The mkiv Supra Owners Club

doors wont lock

a98pmalcolm

Hay peps.

Random small issue happened today. For some reason my doors wont lock with the key fob nor with the lock/unlock switch on the door.

When I to push on the lock/unlock switch to unlock I can hear I can hear unlock sound from the doors (even though there unlocked already) which is normal. But when I push it to lock there's nothing.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with it but when I was tightening my door speaker when it happened witch is self tapped into the door card.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: I can lock the doors with the door key which will also lock the passenger door. So the central locking is fine.

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

I just checked all fuses no luck :(

It is an after market alarm. Just randomly did this.. I can activate alarm no problem. and deativate with the fob but the doors just aren't locking.

But they wont even lock with the switch on the door card ..

Just put an update that I can lock the doors with the door key which will also lock the passenger door.

You may have caught a wire with the screw, but it could also be the microswitch in the lock mech. I know that the mr2 ones were terrible for failing.

Best thing to do, is whip the door card off, and test the lock/unlock wires by sending them to earth. If the lock/unlock works, it's probably a wiring issue further back. If it doesn't work directly at the lock mech, it could be the internal microswitch

If I unlock and lock mine with the key, I can't hear anything, but it locks and unlocks.

I reckon the central locking control box is playing up. Quite common really. It's behind the lower glovebox on the left iirc and is about fag packet size, either red or blue.

It can gather moisture in the cold and wet and stop working. The alarm and immobiliser will still work, it just wont unlock or lock with the fob.

Not really sure on what check you can do to confirm it though, bar trying a known working one.

If I unlock and lock mine with the key, I can't hear anything, but it locks and unlocks.

I reckon the central locking control box is playing up. Quite common really. It's behind the lower glovebox on the left iirc and is about fag packet size, either red or blue.

It can gather moisture in the cold and wet and stop working. The alarm and immobiliser will still work, it just wont unlock or lock with the fob.

Not really sure on what check you can do to confirm it though, bar trying a known working one.

Strange thing its unlocks just fine.. With the fob and the door swich.. Just wont lock with the fob or door switch

Listy could be right, about a dodgy control box, but I'd definitely eliminate the lock mech itself whilst the door card is off.

If you look inside the door, where the back of the key barrel is, you should see the black plastic mech - it's bolted into the door.

There will be a wiring plug going to it, and two of the wires will be lock and unlock.

If you use a 12v tester probe, and clamp it to a decent earth point, then push the tester end into the plug, see if two of the wires activate the lock either way.

It's safer using a tester, as you can't accidentally send a live wire to earth!

I will try that Gaz when I can. Is it in the picture I put up a earlier in the thread Gaz?

I tried to find the control locking control box and couldn't see it.. I looked were the ECU is ect..

It's not there ;)

It's (iirc) forward of the door, passenger side. Up behind the lower glove box on the left somewhere. Not a lot of help I know :innocent:

When mine played up last year, it would unlock, but not lock. Not an incling of it trying to lock or anything. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't.

I would second the control box, as almost certainly the culprit. There are 2 separate circuits in the control box - one for locking and one for unlocking. Usually one stops working but the other is fine. so you can unlock but not lock via the remote fob (and the switch on the door arm) or vice versa.

The box itself is a pig to get to, it's behind the main dashboard in close proximity to the air vent by the passenger door. I ended up going in through the glove box, which was an interesting exercise in contortionism.

Mike

Strange thing its unlocks just fine.. With the fob and the door swich.. Just wont lock with the fob or door switch

I had this problem intermittently except the lock would work and the unlock wouldn't. The fault could last a day or the longest was 6 months. Not going to help you out here much as I never did find a cause but the car finally self healed and it hasn't reoccurred for over 7 years now. My car seems to self fix lots of things, it must have left the factory with some helpful Japanese gremlins on board. Figured its likely to be a bad connection somewhere deep in the electrics.