The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How To: Dying your carpet Black

M4RK RZ

peeps - what is the drying time of this dye?

Bump... mine is STILL not 100% dry - when I rub my hands on it the dye is still coming off on my hands.....

Ideally I want this carpet back in the car for japfest... but I don't want to put it back in when it's still wet!

Anything I can do to speed this up?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tis ok - I've just spent the last 40 mins massaging the carpet with my fingers and rubbing it all over (oh er missus) and it looks like it's doing the trick.

I was using a stiff brush before, but the fingers/hands method seems to work much better.

yeh, mine is dry to a light touch, it's only when I rub my hands on it the dye still comes off.

But as said, it's much better now due to the massaging - I think I may blame having to leave it in the garage to dry - not the best environment I suppose.

Got to fit it tomorrow after work now, then hover and clean the car for Japfest on saturday :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well lads, have my dye now and all the other stuff. My car has been striped more than a week now :( just need the weather. Can't wait to get this done as i think it is a huge improvment over the gray carpet.

For some of the people that have this done a while, do you have to touch it up every year or so? or does it last well?

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
Anyone dyed a set of cloth front seats? or is that asking for trouble? :D

Did you try this Tubby or did anyone else? I tried with fabric spray paint and you'd need loads of cans to do the whole interior. I might try the carpet dye if i can get it. Has anyone who dyed the carpets noticed it fading quickly or coming off on anything?

So how does this perform in the long run?

this thread was started originally back in 2007.

How does the dye perform over the years? is the grey coming through again or is it still lovely black?

would be very very interesting for me to know....

many thanks!

Herbert

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...