The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving the Hakone in Japan

mwilkinson

Wow looks amazing, definitely added to my list for when I visit Japan, hope to get over in the next 2 years maybe for 2 or 3 weeks.

Choice of car would be difficult, do I go with something I already have, GTR, Supra? Or something totally different like old NSX maybe, are the roads suited to turbos or high revving NAs?

Just spent an amazing 6 hours driving the Hakone around Mt. Fuji, Japan in a mkiv Supra.

Arranged the guided tour with:

https://fun2drive-japan.com/

Can't rate it enough. I'm buzzing!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233875[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233876[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233877[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233878[/ATTACH]

Awesome! Killer thing to do!

Wow looks amazing, definitely added to my list for when I visit Japan, hope to get over in the next 2 years maybe for 2 or 3 weeks.

Choice of car would be difficult, do I go with something I already have, GTR, Supra? Or something totally different like old NSX maybe, are the roads suited to turbos or high revving NAs?

If I'm honest it's less about the car and its performance characteristics and more about the experience. You're hiring a car, most of us, as much as we might like to kid ourselves, are pretty average drivers, so you are limited to what the company will allow and what you can safely achieve.

I didnt see any of the cars perform to a level far above any other. There were a few boy racers who were reving the nuts off the cars and speeding off on the straights, but come the bends, they were as well behaved as anyone else.

So I'd just pick a car you've always wanted to drive and enjoy it.

I might think differently if I had my own car without such large excesses etc.

That's awesome. If you can share how much did it cost? Have you done something similar in other countries and how would you rate it against?

/QUOTE]

Never done anything like this before.

It cost me around ¥50,000, all in. This also included some extra insurance bits, 2 additional drivers etc. That's roughly £360.

You can mix and match cars, if you go with a friend.

Fuel and toll roads were extra, but no more than another ¥6,000, so £40 ish.

Never done anything like this before.

It cost me around ¥50,000, all in. This also included some extra insurance bits, 2 additional drivers etc. That's roughly £360.

You can mix and match cars, if you go with a friend.

Fuel and toll roads were extra, but no more than another ¥6,000, so £40 ish.

Thanks a lot, that is very good value

There weren't THAT many straights to do some insane pulls but there was a long tunnel that made for some awesome noise and no speed cameras.

The only thing you have to watch out for is police as the area is manned for the reason that this company exists and the area is known for racers.

The bends are slippery (not always bad I guess) and on one side you will have sheer drops over cliffs and the other side tends to have channels for streams. So drifting around the bendies requires some skill. Although you are under constant watch by the guide but he never said a word about my pulls and burnouts when I found the opportunity. Really reasonable guy who knows full well you'll try and pull a few tricks from time to time (he was no exception himself)