The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Legal Sizes For Import Number Plates DVLA Confirmed

a98pmalcolm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sheesh. Don't be so touchy. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you could run circles around me when it comes to the law. However engineering and aerodynamics is something I've been heavily involved with for over a decade.

Or is it true that the police really do know everything about everything?

I find the traffic lot to be far more jobsworthish than the response teams....just don't tar everyone as unintelligent halfwits lol.

I'm sure I could base an argument on the fact that the aerodynamic forces would bend the overhangs back and could scuff the paintwork or something similar. It wouldn't take much to bewilder your average plod I shouldn't imagine, and luckily for me, my credentials in this particular area would far outweigh his. So likelihood of anything happening - very slim.

thats what i told the copper, the reason my front plate is not as long as the uk one and that the uk has bigger base.

You've hit the nail on the head there though haven't you. You've had to modify something to make it fit.

If pushed I'm sure I could base an argument on the fact that the aerodynamic forces would bend the overhangs back and could scuff the paintwork or something similar. It wouldn't take much to bewilder your average plod I shouldn't imagine, and luckily for me, my credentials in this particular area would far outweigh his. So likelihood of anything happening - very slim.

You also have to remember that unless you're unlucky enough to be pulled over whilst next to a UK spec Supe, then they've nothing to compare it against.

I would fit whatever makes you happiest, and really not worry about it.

As you correctly say the front jspec plate holder doesn't fully allow the standard plate to be fitted (though is VERY easily adapted to allow this), but does allow a 'standard' sized Jspec square plate with the smaller letters on it to be fitted, which is the same one that came with the car from the factory. So, like the rear it'd need the jspec sized square plate. This plate does cover part of the intake area, but this was how Toyota designed it.

Unless you have a very short reg number it's not possible to conform to the letter size restrictions and get them all on one line within the space allowed. If you see what I mean.

Your car has a non-OEM bumper so your entire argument is null and void. You've claimed to work in traffic previously, so thought you would understand all this by now...

No Homer I think you will find that you are wrong, if the car is modified legally ie a diff bumper and that precludes the use of a full size plate then you can fit the import one, many years ago when the law was introduced that you could not have fluffy dice/girlfriends knickers etc hanging from your rear view mirror because it blocked the view there was a test case involving a mini with a big block chevy and a supercharger sticking thru the bonnet, the case was found in favour of the mini because it was a mechanical alteration which the guy was entitled to do, on your reckoning they would have just said minis do not come with 7.5 liter blown engines.

So if you modify a jap import Supra so that it can't be fitted with a standard sized number plate you can legally fit a smaller one?

And if you do the same to a UK Supra, then what? Is it legal or illegal?

I only wish us average plod could one day achieve a level of intelligence like your's.

Yours. ;)

So if you modify a jap import Supra so that it can't be fitted with a standard sized number plate you can legally fit a smaller one?

Yours. ;)

only an import car is allowed a small plate as the car originaly has small recess / space for plate and the law compensates for this along with the USA imports, but if you do this with a uk car then your breaking the law.

my younger brother tried it with his uk civic;) i e cops told him the cops will know its a UK car.

Yours. ;)

It would be illegal, because it is not an import!!!!! Not logical but what is when talking about our laws.

Oddly, this has reminded me that when I passed my MOT last month, I did so with the smaller font plates on, which are infact smaller than the legally allowed Jap limit due to a cock-up by the plate-makers.

Yet last year when I also forgot to change the plates to the old legal ones, the very same MOT guy failed my car on its plates.

I wonder why it got through this year.

I just got pulled over 30 minutes ago for running standard import plates front and rear.

I was told I need to fit standard UK plates both front and rear. I didn't contest the guy as I didn't 100% know the technicality with regards to what I am and am not permitted to have on the car.

He said the standard UK square plate will fit on the back no problem and gave me a 21 day provider to change them.

The front I'm not too fussed about as I'll just put on an oblong one. The rear I am not so sure about. Will it not bend out at the bottom of the recess? Also, as my foglight is on the driver's side in the recess, it prevents anything much bigger being centred without being covered.

How does this affect things?

It does not fit. Standard UK square is 280 x 203. The Supra import plate is 330 x 171mm. There is no way to squeeze an extra 32 mm into your bumper.

OK. I'll go and measure my recess and then go to speak to the police. It's all about border size and spacing etc. as he said I should just cut it down to fit but retain the requirements and it'd work.

I don't wanna :p

OK. I'll go and measure my recess and then go to speak to the police. It's all about border size and spacing etc. as he said I should just cut it down to fit but retain the requirements and it'd work.

I don't wanna :p

Character height must be 79mm x 2 = 158 + 13mm top and bottom. Not less. Their words. = 184mm and finally the 11mm gap between the rows.

Minimum size required = 195mm.

http://www.theplatemarket.com/display_of_registration_numbers.php#generalnumberplate:)

Character height must be 79mm x 2 = 158 + 13mm top and bottom. Not less. Their words. = 184mm and finally the 11mm gap between the rows.

Minimum size required = 195mm.

http://www.theplatemarket.com/display_of_registration_numbers.php#generalnumberplate:)

The other thing the guy said was basically that if the UK square wouldn't then I've to fit a UK oblong at the rear. He doesn't care about the aesthetics (I explained that there is a big hole behind the plate).

The other thing the guy said was basically that if the UK square wouldn't then I've to fit a UK oblong at the rear. He doesn't care about the aesthetics (I explained that there is a big hole behind the plate).

HE IS JUST BEING A KNOB MATE:search:

A POLICE OFFICER IS THERE TO ENFORCE THE LAW NOT GIVE HIS OPINION ON THE MATTER

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I have a do-luck bumper on my supra, it's not standard, it looks crap with the plate on but it's the law. I am a serving met copper and I can clarify once and for all because I have worked in traffic, YOU CANNOT PUT ON A SMALLER NUMBER PLATE (I'm not shouting, it's just for clarification). My supra is a jdm and my governor nailed me to the floor when he saw the small plate I had on a while back, it sucks but it's the way it is. Sorry

Hi guys, I have a do-luck bumper on my supra, it's not standard, it looks crap with the plate on but it's the law. I am a serving met copper and I can clarify once and for all because I have worked in traffic, YOU CANNOT PUT ON A SMALLER NUMBER PLATE (I'm not shouting, it's just for clarification). My supra is a jdm and my governor nailed me to the floor when he saw the small plate I had on a while back, it sucks but it's the way it is. Sorry

Basically no matter what your governor or your traffic buddie say or think the law is that Imports can have the smaller font so let them do their worst it will never get to court, too many coppers think they can rewrite the law, in short they can't.

Good taste in cars bad taste in jobs!!;)

i have been to court over this a few years ago. when the case was called the procurator asked to speak to me first and asked what it was all about! i showed him the printout from the DVLA and i just said if i am wrong show me why and i will comply, but to what i am told its ok. he admitted he didn't have a clue who was right and would have to look into it, he asked me to send him pics of the car, which i never did ;) anyway he said he was dropping the case and he also said he couldn't have me getting stopped all the time if the car was legal. never been stopped since.