The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Grip, confidence, safety, comfort, the biggest lesson; I now own a new car.

Mike B

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably a really stupid question, but how does this compare to the standard stock JDM supra TT setup?

I find the supra a very twitchy beast... how will this make it feel different?

The stock setup I had was ok, but the rims I used (19") were not. I found the stock setup absorbed the chop better than the coilovers, however is was a mile off how the car feels now.

I love the supra but at the back of my mind I was always aware of it's achillies heel; lack of trust and as you say the "twitchy beast".

Driving round country lanes, braking heavily into corners, and going round at half speed, clenched up, nervously trying to feel everything the car was doing so if something happened I'd get a handle on it; (and I have lost one big time before; ended up wearing it as a hat in a field) it was hard work and unpleasent; you could feel the car was a big flat road only machine; small choppy roads were it's nemesis.

Now it's unreal... I know I keep going on about it,.. lol ... but I have a new car.. extreme trust, and at normal speeds it feels way safer than the underseery cars I have had, yet even when you push it is so much more agile and adhesive, plus all the nervousness has gone; the car is stable, unseatable, fluid and precise. Rear traction is also up at least 50-60%

Technology moves on... and the supra is 13 years old... these new dampers and springs are cutting edge stuff, coupled with the custom geometry set.. happy days.

What previous cars are you comparing it to, before I answer?

Well wasn't really comparing it to previous cars... but now that you mention it. Used to have an Accord Type-R (fwd) which really stuck to the corners compared to the supra... slight understeer issue but then thats expected.

We have an E46 M3 which has phenomenal grip and really out does our supra through the bends.

I've always been baffled as to why the supra oversteers and looses traction so quickly.

So you won't off it at donington this year then ??? :D

Looking back, I only stopped a meter or so from the wall, after a long slide.

The grip increase is huge, but as to it's progressive nature at the limit, I'm too scared to find out on the road - speeds would now be recklessly high, so will let you know if it rains at marham.

If it drives anything likes chris's skyline setup it it should be ok... he breaks and reclaims the back end about 4-5 times round each corner! I watched his car dance at donnington, being chased by that aggressive black evo.

If it drives anything likes chris's skyline setup it it should be ok... he breaks and reclaims the back end about 4-5 times round each corner! I watched his car dance at donnington, being chased by that aggressive black evo.

You should try it from the inside. :scared:

Chris, are the Bilsteins you use the same as the jap spec yellow Bilsteins? In other words, can you simply revalve those, or is it a case of buying new dampers?

As I understand it the Euro Bilsteins are made in Germany, whilst the Japs build them under license over there (or something like that).

Chris has mentioned to me before he's more limited in what he can do with the JSpec ones.

Chris, are the Bilsteins you use the same as the jap spec yellow Bilsteins? In other words, can you simply revalve those, or is it a case of buying new dampers?

I need to use German (European) made Bilsteins, the valving in the J-Spec ones is different and the German parts i use apparently don't fit Japanese ones.

I think people overlook their tyres. Some cars are designed to work with a particular set in mind.

My Avon zz3's aren't the grippiest things I've ever used but they have lots of feel and lots of progression.

New stock dampers & bushes also make a massive difference in ride quality- I suspect the people who accuse the Supe of being barge like, perhaps drive or have driven tired cars with shite geo.

The best my car ever handled was when I had the use of UK17's with Bridgestone Potenzas, but while I'm one of the forums biggest cheerleader when it comes to function over form, I went for 18 inch multispokes for purely aesthetic reasons.

I've driven all sorts of TVR's, a Lotus, many M3's the new XKR, new CTR and many others I can't be arsed to mention and I rate the Supra very highly, the only car that moves the game on for me is the Jag.

chris; post #61???

I don't think you can compare a year 2000 M3 with a car marketed first in 1993 :) The FWD car will always feel safer and more stable, but is ultimately a design disaster for handling. This is backed up by the fact RWD cars racing in say the BTCC are weight penalised against the FWD cars, as they are technically superior, handling wise. I still think for its age, weight, weight bias and market place the MKIV is a pretty exemplary RWD GT Coupe. In my experience poor grip and handling on the MKIV is most usually caused by poor tyres, none stock wheel and tyre sizes, wrong wheel offsets, none stock geo, or none stock dampers and springs, usually of Japanese aftermarket origin. Get someone to drive your car, and vice versa, who has a known well set up, shod and maintained example, to see what you, and they, think.

Supras just had a new set of rear tyres (non stock), suspension and other handling characteristics are still absolutely stock.

How can you improve the handling? How much better will it be compared to the standard setup?

I want the supra I have to be both great on the track and the road. I don't want a drag machine!