The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Grip, confidence, safety, comfort, the biggest lesson; I now own a new car.

Mike B

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the slight hijack Mike but this is related:

Chris - on stock 17" wheels what size and brand of tyres do you recommend for greatest cornering grip and progressiveness and power transfer to the road for wet and cold road driving during the winter months? (This is for a manual 400bhp Supra, stock weight, Tein suspension*)

*I know you hate Tein so no need to mention it ;)

Yes, need to know specs please. Wheel diameter and offset, centre bore hole size, tyre make and sizes, make and age of dampers and springs, when was it last checked for a full alignment?

volk gts wheels 19s pilot sport tyres 255 35 19 295 30 19 the coilovers are blitz not sure on the age will also need to find out my offset

It'll never handle, sorry. Too big a rim diameter, too low a profile tyre, too wide a tyre, and wacky dampers, probably with far too high a spring rate. The offsets are probably very wrong, to get the tyres from stopping rubbing. It will do just what you describe, you'd be wasting your money trying to make the combo work, sorry.

It'll never handle, sorry. Too big a rim diameter, too low a profile tyre, too wide a tyre, and wacky dampers, probably with far too high a spring rate. The offsets are probably very wrong, to get the tyres from stopping rubbing. It will do just what you describe, you'd be wasting your money trying to make the combo work, sorry.

there must be something i can do to improve it i understand that my tyre size will never make it perfect

Out of interest Chris, what don't you like about Tiens? Not that I have them, but was offered a very favourable rate for supply and fitting...

Lack of build quality and very crude valving. They are nothing like as sophisticated internally as a Bilstein, even a basic Bilstein, and IMO come nowhere near on quality of materials used. Value for money wise, you can't beat Bilstein and Koni.

See post number 8 above. I forgot to charge Mike for a set of stock top mounts as his dampers came with small diameter springs and uniball top mounts that I couldn't use with my springs and the Bilsteins. But if you have stock type suspension the price of £1250 fitted should hold good, assuming no adjusters are seized.

Chris what should I have on my sandwich for work tomorrow, ham & cheese or cheese and pickle? :D

Actually i just went out in Sup for baked potatoe, I'd highly recommend it, and as for the setup... now the 3rd time I have driven it and my god.. it's just increadible.

So tactile, nimble, precise; 80 now feels like 50 used to do, and it's so quiet! I wonder how much road noise/vibration comes through the shock and spring system? I fair bit I'd guess.

Actually i just went out in Sup for baked potatoe, I'd highly recommend it, and as for the setup... now the 3rd time I have driven it and my god.. it's just increadible.

So tactile, nimble, precise; 80 now feels like 50 used to do, and it's so quiet! I wonder how much road noise/vibration comes through the shock and spring system? I fair bit I'd guess.

Uniball top mounts transmit a LOT of noise, so going to stock ones will have helped. Your springs had no rubber isolators, so transmitted a lot of road noise via their medium, too.