The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Toyota supra what is it?

supradriver

I would say its a sports GT. Look at Aston Martins you wouldnt say they are sports cars or supercars they GT's back in 93 the supe was the jap version of the aston. A big lary coupe.

When Top Gear did their supercar showdown back in the 90's the jap reprisentatives were a R33 GTR and an NSX no supra.

The term GT covers a wide range of cars. Some say a GT car is basically something that cruises along a motorway with ease. The Supra is much more than that. Other wise why the need for active spoilers, traction control, rear wing, 6 gears etc. etc.

I'd class it as a sports GT. As it covers much more ground in the sports car area than it does as a simple cruiser.

In its day I'd also say it was a Supercar... but not by todays standards. Supercars have to be 'super' above the current makes and models on sale and therefore the goals and boudaries are always changing.

A few tweaks and the Supra can lap a track just as quick as 'sports' cars. The size of a car doesn't neccessarily dictate it to be a sports car or not. Its more the feel, the agilility, and capability.

(But then the term 'sportscar' isn't really properly defined either... there is the marketing term and then there is the literal term. Marketing - anything rear wheel drive with a drop top. Literal - any car that competes against others).

It sounds like this question "what is it" blah, blah, blah was copied from a mag somewhere,

What i like about the supra is it can be whatever you want it to be, to a certain extent, leave it stock and its a gt, modify it slightly and its a sporty little number, modify it some more and youve got yourself a supercar beater, leave it in the garage and you will have a classic.

Hey RedM. What a sad opinion of Art you have.

I mean it pleases the senses, by way of it's presence, it's sculptured curves and the sound it makes through the rev range.

I'm not suggesting it gets put in the corner of a large room in Battersea :p

Merry Xmas though lovey

Brooklands Books produced a collection of write ups on the supra from its 1983 roots to the later MKIV. In one write up its described as 'a high performance sportscar'. Another article goes on to say '...its sophisticated suspension and powerful turbo engine wer partially offset by its full-figured heft, making it more a sporty GT than a serious sports car...' in another article '...an ostentatious coupe'!!!

I'm with bignum on this, its truly what you make it, whether its a stock 326 bhp cruiser or a 1200 bhp drag monster (i.e.; Dee Ireland's CRD) and everything in between. Many people look on it as one of - if not the - most tunable performance cars out there. It creates its own niche and its flexibility as GT, track car, drag car etc sets it apart from its peers.

It also inspires a passion and loyalty that few other marques do :trophy:

Just my 2p worth ;)

Linda

Hey RedM. What a sad opinion of Art you have.

I mean it pleases the senses, by way of it's presence, it's sculptured curves and the sound it makes through the rev range.

I'm not suggesting it gets put in the corner of a large room in Battersea :p

Merry Xmas though lovey

I think he's actually saying that modern art is shite!