The mkiv Supra Owners Club

police, cant live with them cant live without them!!!

mathew

just popped out to tesco and on the way came to a crossroads. the lights went green for me so i turned right at the lights as intended but at the same time noticing a patrol car opposite.

As i went to turn i admit i was a little heavy footed but not enough to send the speedo beyond 30mph. carried on pootling down the road for about 50yards when to my surprise the patrol comes flying around the corner with lights and sirens on full steam.

they decided to pull me over in the middle of town with the usual piss heads giving it large with their cocky comments. and the officer giving it the 'what do you think all that was about??' he went on to state 'its a supra,3 litre, its a fast car, arent you a bit young to be drivin one??' (the cheeky fecker!!) but at this point i decided to be corprative and just bite my tongue until....

copper: so what were you thinking back there?

me:that i wanted to turn right and did so within the speed limit.

copper: well we'll be the judge of that!!!.

at this point my blood was starting to boil as i knew i hadnt gone over the limit yet if i decided to react to that comment they could (afaik) done something. so just stood there feeding him with my false apologies and sorrows and was told to be on my way and that if i want to drive at those sort of speeds to do it on the motorway :blink: :blink: 20mph on the motorway?!?!

anyway that was my first time pulled in the supe and just had to share it as it really pissed me off.

just out of curiuosity can the prosocute you for accelarating but staying within the limit??

whenever ive been pulled in the past ive always been apologetic and curtious as i find if you are cocky the tend not to let you off as lightly but his quote of 'we'll be the judge of that' almost got me saying what i was really thinking.

about their views on the cornering asspects, at what point would it be classed as dangerous if you are within the speed limit going around a corner??. they might aswell pull me over whenever i drive as surely control can be lost at anytime driving.

The older you get the less you care about incidents like this. I've been pulled a few times "for accelerating too fast" and likewise stuff. The police are mainly after the p*ss-heads and tax/insurance dodgers so will pull over anyone acting slightly unusual.

I really don't care anymore, I'm clean so have nothing to lose. They take a lot of dodgy drivers off the road through this type of activity so have no objection to it. Let them continue :)

The older you get the less you care about incidents like this. I've been pulled a few times "for accelerating too fast" and likewise stuff. The police are mainly after the p*ss-heads and tax/insurance dodgers so will pull over anyone acting slightly unusual.

I really don't care anymore, I'm clean so have nothing to lose. They take a lot of dodgy drivers off the road through this type of activity so have no objection to it. Let them continue :)

good point:iagree:

As far as I am aware Supra Steve is right in relationship to the evidece required to formally prosecute regarding driving offences. TPT (Targeted Patrol Team) vehicles, or standard police cars can have camera equipment in them but mostly don't, however most traffic cars have full video equipment.

However I fully endorse Homers comments about the good they do removing non insured, taxed, licenced persons and vehicles off the road. Driving a car like the Supra and looking young is always bound to raise eyebrows and concerns. Get use to it, or sprinkle talc in your hair every time you go out, lol.

Finally, you probably find he was just bored and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time!!

On a diffrent point, anyone else soaking in their own sweat in this heat???

Young guy, giving it the big one away from the lights, roaring exhaust - probably. If I was a copper I'd have pulled you over too, if I had nowt else to do.

Let's face it, cops pull people like you because in their experience it has proved to be a fruitful way of catching people with no tax/insurance/MoT/bald tyres/etc etc

I'm sure they weren't picking on you personally, just pulling over a type of person they have found to be likely law-breakers. It's nothing personal.

yes cant remember what they call it mate, or what catergory they put it under

I think any decent policeman would recognise this situation as 'lets pull someone up coz it means we dont have to deal with the pissheads, and then we can radio back when called and say' we are occupied so cant attend the local Threshers window being smashed' lol.

If i was a Policeman i guess id rather be looking at a Supra pulled up than a load a bunch of leahry lager louts puking up on the pavement and giving abuse...

Dont take it personally..just a good excuse to scive lol!

Surely you can accelerate as fast as you like as long as your in control of your vehicle?

Theres nothing in the highway code stating you cannot accelerate to 30/50/60/70 in x amount of time.

IMO as long as (a) you dont wheel spin when accelerating (b) your back end isnt dancing all over the road © your not hanging out the drivers window giving them the v's with both hands, then your in control of your car :)

With regards to dodgy cars (no mot, tax or insurance)....dont the cops have equipment in their vehicles that flags up dodgy cars based on scanning in the registration plate?

you should of asked him what speed he caught you at, because he didnt know there for had no proof that you were speeding so told you to be on your way
I don't think that's right. If he in his "expert opinion" estimated that the vehicle's speed was well in excess of the speed limit it may enough to secure a conviction.

I think matlee said there was more than one cop in the car as well. The other cop's opinion would add credibility to to the other cop's evidence.

I'm not 100% sure on the above but I think it's right.

The equipment in the car, which hardly ever works, or is used these days, links to the DVLA through a Police System called PNC (Police National Computer). Its ancient and the records regarding your vehicle and licence details uploaded from the DVLA are IMO usless and normally inaccurate.

With regards to VRM, most checks are preformed through radio back to the IHC (Incident Handling Centre) these days as apposed to computers in the cars. This way all incidents are logged through a central unit and are auditable.

Sometimes it pays to look older :D

I never antagonise the police...been stopped many times...in the supra...but touchwood have always had a fairly good experience with the copper (they all admire the supra - most of them anyway)..

In My prelude I used to get a lot of grief from the police...they used to stop me for really stupid things. (like accelerating semi-hardish - while keeping within the speed limit)

Feel for you, cops are mostly bitches...Speciely in Sweden.

I borrowed my brothers Porsche 996 Turbo -01

Yesterday and drove in town, and he have a illigal small registration sign on the front of this car...

So they pulled me over and talked to me for about 15 min..

And gave me a £30 fine...

Ohh well, have to put on the REAL sign then...

:bobby: Just passing through :D

There is an offence (is a very old and not often used one) called "wanton and furious driving" which will cover just about anything.

Sometimes its shit I know when you've got to swallow it and take some crap off the old bill. Especially when they're a youngster in the job with much to learn. Believe me, there's a lot more good ones out there than bad, its just the bad ones that get remembered. And whilst not excusing his behaviour, Friday night isn't really a night to be all sweetness and light, but he could of been more polite to you.

Sometimes its crap when you have to lose "face" I've found that as the years pass by, that losing face is a small price to pay, rather than losing the battle. Go figure.

But then if you'd just pulled out without giving it big beans, I doubt you'd have been pulled would you? It was after all your behaviour that attracted their attention in the first place.

Honestly they're not all aresholes, just alot of them are! :D

jake - regarding your first post. the cops couldnt have seen if i was young or not from where they were and i wasnt giving it 'large' as you stated and as with the exhaust mine is hardly loud. so how you can suggest that thats how it 'probably' was is a bit confusing. yes i said i was a bit heavy footed but not to the extent of speeding.

I had a police officer leave his folder in my shop after we called them for a shoplifter, he had a code card in it for traffic offences and apparently you can get done for accelerating too hard, even if you are within the speed limit and by the looks of things, it is based on the police officers judgement.

It seemed bizarre some of the things that you can get done for that also carry points endorsements, like reversing too far, again based on the officers judgement!