The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Autobox Modes of Operation

Ian C

Guest jimmy4lfc

out of curiosity then, what sort of setup do you use to get the best performance out of your AUTO boxs?

So when in manu mode and hitting the redline (approx 140 Leptons?) should the box then change in to 4th?

Mine doesn't seem to do this, if you're in manu mode and giving it some beans when in 3rd it goes up to the limiter and just keeps bouncing off

Any suggestions? :confused:

• 1 year later...
Guest Muffin-Button
Yes... what DOES the red button do? :search:

It is the magic OEM NOS booster... -.- Its SHIFT LOCK! There is a whole thread dedicated to this question. Just search it!

I'm pretty sure If you slam L from 100mph you'll get L. It's a mechanical selection of fluid passages in the valve block by the shift leaver. It will also engage engine braking clutch B3 which will hurt and possibly lock the back wheels. The Toyota manual for the A340E for the TT also list 2nd gear as a possibility when in L should the ecu think it required.

Line pressure is increased (Solenoid 5) and accumulator back pressure modified (Solenoid 4) when in manual mode.

Looking for volunteer to test this as the old jags wont select a gear if its out of their rev range:innocent:

I managed to select R in a Volvo loaner while doing about 60 mph. That locked the back wheels and engine. Now I thought you couldn't select R while moving forward, alas not. Fortunately the box survived so the garage was none the wiser. :)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but i have a question.

I might be being a little bit thick here (and i probably am) But does the Manu button make it into a sort of poor mans tip tronic box? Ie: you can maunually change up and down through the gears at will using the shidter?

The reason i ask is that ive been told on several occasions that manually changing through an autobox all the time can damage the box. (also can you keep the gas pressed or do you need to ease off like in a manual)

Cheers

Peter.

MANU mode does not "hold the gear longer" as it holds the gear indefinitely anyway - it shifts when you make it shift. The exception is when the stick is in D, as described above - the shifting pattern will still follow normal logic, i.e. it depends on throttle position, engine load, and revs as to when it changes gear.

Lol turns out I'm wrong anyway, :D Apparently it makes gear changes quicker :/

Edited by safcdixon (see edit history)

I've already tested "does it drop down in manu mode if you select too low a gear for the revs". The answer is no it doesn't it remains in a safe gear until its safe to change. I've done it in both an N/A and a TT and an aristo. Yes the back wheels lock a little bit as they are going marginally slower than the cars rolling speed when it goes in gear. I have "pre-selected" the lower gear as I've headed into a corner on tracks which leaves both my hands free on the steering wheel and one less thing to worry about as I approach a corner. On the way up the rev range it will stay in gear and bounce off the rev limiter all day long until you change up.

If you leave it in D in manu it will use the lower gears but will change as soon as it can into the higher gear. In manu mode it will not change down unless the revs get to a point the engine will cut out.

Strangely my TT used to pull strong in L from standstill and then halfway through second would pull stronger if I switched it back to auto

I was testing the car out a bit today in MANU mode.

I had it held in second gear, i was accelerating as much as an NA can.

I noticed that the RPM's were at 8k.

My car is just an NA Auto. Should the rev limiter not stop it at 6850? Or does the MANU mode make you rev it until it blows up?

• 2 years later...
Guest RoxyTT

Probably a silly thought, but is there way a to program the box to auto down kick/blip(not just down shift) based on speed, rpm and torque conversion? When I first had an auto, I actually thought it was how they worked. You dropped to a certain speed/tach range and it would down kick/blip for you.

I suppose that's something from newer boxes found in more exotic cars?

• 1 year later...