The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra TT starting problems

Guest hairykrishna

Guest hairykrishna

Hello all. I've got a Supra TT which I'm using for a project - reshelling to look (a bit) like a Ferrari 250GTO;

It's been sat for a few months while I waited for some free time to work on it. Unfortunately now it won't start! It ran fine before being laid up.

Seems that it has fuel but no spark. Went over all the fuses and discovered IGN and ECU-IG fuses in the drivers foot well were both blown. Replaced them but still nothing. Anyone know what theses fuses relate too? (I'm assuming ECU / ignition?) What could cause them to blow? They've not blown again since replacement.

Ignition coils seem ok - resistances match what the manual says they should. Have battery voltage at their +ve terminals when ignition is on. Rev counter needle moves when turning over so crank sensor is giving a signal.

I can't work out how to get the cam sensor plugs off to test them without removing lots of stuff or having the hands of a tiny child. Any tips?

I initially tried jump starting it, it now has a fresh battery, have I blown something? I don't seem to have a 'check engine' light so I can't access diagnostics - I'm thinking this might be a symptom.

Any advice from you knowledgeable people is much appreciated!

Oh dear, :Popcorn:

can we ban people for this sort of thing?

Guys, he's on here for help, not to receive a load of negative comments as to your personal opinion on his car. Personally, I quite like it.

Anyway, try changing the igniter pack, that's the usual suspect after a failed jump start, they appear to be made of cheese. Any error codes? Do a search on here for the paper clip trick.

Edit:

Just read it again, you need to get the ECU fired up first. Double check all fuses, namely the B+. Did the EMU light appear before the problem started? There is also an issue with dry joints in that LED cluster. Some car's have lights out all over.

Edited by ugp (see edit history)

can we ban people for this sort of thing?

I wish!! This may seem obvious but have you made sure all the plugs into the ignitor etc are in properly i once cleaned my engine bay too find it wouldnt start that was the reason, check the simple things first have you tryed a new battery or a jump start?

You didnt cross the jump leads and blow the main 120 amp fuse in the fuse box in the

engine bay did you ?

I also like it and good luck getting it fixed :thumbs: its certainly differant and a damn site

better than veilside ;) :D

i just dont get why people do it?

pug 407 = aston body kit?

mr2 = 355 body kit?

i understand kit cars as such locost/dax rush/cobra etc just not why people turn cars into something there not!

sorry for being negative my input didnt help what so ever with your starting issue

Guest hairykrishna

I expected a bit of negativity - I probably shouldn't have bothered with the picture. I'm not building a fake Ferrari, i.e., no badges etc and the proportions are all wrong for a straight 'replica'. I just like the shape and the unfinished kit was a cheap way into Supra ownership.

I've gone over all the plugs and they seem to be plugged in. I'm not sure if I had a EMU light pre problem to be honest so that may be a red herring - all the others seem to work though. I'll check all the fuses again now just to be sure.

Excuse my ignorance but is the ignitor pack the thing(s) that sit on top of the plugs? They seem to test ok if so.

The battery is now a brand new one as I wanted to rule that out as a potential issue.

Unneccesary negativity??

a damn site better than veilside ;) :D

What? like that^^^ get a grip dude, its alllways the same on here if certain members have something negative too say then thats fine. :tongue: i did put in a sort of helpful reply in afterwards i think i was in shock, too be fair the front dont look bad, its the rest of "it"

Seems that it has fuel but no spark.

out of interest how have you got to the conclusion? have you cracked the fuel line off then turned ignition on to see if fuel pumps out? has the car got a after market immobilizer? carry out check wire to see if there are any codes etc

:rlol:

Not tired bud - I just think it's not right for someone who has come to ask for help to be faced straight away with childish comments. I lost the part where you were made the leading authority on Supras. Maybe if you're such a purist you ought to get in touch with Top Secret in Japan and tell them to stop putting Celica parts on their cars? ;)

:rlol:

Not tired bud - I just think it's not right for someone who has come to ask for help to be faced straight away with childish comments. I lost the part where you were made the leading authority on Supras. Maybe if you're such a purist you ought to get in touch with Top Secret in Japan and tell them to stop putting Celica parts on their cars? ;)

are you part of the 'jake' and 'Michael' members club? arnt people aloud an opinion?

Guest hairykrishna
No the igniter is on the passenger side inner wing near the strut top, they are easily knocked out, worth a check fella

I'll check that now, cheers.

out of interest how have you got to the conclusion? have you cracked the fuel line off then turned ignition on to see if fuel pumps out? has the car got a after market immobilizer? carry out check wire to see if there are any codes etc

Pulled a plug after turning it over and it smelled of fuel. I also tried turning it over with a plug in the coil pack, out of the engine, to see if i could see a spark with no joy.

Please don't all have an argument over it! I'm not offended that some people don't like it - each to their own and all that. I'm appreciating the suggestions, I was at a bit of dead end.

Guest hairykrishna

Ok, just double checked the fuses and they're all good. The ignitor is connected and seems fine apart from the grey connector on the engine side has a bit of play on the metal spur thing it's mounted on. Is there any way to test the ignitor?

For those that are interested I don't have any other photos handy at the moment but I'll see what I can do. The kit was originally a US one intended for a 250Z. The bloke who had it before me chopped it down the middle and bonded in an extra 12 inches or so of fibreglass. It's mounted over the inner wings at the front, the doors and the outer skin at the back.