The mkiv Supra Owners Club

El-Glo Dials (interest only)

supra steveo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, if its possible to get km/h on the speedon instead of mph, then I would be in for two sets pre-facelift 6spd TT manual (I am in Australia, so we have km/h!) with upgrade invertors.

Reverse white dial with dark blue Euro style font, red shift line, no graphics.

(Optionaly no mph or km/h markings as the speedo numbers are indentical!)

Appreciate the postage to "down under" may be a bit more, but am fine with that.

International transfers for cash no issue (ask Si, all went through well for blue dash light conversion!)

i am not sure they do KMH i can ask though

If not, can they do it without MPH (ie with nothing?) as the markings for both are the same. (0 to 180)

Cheers

Thats exactly right! The numbers are the same spacing (0-180km/h or 0-180MPH) so as the dial face is going onto a JDM speedo, it will read in Km/h :-)

I stripped down a spare gauge set to see if I could move the fuel/temp gauges to accomodate a US set, but no can do, so really need the RHD sets.

Am going to a Western Australia Supra Club meet today so will see if there are anymore interested....

Ummm...it moves at normal speed! The mechanism is JDM, therefore is calibrated in km/h. The needle moves round the dial depending on the impulses recieved from the transducer in the gearbox. The needle doesnt know (or care) what the markings on the speedo dial are. The markings for MPH go from 0-180 (well, all the ones I've seen do, as does your illustration on the first page) On a JDM speedo the numbers go from 0-180, with exactly the same spacings as those on a MPH speedo. So, if I keep my JDM mechanism, and fit the MPH dial (without MPH on it!) it will function exactly as it should :-)

If you put a JDM dial (0-180km/h) on your UK speedo mechanism, it would show 60km/h at 60mph, because the mechanism is calibrated in mph.

I am not 100% sure if changing the impulse generator in the gearbox from JDM to UK spec is what changes the speedo readings, or if its the same impulse generator and there is a "conversion factor" built into the speedo.

And, normal "speed" for the needle to move is about 10-11 seconds to get from 0 to 180km/h (well, actualy more than 180km/h, but there arent any more numbers!)...so yes, pretty fast...

So, if there is an option for a RHD UK set, with km/h (0-180km/h) or with no "mph" logo (just 0-180), I would still like two sets as above :-)

I did ask tonight, but typical Aussies, want to see and touch them before they commit! As I realise this will be very limited, I may yet take a third set if the buy goes ahead, and sell them to one of the guys here(although many have TRD 320km/h speedos), we'll see!