Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Legal Sizes For Import Number Plates DVLA Confirmed

Posting is my life! Club Member a98pmalcolm's Avatar
    Feedback
    13 (100%)

The Legal Sizes For Import Number Plates DVLA Confirmed

Hay all.
    Ok I went to my local number plate maker getting them to show me what my personalised plate will look like. I mentioned about the characters on the front plate for imports can be 64mm in height.

Now the guy there does amazing jobs with plates and all graphics! But he disagreed and said it has to have the characters at 79mm in height. Jurgan told me they can be smaller and I read on some websites that the characters can be 64mm in height at the front.

So I e-mailed the DVLA with the question and yes they can be 64mm in height. I have pasted the reply I got for any of you that get told that a Jap imported car number plate has to have the characters 79mm in height by there local number plate maker.

The Reply:

Dear Mr Malcolm

Thank you for your email received on 11/12/09. Your email reference number is 186847.

The Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) regulations 2002 SI no. 2687 came into force in November 2002.

These amendment regulations introduce a new regulation 14A, making special provision in relation to the size and spacing of characters in the registration number of some imported vehicles. These regulations also include the display of motorcycle sizes number plates on imported vehicles. The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

Also contained is an amendment to regulation 3, to prohibit the use of a number plate on which the background is patterned or textured, or gives that appearance.

Where a vehicle has been allocated a UK registration number, the number plate must comply with the specification and standards laid out in the Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, as amended. Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display numberplates with smaller characters if the vehicle does not have European Community Vehicle Type Approval and the vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size numberplates.

The dimensions for the smaller sized plate are:

each character in the registration number must be 64mm high
    the width of each character of the number, other than the letter 'I' and the figure '1' must be 44mm

the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a number must be 10mm
    the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10mm

the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5mm

the width of a margin between the number and the top and lateral sides of the numberplate must be not less than 5mm

the space between the bottom of the number/character and the bottom of the plate must not be less than 13mm, but within that space, the space between the bottom of the number and the top of the name and postcode of the person the plate was supplied must not be less than 5mm.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai..._vehicles.html

When filling in the form the email reference number 186847 will be required.

Regards

G Parslow
    Customer Enquiries Group
    DVLA

Feedback
    11 (100%)
    yeah I carry a print out from the dvla website in my glove box just in case.

What I really want now is to find official documentation stating that imports can run without cats if manufacture is before 95(?) and pass an emissions test. Then I can use a closer garage for MOTs.
    Jon has a RZ and an SZ . .

Stock FTMFW Club Member jevansio's Avatar
    Feedback
    52 (100%)
    Nice work, I will have to measure mine, and if over 64mm I'll carry that too
    My 1997 Black Facelift 6sp - Built Single Billet T67 DBB
    I'm going to hell.... who's coming with me

Hmmm.... Donuts Super Moderator Homer's Avatar
    Feedback
    68 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a98pmalcolm View Post
    The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity
    Which confirms that the smaller import plates cannot be used on the front of a supra, but can be used on the rear Which is what I've been saying for years
    Beer, the source of and solution to, all of lifes problems

98 RZ-S TT 5spd RSP
    94 GZ NA 5spd Aero
    93 RZ Boostlogic T67dbb 6spd (sold)

Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Feedback
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Which confirms that the smaller import plates cannot be used on the front of a supra, but can be used on the rear Which is what I've been saying for years
    True, but I don't feel that I have room on the front of my car to fit a large number plate on the car's front bumper. If I ever got pulled for that I would be refusing an FPN, having my day in court, pleading not guilty to go to trial and then walk out a free man as Magistrates have to work on reasonable belief, and most of them don't have the knowledge of traffic law to convict someone if you put a valid arguement across about plate size, and imported vehicles.... Been there, done that and got the T-shirt with the district circuit judge commending my presentation to the court and clarifying the inpertpretations of the law... whatever that meant?

However, I am not disputing your comment.... as with all things in life, different people perseve the same written text in different ways. And if a normal person "believes" your point is valid then a conviction could never be upheld.

Work... what work? MEMBERSHIP EXPIRED
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    When i got pulled by VOSA they said only the front can be done, as the main reason your aloud it is so it doesn't block any cooling. The back is a no no as theres no need

Posting is my life! Club Member a98pmalcolm's Avatar
    Feedback
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by downimpact View Post
    yeah i carry a print out from the dvla website in my glove box just in case.

What i really want now is to find official documentation stating that imports can run without cats if manufacture is before 95(?) and pass an emissions test. Then i can use a closer garage for mots.
    is that really true? "imports can run without cats if manufacture is before 95"

Feedback
    4 (100%)
    The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.
    If the UK car allows the fitment of a standard size plate then so does the import.

Ftting an aftermarket front bumper shouldn't allow you to use a smaller plate either.

I had a small front plate fitted when I got the car so I just left it on, the Police pulled me over for having an extra space in the rear plate. He asked me what the front plate was like without even looking at it so i told him.

I saw the error of my ways and was more than happy to fit standard plates, I should've done it earlier. You soon get used to the standard size front plate and it's nice to be legal and not to give the Police an excuse to pull you over.
    97 TT VVTI 6-Speed - RZ - BPU

19" Volk GTC's

Factory Leather Recaro's & CF Steering Wheel , Reas Suspension

Feedback
    22 (100%)
    Hay all.
    Ok I went to my local number plate maker getting them to show me what my personalised plate will look like. I mentioned about the characters on the front plate for imports can be 64mm in height.

Now the guy there does amazing jobs with plates and all graphics! But he disagreed and said it has to have the characters at 79mm in height. Jurgan told me they can be smaller and I read on some websites that the characters can be 64mm in height at the front.

So I e-mailed the DVLA with the question and yes they can be 64mm in height.

Just so people don't misunderstand, this does not necessarily mean that you can have smaller than 79mm character number plates on a Supra.
    It only applies to vehicles which cannot be fitted with standard sized plates.
    A standard sized plate can fit a Supra no problem so this 'loophole' doesn't really apply to our cars.

---------
    Edit:
    I see Merckx has made a similar point whle I was writing the above.
    Last edited by Jake; 13-12-09 at 00:38.
    Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick Two.
    '03 Estoril Blue 53 plate BMW ///M3 6sp manual
    '93 Thunderstorm RZ Auto BPU 116.27mph mile Sold
    '95 Black RZ 6sp TT Sold
    '98 White VVTi Tiptronic BPU 4.993sec 0-60mph Sold
    '00 RSP VVTi 6sp GT40 single turbo 130.0mph mile 544.7 BHP, 520 Lbs/Ft torque Sold

Feedback
    11 (100%)
    On my do luck it blocks the radiator which may have been on when i imported it so import plate would be allowed (in my opinion). It is also the only place I can put it where it would be at 90 which I think is part of the regulations as well.

The decats is what I've seen posted on forums a few times, but no link to any official documentation. A garage FCM motorsport in Bristol, told me this when I had my skyline MOT'd that had cats in, they said that as it's an import it wasn't needed and they had clarified this with Vosa apparently.
    Jon has a RZ and an SZ . .

Posting is my life! Club Member
    Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Just so people don't misunderstand, this does not necessarily mean that you can have smaller than 79mm character number plates on a Supra.
    It only applies to vehicles which cannot be fitted with standard sized plates.
    A standard sized plate can fit a Supra no problem so this 'loophole' doesn't really apply to our cars.

---------
    Edit:
    I see Merckx has made a similar point whle I was writing the
    above.
    I disagree. You could nail a normal size plate onto any car if you were brutal enough about it.
    The standard plate mount is too small to fit a normal plate. It overhangs and isn't supported at the ends.
    I would argue that as a result you could legitimately use a smaller size plate.

I imagine the parts are the same between a UK spec and an import, but it's kinda irrelevant because in the eyes of the law the two are different cars (hence the no type approval and not being able to import them for a while).
    Tony License
    Oxford UK
    '93 JDM BTT GZ 6Spd conversion

Pushing for the championship....

Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreWRC View Post
    True, but I don't feel that I have room on the front of my car to fit a large number plate on the car's front bumper
    What bumper do you have on your car?

Hmmm.... Donuts Super Moderator Homer's Avatar
    Feedback
    68 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreWRC View Post
    True, but I don't feel that I have room on the front of my car to fit a large number plate on the car's front bumper. If I ever got pulled for that I would be refusing an FPN, having my day in court, pleading not guilty to go to trial and then walk out a free man as Magistrates have to work on reasonable belief, and most of them don't have the knowledge of traffic law to convict someone if you put a valid arguement across about plate size, and imported vehicles.... Been there, done that and got the T-shirt with the district circuit judge commending my presentation to the court and clarifying the inpertpretations of the law... whatever that meant?
    Your car has a non-OEM bumper so your entire argument is null and void. You've claimed to work in traffic previously, so thought you would understand all this by now...
    Beer, the source of and solution to, all of lifes problems

98 RZ-S TT 5spd RSP
    94 GZ NA 5spd Aero
    93 RZ Boostlogic T67dbb 6spd (sold)

TT-6 Aerotop owning Authorised Hobbyist
    Club Member
    Feedback
    48 (100%)
    i will remember this the next time i get pulled lol i think i will write it down on a bit of paper and pull it out and quote it .............. they will probably think i am a cocky git and rip my car to bits looking for something to do me for then
    How to fit your S2000 Stubby aerial
    http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=226139

Feedback
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TLicense View Post
    The standard plate mount is too small to fit a normal plate. It overhangs and isn't supported at the ends.
    So it overhangs a couple of inches? I dont see how that stops it being fitted. Why would a number plate have to be supported at the very ends? Lots of them aren't.
    Many brand new bikes have rear plates fitted that over hang and arent bolted at the outer edges.

Seems like there's a lot of wishful thinking in this thread to me.
    Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick Two.
    '03 Estoril Blue 53 plate BMW ///M3 6sp manual
    '93 Thunderstorm RZ Auto BPU 116.27mph mile Sold
    '95 Black RZ 6sp TT Sold
    '98 White VVTi Tiptronic BPU 4.993sec 0-60mph Sold
    '00 RSP VVTi 6sp GT40 single turbo 130.0mph mile 544.7 BHP, 520 Lbs/Ft torque Sold

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast