The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PETROL - filled up this morning... not again?

Mariusz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My God there are some thickos joining this club.

Boycott a petrol station for a month? Yeah sure cos they are getting £1.30 a litre...

If you put 50 litres of juice in your car and buy a snickers and a drink from the shop, the petrol station will make more money on the chocolate bar and drink than they will from the fuel. If you buy fuel and pay by credit card it will actually cost the petrol station more in fees than the profit they will receive from selling the petrol in the first place.

Our petrol prices are largely the same as Europe's, some countries pay more, some pay less.

The price of oil is driven by speculators and city traders. The duty on fuel as a percentage of the total price per litre has gone down, the raw price per barrel and VAT are what causes our prices to rise so if you want to petition someone for a change, ask the government to scrap the VAT, which is a tax on a tax. You may also want to ask the FSA to look into dodgy trading while you're at it.

THICK! what you talking like that for. its true how can one tesco near me charge £1.20 then one a few miles away charge £1.30. surely the garage is then making more than you think. don't start insulting members who are joining in!

THICK! what you talking like that for. its true how can one tesco near me charge £1.20 then one a few miles away charge £1.30. surely the garage is then making more than you think. don't start insulting members who are joining in!

Yep i agree with you, surely these garages of the same company in the same area are paying the same price for the stuff so why is one more than the other ?

2 texaco garages near me are within 5 miles of each other yet 1 is 1.26.9 and the other 1.32.9 :blink: doesnt make any sence, were being screwed over.

its 119.9 for 97 super by me, with normal a little less, vpower is like 120+ last time i checked. i do around 100-110mile a week to work, £30 just about covers it for now with a push and thats driving v-slow, cost me bout £6+ aday, sound right to you lot, 20mile round trip.

Sounds about right.

Costs me nearly £30 to do Leeds and back (~55 - 60 miles each way).

Prices are mainly to do with india and china as they are growing really fast and are putting a strain on fuel supplies.

Yes the gov't here needs to cut the tax on fuel as that is they only way to control prices at the pumps, but some how can not see it happening.

We need to limit fuel sales to india and china then :)

Individual garages have their own individual costs & overheads, they will also have different competitors which will govern the maximum & minimum prices they can sell their juice and keep their heads above water- if they don't they will go under and if you wish to google a bit you will see more petrol stations closed in 2007 than any other year. You also have a lot of independents selling their forecourts to the bigger oil companies.

Seriously, look into the figures and you'll find that the retailer makes a few pence per litre and the oil company that supplies the juice also makes a few pence.

Interestingly a Shell station near me had the Pay at the Pump facility removed as people weren't spending money in the shop...

Yep i agree with you, surely these garages of the same company in the same area are paying the same price for the stuff so why is one more than the other ?

2 texaco garages near me are within 5 miles of each other yet 1 is 1.26.9 and the other 1.32.9 :blink: doesnt make any sence, were being screwed over.

Im Sorry you are wrong. I only know this due to a family owned garage (not mine I wish :D)

Texaco etc... all have franchise's just because it has texaco name doesnt mean texaco own it as such. Due to this all petrol stations pay different rates for fuel. I cant rememebr the figure but they get price bands...sell 100,000 gallons in a year get this ...sell 200,000 get this. With places like tesco im sure they will try to group together an area. I.e there is 2 main tesco's in poole. So they may try to get some discount.

Its like bulk buying the garage gets it cheaper if its going to sell more of it.

Anyway just thought id let you know.

Im Sorry you are wrong. I only know this due to a family owned garage (not mine I wish :D)

Texaco etc... all have franchise's just because it has texaco name doesnt mean texaco own it as such. Due to this all petrol stations pay different rates for fuel. I cant rememebr the figure but they get price bands...sell 100,000 gallons in a year get this ...sell 200,000 get this. With places like tesco im sure they will try to group together an area. I.e there is 2 main tesco's in poole. So they may try to get some discount.

Its like bulk buying the garage gets it cheaper if its going to sell more of it.

Anyway just thought id let you know.

I agree with your argument to a point but

A mate of mine owns a local village garage and sells his fuel cheaper than most and he only has a small forecort with 3 pumps on it, he cant have anywhere near the buying power of the Texaco near me which has around 20 pumps and is on a main through rd, it's always busy yet there 5p + per litre dearer.

As you say the bigger garages must have more buying power so whether there franchised or not imo there ripping us off as there buying power should get them the fuel cheaper to start with.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)