The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How To: Dying your carpet Black

M4RK RZ

HOW TO GUIDE

Dying your Supra Carpet (Black)

A few people asked if I would knock up a 'HOW TO' guide on dying your supra carpet when I did my own. I hope that this helps some people along - im no expert, but do know when something works well, as did this process.

All it takes is a little will power to do it ! A very simple task indeed.

1) Remove the 2 seats. This is done by locating 8 bolts (4 per seat) Some of the bolt heads will be covered by plastic grey trim, in which case use a flat blade screwdriver to pop off the clips. Ensure if you have electronic integrated seat accessories that you dis-connect he cables. Removing the seats takes approx 20 mins taking it easy.

Then you will have this, if not ......... you forgot to take them out.

2) Next remove the lower seat belt bolts and the plastic 'pozi' fasteners in the foot wells. Also remove the drivers foot rest - there are 2 plastic discs on its surface, twist these untill the pegs are released. The rear seats need to be lifted slightly to get to further fastener clips on the edge of the carpet - a brisk sharp pull upwards on the front edge of the rear lower seat pops the 2 securing U shaped metal clips from the car to provide access. Do not worry about doing this - it simply pushes back in after.

Last of all remove the centre console by taking out the gear stick dash panel and looking for the securing screws - same at other end.

Remove the plastic trim the carpet tucks under around the door area (this pops off too) and then slowly tempt the carpet side clips form the metal edge.

And to be honest - that’s the hard bit done!

3) Cleaning the carpet.

Vac off all loose dirt etc. I then applied 1001 carpet cleaner and followed the instructions. I was having an ALPHA male moment so to wash it off I blasted the carpet with the jet wash !!!! WOW the amount of dirt that comes out in rivers !!! ok it takes a little longer to dry but worth it I think. A wet vac would do fine also............I just did not have one.

Ready to be washed :

Drying, took approx 1 day ! not bad really !

4) Dying the carpet

Ok, so now your thinking "This is going to be a mess!! "

NOT AT ALL !!

You need the following:

Car interior Carpet Dye (from Ebay - I got 5L for £20)

Marigolds - Pink if you like

Cloth

Plant sprayer from B&Q or anywhere else £0.86p

Plastic funnel (I did not use one but I recommend it!)

Fill the bottle .......

5) Spray direct onto carpet in even sweeps - easy peezy - you will know when you try it.

6) I found that after approx 1L of spraying - simply rubbing in with your fingers was a good way to plump up the pile and work in the dye. Im sure a stiff brush would do the same but I like to get messy.

I applied 1 coat ( approx 1L) rubbed in, then a second - again approx 1 Litre rubbed in. Then finally a last spray over of about 0.5Litre.

7) Leave to dry - follow drying times on your product. Sit back and check out the difference !!!

and for £20 ! wow what a face lift !

Hope this helps - not the best guide but then again there is not much to say - it really is that easy !

Here is the link to the Ebay shop

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/VALETERS-PRIDE

They have some other great bulk products in .

M4rk rz

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent!! Shame I only got 1 litre of dye :blink:

Maybe I can find an economical way of applying it???? Perhaps with my DeVibliss spray gun :D

But seriously, if it was applied under high pressure would there be a need to work it in??? Would it do with 1 coat??

Excellent!! Shame I only got 1 litre of dye :blink:

Maybe I can find an economical way of applying it???? Perhaps with my DeVibliss spray gun :D

But seriously, if it was applied under high pressure would there be a need to work it in??? Would it do with 1 coat??

You can cover the whole carpet in 1 coat mate - the mist form my garden gun was realy quite fine - I defo suggest getting another Litre for max effect.

When it is back in your not going to want to do it again lol

Here are some more pics I took today when I put the carpet back in.

Can someone add these to my thread to keep it as a running guide?

Its just the image count is too high now:p

Rear Seat Clip Position:

Removing Centre Console:

Fully Fitted:

Before and After:

:cool:

• 3 months later...

Well, I have got all my bits now so, I hope to clean the carpet this weekend and use some VAX carpet cleaner too.

Cost of items so far:

1 x 5ltr black dye £16:48 (P&P £6.50)

1 x Spray bottle (B&Q) £0.98

1 x Stiff brush (Tesco) £1.97 - Optional I guess

1 x Rubber gloves (Tesco) £1.69 - I splashed out here as they did not have my size in the 48p range.

1 x 230x169x90cm polyethylene cover complete with eyelets and ground pegs. (Argos) £9.99 - It's to cover a patio table and chairs but, did the trick and saved most of my grass from the dye.

BlackDye.JPG

P1050520.JPG

Nice one mate - pop pics up if you get chance this "summer" lol

Cheeky :)

Well, I thought I'd start this lunchtime and use normal VAX machine cleaner at a ratio of 2 cap fulls with 1.5ltr of warm water just to see if it worked or not. (I have the cleaner already in the house).

So, we have had a nice sunny warm day with strong winds so, perfect to dry the carpet.

I started off using the hand gun...2mins later, I pulled the top off it and just poured it on...then I switched to an old 1.5ltr water bottle and splashed it all over. I only did one section at a time and used the stiff brush that I got from Tesco which took a lot of the hard work out of it, then I hosed it down to get all the cleaner out of it. I then pushed a lot of the water out of the carpet with my hands and then left it to drip dry in the sun/wind. 6hrs later and it's dry (although, the foam under the carpet is still a little wet as it sucks the water in).

As you said, their is rivers of crap/water that comes out of it.

So, I only did the drivers side to see if the VAX cleaner was any good, I did not try too hard on the really bad areas since, it's being dyed black so, is not a big concern. I thought if it was really bad, I could always give it a 2nd clean. I think if it was going to stay the same colour, I'd have to give a second application to get the last few bits of dark brown areas out.

Some pic's

topbottom.JPG

leftRight.JPG

The left hand side is not fully dry yet but, much better than before.

However, I seem to have found a pink section in the footwell of the pass side...maybe it's the coolant coming out when the heater matrix leaked.

I might go over the worst areas agian since, it's rather easy to do and takes no time at all really with the brush.

side2.JPG

#2 side done.JPG

Great guide Mark, very easy to follow found it suprisingly easy to get the seats outs thought it might of been a nightmare. Wow what a transformation the carpet looks new! well worth a usually boring saturday

The difference is unreal

i even dyed the floor mats black as they where getting a bit scruffy

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Cool, since I went ahead with it yesterday anyway....in for a penny, in for a pound :)

VERY happy with the results. I used 2.5ltrs of the 5ltrs tub/ 3 coats in all....but, you SHOULD wear a face mask, it's not nice having a tight chest and wiping dye out of your nostrils :D :D OK today :D

It's not patch, it's the lighting or where I have used the brush to rub it in a bit.

Some more pic's.

donedrivers.JPG

donehalf.JPG

donerear.JPG

donestart.JPG

donewhole.JPG

donewholepath.JPG

Have you remembered to do the plastic trim on the ends of the seat rails? :confused: Mine were pale grey :(

Used plastic spray primer (Halfrauds) about 6 quid, then Astral black (also Halfrauds, same price). 5 coats of primer, 3 coats of black sprayed couple of days later when primer well dried, and left in the airing cupboard :innocent: Just enough black to do them:

PRIMER STAGE

FINAL COAT

Apologies for quality of phone pics :innocent:

Linda

xx

Just a little post to tell people the tools/spanners for this.

14mm socket/spanner for the seats and seatbelts,

10mm " " for the compulsory binning of the stock amp,

Pozi-screwdriver for undoing the centre console,

Small flat blade screwdriver for undoing the various trims/covers,

Ideally a large flat blade screwdriver to undo the plastic fasteners on the drivers footrest.

That's it from what I remember.

• 3 weeks later...

My carpet has been sat in my plastic shed for the last 3.5 weeks which, get's nice and warm on sunny days so, it's bone dry and has lost any smell from the dying process while I have been on the hunt for some 3M Scotchgard carpet protector.

It seems that you can't just buy the Scotchgard stuff on it's own, it's always in with a carpet cleaner too, I tried local carpet shops, Carpet Right, Allied carpets, Homebase etc.....some offer Scotchgard type products but, makes/names I don't recognise.

The 3M Scotchgard protector (no cleaner in with it) which, is what I was after is US only product)....something to do with the fibres used in carpets nylon ?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard/Home/Applications/Carpet/Do-It-Yourself/Carpet_Protector/

Anyway, I found that B&Q sell can's of Scotchgard carpet cleaner with the Scotchgard protector in with it so, bought a couple of cans last night.

Early this morning, I got the carpet out and decided to see how water resistant it was, without any protection…I took a sponge and filled it with water and then soaked one corner of the carpet, let it soak in for 5-10mins and then used some kitchen towel to dry it off….you can see from the photo, they is no dye leakage at all.

But, I want to protect my carpet in anycase so, have carried out a colourfast test on a hidden part of the carpet which, is drying in the sunshine through the window right now. The stuff in the can is a foam so, not too mess and will make the carpet smell rather nice too:)

P1050671.JPG

P1050672.JPG

P1050673.JPG

P1050675.JPG

One thing I did notice, I must of gone a bit mad with the dye and maybe should of let it dry between coats?? as the finished carpet was a little rough to the touch. However, after I wet the carpet in my test, it has returned back to the normal feel of the carpet.

NOTE: I was not concerned with it feeling a little rough since, I only put my feet on it. But at least we now know, it can be made to feel like stock again with very little effort, if you do go a little crazy with the dye.

The foam comes out of the can more like a bathroom cleaner than shaving foam so, you can spray good sized sections due to the spray pattern nice and easy. I wore goves and just rubbed it into the carpet with my hands. The whole carpet took 15-20mins max and only took one can. Price per can was under £5. Pic below.

next day..

It's totally dry today and looks and feels just fine. I was not sure if by using a full can without wipeing any of it off, that it could go sticky....:)

P1050688.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

where is the best place to buy the dye from? and what is the best dye? all the german shops over here are turning me away saying their dye is not good enough for a car :(, i want to do the roof liner on my aerotop and my mats when i do this so probibly need about 5 litres, and do you rinse the carpet after youve dyed it ?

where is the best place to buy the dye from? and what is the best dye? all the german shops over here are turning me away saying their dye is not good enough for a car :(, i want to do the roof liner on my aerotop and my mats when i do this so probibly need about 5 litres, and do you rinse the carpet after youve dyed it ?

Link to the seller in post #1

No need to rinse it.

A lot of people just get it from ebay, I did. Just type in "carpet dye".

I used about 4 litres to do 4 mats, boot carpet and interior carpet so I would recommend you buy 5 litres.

Just checked my thread out again ! Looks like the write up was a good idea for everyone :)

All your results look fantastic - its amazing how it transforms the carpet as you all noticed !! And also it makes the inside of the car look soooo much better.

Glad I could be of assistance :thumbs:

Oh - and someone suggested wearing a face mask - good idea I forgot about that one.