The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing tyres and jacking rails

tayr

How do you guys go about getting your tyres changed without the garages jacking in the wrong place and damaging the rails underneath?

Mine are in pretty good condition and I want to keep it that way but what else can I suggest they do to avoid this happening ?

I know rear diff and front crossmember is good but can’t guarantee the garages will do it that way

For the rear you can get them to jack from the diff. From the front, if they can't get to the front subframe then go off the chassis rails, rather than the sills.

Thanks mike, might just have to be very assertive with my request lol, either that or watch them do it

I tend to jack the front with scissor jacks (don't use them on sloped drives!!) that have the slot in for he sills and my trolley jack under the diff (tip keep swapping sides/rear little and often to make it easier for you and so the weights distributed evenly) then I place 4 axle stands under different places, subframe or chassis rails depending on access required and then gently lower the jacks onto the stands, probably leaving 50-75% weight on the scissor/trolley jack but there is no drop to the stands, imo this is super safe?

I have these pieces of high anti vibration density foam that used around concrete bases for cnc machines that I put on the top of the stands that doesn't get fully compressed even with the weight of the car on it.

I have these pieces of high anti vibration density foam that used around concrete bases for cnc machines that I put on the top of the stands that doesn't get fully compressed even with the weight of the car on it.

I bought a handful of rubber ice hockey pucks for a few pounds that do exactly that. Spend a few minutes trimming them to fit and you've got jack-stand rubbers, trolley jack rubbers...whatever you need. Spreads the load nicely, and prevents any metal-on-metal scraping.

I bought a handful of rubber ice hockey pucks for a few pounds that do exactly that. Spend a few minutes trimming them to fit and you've got jack-stand rubbers, trolley jack rubbers...whatever you need. Spreads the load nicely, and prevents any metal-on-metal scraping.

Indeed, I have one of those for the Jack when doing quick one sided jacking point lifts for jobs. Whatever you do it's worth taking some time to get a few of these type of bits together to just make things quicker and easier as well as preserving the underside.

I grooved some heavy aluminium bar stock to sit over the sill returns which are reinforced where the little notches re. I can then jack up safely assuming the car isn't rot box, even if the jack has a dished steel saddle and not a rubber pad on it. It's a pet peeve of mine seeing cars with mangled sill returns :( I see some real horrors that could have been avoided if someone had modicum of care a respect for the poor thing.