The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Road tax prices??

SilverSoop

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think there's a bit of a grey (sic) area around the UK registration date of imports. From what i'd read so far it seemed that cars registered recently (the 2006 date mentioned earlier) and from now on would be caught up in the new system like silversoop's has :(..............but i thought Keancy's would be caught by this 'rule' too, but its seems she's escaped :)

Yeh i think thats because on her Vehicle enquiry it says null as compared to mine where it says M1 approval. Keany's car was registered in the same year as mine but no M1 approval or emission record like mine...

Who cares ? Thats what your gonna pay so swallow it or sell your car! rich peeps can keep the cars, poor peeps can by a corsa!!

:D Hairy muff, but the problem here is that one owner of two identical spec TTs made in the same year is paying twice as much as the other.

Who cares ? Thats what your gonna pay so swallow it or sell your car! rich peeps can keep the cars, poor peeps can by a corsa!!

Yeh i know, of course im going to pay it, i dont have any choice!

but it just the principle of the thing, how "our" labour like to rob us of everything lately...:(

And what ewen said, how can two TT's made in the same year be paying twice as much as each other,

doesnt make any sense to me!

The DVLA has told me (for the second time of asking) that its not how long an import has been in the UK, its how old it is that counts, or when it was manufactured. Hence any Supra manufactured before March 1st 2001 would be taxed on engine size only, whatever the date of import and registration in UK.

Type approval M1 is I thought, a model report...I thought a model report was not available for late model Supras, hence why since 2004 we cant import TTs less than ten years old....maybe Jurgen has some input on this ?

That would make more sense, I hope so as mine is a 93, but registered jan '08

That would make more sense, I hope so as mine is a 93, but registered jan '08

Yeh exactly, just read keancy's again and the year of manufacture was 1993 which is why there is no M1 approval and no record of CO2 emissions unlike mine which is the complete opposite hence why the road tax is completely different...

wow, this is all confusing. I'm driving a '95 imported in '05. I hope I'm in the clear. £185 is enough anyway as I only do about 3000 miles a year! Surely the point is that if you use the roads more you pay the price. Hence the name 'Road tax'. Now the government is using the emissions as a new way of taking more money off us. B*****ds!

Yeh exactly, just read keancy's again and the year of manufacture was 1993 which is why there is no M1 approval and no record of CO2 emissions unlike mine which is the complete opposite hence why the road tax is completely different...

I was talking yours and mine, both made in '98. If yours has a model report, then so should mine....on the face of it, it seems a model report for late model Supras has suddenly materialised, which may imply that importing Supras less than ten years old is possible. Thats something that excites me.

wow, this is all confusing. I'm driving a '95 imported in '05. I hope I'm in the clear. £185 is enough anyway as I only do about 3000 miles a year! Surely the point is that if you use the roads more you pay the price. Hence the name 'Road tax'. Now the government is using the emissions as a new way of taking more money off us. B*****ds!

If your road tax was £165.00 for 6 months when you last paid it, then it will have gone up to £220.00 for 6 months.

If however was £99.00 then it will have only gone upto £115.00.

If you check the dvla website-look on uzthedentist's post and go to vehicle check bit, enter your vehicle details and it will tell you what you will be paying...

I was talking yours and mine, both made in '98. If yours has a model report, then so should mine....on the face of it, it seems a model report for late model Supras has suddenly materialised, which may imply that importing Supras less than ten years old is possible. Thats something that excites me.

Oh right sorry Ewen, the only difference with yours and mine is that your approval is null and your CO2 emissions is 0g/Km

which would suggest i assume, why your road tax is completely different to mine...

OK so why did i get this?

Date of Liability 01 05 2008

Date of First Registration 13 12 2005

Year of Manufacture 1994

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2990CC

CO2 Emissions 0g/Km

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour RED

Vehicle Type Approval M1

The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £101.75

12 Months Rate £185.00

The got me down as M1 but still i pay less?

OK so why did i get this?

Date of Liability 01 05 2008

Date of First Registration 13 12 2005

Year of Manufacture 1994

CO2 Emissions 0g/Km

Fuel Type Petrol

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour RED

Vehicle Type Approval M1

The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £101.75

12 Months Rate £185.00

The got me down as M1 but still i pay less?

Well. I'll go to the top of our stairs:blink:

from now on would be caught up in the new system like silversoop's has :(..............but i thought Keancy's would be caught by this 'rule' too, but its seems she's escaped :)

Yeh i think thats because on her Vehicle enquiry it says null as compared to mine where it says M1 approval. Keany's car was registered in the same year as mine but no M1 approval or emission record like mine...

:D Hairy muff, but the problem here is that one owner of two identical spec TTs made in the same year is paying twice as much as the other.

Yeh i know, of course im going to pay it, i dont have any choice!

but it just the principle of the thing, how "our" labour like to rob us of everything lately...:(

And what ewen said, how can two TT's made in the same year be paying twice as much as each other,

doesnt make any sense to me!

Yeah, that has baffled me a bit aswell I must admit. :blink:

I have spoken to the DVLA this morning to 2 different operators and now have confirmation on this.

If your car was manufactured before 2001 you will be lin the old tax band regardless of when it was imported. However, if upon importing the vehicle you provide them with a CO2 Figure then you will be in the new tax bands. I wonder if this is a feature of the newer SVA test to provide this information??. Silversoops car must have CO2 information held by the DVLA hence unfortunately the higher tax band

I have spoken to the DVLA this morning to 2 different operators and now have confirmation on this.

If your car was manufactured before 2001 you will be lin the old tax band regardless of when it was imported. However, if upon importing the vehicle you provide them with a CO2 Figure then you will be in the new tax bands. I wonder if this is a feature of the newer SVA test to provide this information??. Silversoops car must have CO2 information held by the DVLA hence unfortunately the higher tax band

Yeah, but does this mean from now on when you go MOT your Car they going to start reporting your Emissions so they can catch us in the new Banding too?

Date of Liability 01 04 2008

Date of First Registration 01 04 2002

Year of Manufacture 1993

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Vehicle Status Licence Due to Expire

Vehicle Colour SILVER

Vehicle Type Approval null

£185 FOR A YEAR, so it means that if you haven't passed an SVA test recently they can't have your CO2 so i'm safe:)

Does that mean that some cars which will cost a lot less to tax will have more resale value!?? because they will cost less to run!

Well...thats just my bloody luck! I bet im the owner on here who is in the higher "road tax" band! :(

Well ok then, since ive got to pay the most, i'll pollute the most!! ;) :D