on pulling to redline!!! I have ran a few different turbos and i keep going back to this trusty unit.

Joe!!!:innocent:

Not that independant - but probably the only one with the resources available

I've never heard a good thing about the PHR Stage 2 though, it would be nice to see a car with that run properly

Do you mean that you've only heard bad things about it or that no-ones ever commented. If its the former then you should look at the US forum!

I'm not aware of many suppliers of turbos who can justify research in the way PHR can....

I'm looking at getting it rebuilt, but I'll prob buy a new one and sell this one when/if it gets fixed. It must be fixable... surely..

I hear nothing but good things about BL, has anyone ever had a failure - I can't remember! and PHR possibly TO4Z if I can get a decent price.

Ironically the tubby still works fine with the edges chewed off..

so where is a good place to start looking for a good price on a TO4Z do you think... any ideas..? my usual supplier doesn't do them...

and the 4088R is repairable, but at cost and with shipping to the US it may not be worth it.. anyone recommend a good turbo builder in the UK?