The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What shocks are you running on?

LOGIE

Howdy, im thinking of replacing my shocks all round with something else Im currently running on CWs Bilsteins with unknown springs. Im also trying out new springs (Tanabe GF210 springs) When it comes to shocks the choice seems to be endless KYB, Bilsteins, Sachs, Koni, Spax etc etc. Im just wondering what yous lot are running on and what you think of them? Shocks that is.

Cheers.

Oh these are for fast A&B road driving (lots of twisties) so any advice would be appreciated.

I'm all about the twisties. :) HKS Hipermax III here. They're middle/stiff as far as stiffness is concerned, when compared to other brands, but can be pre-loaded to up the spring rate for track days etc...

They have a huge adjustment range, something like 45 clicks as opposed to 15-20 on the HSD's. They're independently height adjustable as well, not adjusted via the spring perch.

I believe Chris Wilson will also rebuild them like he does the Bilsteins.

The two nicest riding supra's I have been in so far in order of preference.

1: Mine.

2: DaveP's with the CW Bilstein setup.

IIRC; The only gripe Dave has had with the billies, is with the the snap ring groove, that sets the height adjustment. In that there are (I think) two to choose from, and neither suited his car/wheel and tyre combination, so he had to machine another groove.

Everyone who has ridden in my car has commented on how nicely it rides also. One thing to consider though is that; Dave's car had all new Suspension Arms a few years ago, and mine are in brilliant condition due to the low mileage and easy Tokyo lifestyle :) )

Obviously for a track/race car there are better. However for the road the above choices aren't bad at all :)

I've driven Supra's with, (So you can see this isn't an, "I have them so they're the best!", thing! :D )

-Bilstein

-Stock

-Tein: flex and superstreet

-BC Racing

-D2

-HSD

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

Thanks James this is exactly the sort of info im looking for, I thought everyone would just say get Teins or BC racings..and I don't like either of them but they are coilovers sets Im attempting to build my own set up.

Faulkner in the UK can make you springs in any ratings for reasonable money. They're good springs for road use. There are better out there but they will be more expensive.

Maybe review the spring rating guide on here, order a couple of different sets from Faulkner and experiment. :) How old are the billies you have/when were they worked on by Mr.Wilson?

Have you also seen the Gixxer-Drew suspension guide on supraforums? To build preload and thus height adjustable shocks from oem bilsteins?

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

Faulkner in the UK can make you springs in any ratings for reasonable money. They're good springs for road use. There are better out there but they will be more expensive.

Maybe review the spring rating guide on here, order a couple of different sets from Faulkner and experiment. :) How old are the billies you have/when were they worked on by Mr.Wilson?

Have you also seen the Gixxer-Drew suspension guide on supraforums? To build preload and thus height adjustable shocks from oem bilsteins?

Awesome stuff mate cheers. My billies are showing signs of age with surface rust and I don't think they are Mr Wilsons springs going by the pics ive seen of his work, but the shocks have engraving on the with CW and a date which I cant recall.I bought them used and Ive had them on for 4/5 years.

Edited by LOGIE (see edit history)

I have nitrons on mine and I can't rate them enough. All specifically built for your car so if you have uprated stabilizers running wider tyres with bigger rims or any weight reduction this is all taken into account. They can build them specifically for the track or for the road the same as mine have been. The car is seriously planted on the road and give a lot of feed back and confidence to push hard easily the best setup I have had on any car. I have tryed Tein monoflex didn't think much of them. Have had billies on Tanabe lowering spring and that was terrible. The only thing about the nitrons is the price but worth every penny and can be fully rebuilt for the price of a new set of BC. If you can cope with the initial outlay you will have a great suspension then rebuild them for the price of BC's and still have a great suspension system.

I have nitrons on mine and I can't rate them enough. All specifically built for your car so if you have uprated stabilizers running wider tyres with bigger rims or any weight reduction this is all taken into account. They can build them specifically for the track or for the road the same as mine have been. The car is seriously planted on the road and give a lot of feed back and confidence to push hard easily the best setup I have had on any car. I have tryed Tein monoflex didn't think much of them. Have had billies on Tanabe lowering spring and that was terrible. The only thing about the nitrons is the price but worth every penny and can be fully rebuilt for the price of a new set of BC. If you can cope with the initial outlay you will have a great suspension then rebuild them for the price of BC's and still have a great suspension system.
Thanks mate you got a link to these Nitrons mate?

Ive just found out the price of them... im out.

I should explain, I am more than happy with the CW Suspension on Shiqwanda, it is perfect for the twisty stuff but also very liveable with for everyday life Logie :thumbs:, supply the tea and I will bring her round for you to test out the set-up :)