Big brake kits

captainchaos

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interestingly, the TRD big brake kits (using the Supra 4-pots or the LS430 4-pots) replace the front calipers only.

Is that on Jspecs, or are they designed to go alongside the UK/US/Euro spec rears, as they are larger. UK spec is 4 pot front, so I understand, Jspec is only 2, and Jspec rears, only 1 pot.

TRD Kits for the Altezza, Chaser, and Aristo using the Supra 4-pot front calipers with the original rear calipers

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_hp-brake.html

TRD Kits for the Altezza, Aristo and Supra ("UK" brakes) using the LS monoblock 4-pot front calipers with the original rear calipers

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_monoblock.html

As I said, it's interesting that Toyota sell brake kits which upgrade the front only.

aside the bling factor, are you really going to use them? heavy use on big trackdays? why don't you source some uk spec ones and go on holiday with the change ;)

As Mike says you only need BBK's IF you use the cars high speed potential. If you do the odd blast up the motorway and a few 1/4 miles a year, you dont need anything beyond UK with TOP class pads. All brake systems are only as good as the pads you use.

I can make the J-Specs live on track, but the pad cost is very high, disc wear will be high, and if dust and noise is an issue, you'll hate them :) Modern pads will allow you to run too small a brake set up, but still not fade. I used to be able to have the plastic tyre valve caps drip onto the paddock as molten plastic, and light my fag off the front discs on my MKIV, ages after coming off the circuit, but they didn't fade, or boil the fluid. Bigger brakes are for sure better, but they are not vital if you wish to persevere with the small set up.

What does this involvechris?

Would it be more economical to put a UK set on?

If you can afford something like the endless or ap kits id get them for sure over the others.

d2 and k sport are cheaper and more than adequate on track (my friend has ksport 330s and that cars stopping power is amazing) and for road use, where most people will use them 90% of the time.

Then theres uks which are pretty good, i have project mu 2 piece discs on them, ive used project mu pads and they faded easily, i also tried endless which were better but still fade and now have ebc yellows,they dont fade but take a while to warm up and are dusty. hence the d2s. Ill report onthem when theyre fitted.

braking from 70 on j spec pads is serious crap yourself time!!

Please forgive my lack of knowledge here but what makes them to small to dissapate the heat? is it the size of the callipers or the size of the brake pads/disk's etc?

It's the disks that dissapate the heat, although a lot goes through conduction too. TBH I whould think that on medium use the heat generated is always less on a big disk than it will be on a smaller disk, just becasue the smaller disk concentrates the energy into a smaller volume.. but the bigger disk will dissapate heat more quickly...

Terry had ducting from the nosecome directly onto the surface of the disk on the UK specs that were on my car before the rotoras.

I also read up on an elise forum about a kit that will duct the nosecone air into the centre of the disk (very well sealed too) and vent it out through the middle of the disk.. The guy who fitted claimed it helped a lot on track.

I can make the J-Specs live on track, but the pad cost is very high, disc wear will be high, and if dust and noise is an issue, you'll hate them :) Modern pads will allow you to run too small a brake set up, but still not fade. I used to be able to have the plastic tyre valve caps drip onto the paddock as molten plastic, and light my fag off the front discs on my MKIV, ages after coming off the circuit, but they didn't fade, or boil the fluid. Bigger brakes are for sure better, but they are not vital if you wish to persevere with the small set up.

Just what I thought. With the right fricton material (pads) it can work.

Anyway, I still stand by what I said. lol @ the fag lighting. :)

• 2 weeks later...