The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you get to the ABS sensor clips (rear)

rider

Done a search and nothing popping up. Looking at removal of the rear hubs and anticipating the ABS sensors may well not want to part from the hub. So what is the procedure to get at the clips inside the car so the sensor can come off with the hub?

In the boot remove the plastics near the rear strut tops and you will find the ABS sensor wires/connectors. Disconnect the plugs and push the wire through the rubber grommet in the chassis.

Then you can go underneath and drop the subframe/hubs/etc

They're very expensive to replace. I've just asked Paul @ TCB for a quote and have been advised to be prepared!

Good option removing complete with hub.

/QUOTE]

I disconnected the wires inside the car although its difficult access (it would be much easier with the complete trim removed) then dropped the lot together.

I am considering cutting my into my old hubs with gwo abs sensors just so I can remove them without braking them;)

Do you need to remove the rear seat or not to get to the clips or grommet location? Or can you just lift the boot side panels and squeeze a hand in? We do need to take care of the ABS sensors as they are discontinued from Toyota apart from one of the four last I checked. Though I did come across a USA site offering compatible ones, still around £200 each.

I did read a US forum thread where one commentator mentioned removing the two 10mm bolts holding the ABS sensor onto the hub and wiggling until it moved. Even forcing a small screwdriver down alongside the sensor to break the seal. Sounded drastic. Has anyone ever tried tapping or punching them out from the hub spleen side to gain a reusable sensor?

No rear seat still in situ but as I said it's a real squeeze even with my small hands so I would remove the big trims at the sides of the seat too but I was in a rush

The sensors in my refurbished sub frame easily came out (with my mechhanics skill using a spanner!) as I am changing the hubs to UK ones with big brake heat Sheilds so I have spare set in fact 2 spare sets as the jdm shell has some too

Regarding removing them from my old hubs (I have new hubs with UK dust shields and wheel bearings) I think the safest bet is cutting the hub in two until the sensor easily comes out yes rendering the hub scrap but the value seems to be in the sensors!

There must be another toyota with the same sensors and there is only two wires so these can easily be joined to existing wires as they are not fibre optic or anything?

No rear seat still in situ but as I said it's a real squeeze even with my small hands😂 so I would remove the big trims at the sides of the seat too but I was in a rush😉

The sensors in my refurbished sub frame easily came out (with my mechhanics skill using a spanner!) as I am changing the hubs to UK ones with big brake heat Sheilds so I have spare set in fact 2 spare sets as the jdm shell has some too👍

Regarding removing them from my old hubs (I have new hubs with UK dust shields and wheel bearings) I think the safest bet is cutting the hub in two until the sensor easily comes out yes rendering the hub scrap but the value seems to be in the sensors!

There must be another toyota with the same sensors and there is only two wires so these can easily be joined to existing wires as they are not fibre optic or anything?

Mark let me know if you would part with a spare set of working sensors please. It will be cheaper than buying new and I'm not sure which one might be faulty yet.

Just as a thought what about Adrian at fensport he has a good knowledge of toyotas and could probably just look at one and say it's the same as a ..........?

Are you in a panic as I would prefer to get my Blk UK tt6 built back up and running as if I need one I may cut myself short!

Has Paul actually found any as he's the man for the task!

Just as a thought what about Adrian at fensport he has a good knowledge of toyotas and could probably just look at one and say it's the same as a ..........?

Are you in a panic as I would prefer to get my Blk UK tt6 built back up and running as if I need one I may cut myself short!

Has Paul actually found any as he's the man for the task!

Hi Mark, no not in panic. I think I have a fault with one of them as Syvecs TC isn't working but going to do an ABS diagnostics check first. No problems I'll see what new cost is.

I think the Rav 4 of the same era or Solara of the early 2000's looks very similar. Could be worth checking that out. Lead might be a different length but otherwise looks pretty much the same. Whether that helps though as once a part is discontinued it tends to be discontinued regardless of how many models are affected.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

I didn't think Supra ABS sensors were still available?

The only company that I can find that makes sensors is Standard Motor Company.

As Barry says they are around the £200 mark, but at least they are available.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=152510407211&category=33560&pm=1&ds=0&t=1495808870667

They are. I've just purchased 3 at a cost of £600 genuine new OEM. The only one that is discontinued is the Front Nearside.