The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheapo crank pulley - Or not?

evinX

Came across this new 1JZ/2JZ crank pulley thats seems to be making its way around the market, not the Febest. But NTY from Poland --- NTY RKP-TY-010F

Anyone used one?

Even Febi Bilstein rebox them by the looks of things.

https://autodetalas.eu/carparts/product/FEBI_BILSTEIN/RKP-TY-010F/

https://aktyw.pl/p/841635/NTYRKP-TY-010F/Kolo-pasowe-walu-korbowego-toyota-lexus-eng-1jzge-2jzge-is200-300-99--gs300-93-05-supra-93-02.html

NO.

A friend had one fail within a few months. I'm unsure of the make but it was a non- genuine one provided by one of the traders on here.

That one would be the Febest. I have had one on my supra since 2015 without issue at all. Must of been a 1 off lemon as i have never heard of a febest one fail apart from that. But this one...for a NA...standard road car...must be fine?!

That one would be the Febest. I have had one on my supra since 2015 without issue at all. Must of been a 1 off lemon as i have never heard of a febest one fail apart from that. But this one...for a NA...standard road car...must be fine?!

What power are you running and redline on your car? Im deciding which route to go down either oem or febest. But still not 100% sure.

Tia

I don't know why people think of cheaping out on such an important part that, once fitted is done for the life of the car

Mine looks like an oem pulley, but the rubber looks perished. So i would rather replace it than risk using an old one which i dont know the age of.

Age does matter with them. I would just rather not throw money at parts when a cheaper alternative will work just as well. Specially when i wont be running much over the rev limit and only going for 6-700hp.

I don't know why people think of cheaping out on such an important part that, once fitted is done for the life of the car

Because there are lots of cars out there running non original parts like the crank pulley. The 2JZ-GE is no different or no more special than any other engine. If someone wanted to put this part on a 2JZ-GE GS300 lets say. People would say...why not? But when its a Supra...oh everything has to be perfect..original and spot on to the mil.

Because there are lots of cars out there running non original parts like the crank pulley. The 2JZ-GE is no different or no more special than any other engine. If someone wanted to put this part on a 2JZ-GE GS300 lets say. People would say...why not? But when its a Supra...oh everything has to be perfect..original and spot on to the mil.

I would though, the quality is guaranteed, the balance perfect, and like I said its safe for the next 20 years. Thats why

I'd agree with this line of thought usually except there is a difference here, the Toyota ones have unique individual drilled dimples for balance.

Go stick 15grams on your front wheel that weights about 20,000 grams and then see the effect at 60-70 mph. If the cheaper pulleys aren't balanced at some point in the rev range I think there can be a similar resonance / vibration, will it ever make a difference to anything who knows, certainly not in the short term as proven by users on here.

I'd agree with this line of thought usually except there is a difference here, the Toyota ones have unique individual drilled dimples for balance.

Go stick 15grams on your front wheel that weights about 20,000 grams and then see the effect at 60-70 mph. If the cheaper pulleys aren't balanced at some point in the rev range I think there can be a similar resonance / vibration, will it ever make a difference to anything who knows, certainly not in the short term as proven by users on here.

Why risk damaging the crank/main bearings for the sake of a cheap pulley?

I manufacture and balance cutting tools for use up to 30,000 rpm, you would be surprised how much difference a tiny amount of material removed can have.

Anyway, read this!

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/11/maintaining-your-balance-engine-building-tips-to-reduce-nvh-and-increase-life/

Why risk damaging the crank/main bearings for the sake of a cheap pulley?

I manufacture and balance cutting tools for use up to 30,000 rpm, you would be surprised how much difference a tiny amount of material removed can have.

Anyway, read this!

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/11/maintaining-your-balance-engine-building-tips-to-reduce-nvh-and-increase-life/

I'm a standard balanced crank pulley advocate just in case that's not clear.

What I was trying to point out was those that fit a (potentially) non balanced one and say it's all fine, well it may appear so as nothing will happen, or feel different in the short term but you can't be sure of the longterm effects.

Same with the solid pulleys, it'll fit and work but.........