The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jap spec na auto engine tap

supra87

Hi this sort of question is obviously very hard to diagnose without hearing or seeing the problem. Any in put with regards to where I should start looking will be greatly appreciated.

I had the car idling yesterday with the bonnet up and I could hear a faint tapping noise what seemed to be coming from the top of the engine. The tapping disappears when revved past 1000rpm engine oil is at the correct level car runs spot on. It's so faint I can not hear it if the radio or fan is on.

The auxiliary belt tensioner arm rubber pivot is breaking up these nowadays and can make a similar noise, Scooter as so often, is spot on, run it without the auxiliary drive belt for a minute or so (no longer as there's no water circulation) and see if it has disappeared.

ah shucks that means a lot :D

Over 15 years I've learnt a lot from you/others and am happy to regurgitate it for anyone who'll listen. From another thread it looks like he's up for the major rebuild whether necessary or not though! (and would probably ignore the advice of trying to get a used ok NA engine instead.

• 2 weeks later...

A replacement engine was the first port of call but finding one you know is 100% ok is very hard engine pulled out over the weekend and as we expected main bearings are worn 2 of them more so than the others on the plus side absolutely no damage to the crank bearings now on order from whifbitz

Quick update on the tapping engine all plumbed in running but still has a slight tap nothing like before not had a proper listen but sounds like it's coming from the torque converter only rattles when revved just over idle the goes away are torque converters known for making these noises ? The gearbox changes smoothly and dosent slip I'm not sure what to do next

Yea aux belt removed cam cover removed and still the same the rattle is very faint since the bottom end bearings were replaced where as it was a lot louder before hand the rattle only accurs just above idle the goes away if revved any higher I'd say between 800-1000rpm it rattles and I'm talking a very faint rattle I'd have to point it out to you for you to notice it.

Ok guys quick update I've been driving it around and I'm still geting a rattle the gear changes are still smooth and quick me and my mechanic are still convinced it's the torque converter 6 weeks prior to this issue I flushed the gearbox oil as what was in there was shocking I have a feeling that the flush has moved or dislodged some crap causing my rattle this is the only thing I can put it down too I've sourced an other t/c can any tell me if the gearbox can be removed with out taking the engine out ?