The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Automatic or Manual opinions.

Kaan W

Now ive been looking at supra`s for sale for quite some time now and am stuck on which transmission to go for. The car must be a turbo. My main goal was to have a TT6 and slowely upgrade it but certain factors like noisy gearbox and heavy clutch and price difference etc have pushed me more towards an auto. I dont plan on upgrading to serious power or anything its just to look nice and have a bit of fun in until I buy something with serious power. I know the autos have manual and sport mode so can this be just as fun to drift etc.

Any opinions on both will be much help...

I know this doesn't help you much but it's down to personal choice and cost. The manual and auto boxes each have their own advantages. Questions to ask yourself are what sort of driving do you do (be as specific as possible) and what do you enjoy about driving?

Of course, test-driving both flavours is pretty much required. You might dislike one of them.

Ive tried searching but cant find anything maybe im doing it wrong. Well the main things I enjoy about driving is how my car looks, what it sounds like and what it goes like. Iknow with manual you go drop down a gear and floor it but dont the auto`s do that too when you floor it? Ive never driven an auto but apparently they seem to chuck you back in the seat more??

I wanted to spend about 6k on one that looks half decent just to get used to the feel of these cars before I get a fast one. I know a decent looking manual is double this so is it really worth it just to start off in?

you can get a single turbo auto for that money

For what 6k or 12k?

I think as ABZ said the auto box is a marvlous bit of kit if im not planning on going for serious HP. It might be the better option for just something to drive while a save for something fast.

If you can be patient, it's almost always better (money-wise) to keep saving and buy the car you *really* want, instead of buying a stopgap car which you'll want to sell on to upgrade. :)

An auto TT will look and sound just like a manual TT. There's a fair chance it'll actually "go" faster than a manual unless you're good with gear changes.

Gee I like the second one. Must have missed that going through the for sale section. Good price too will be able to pay for half the insurance with the change. And its not too far from me I might view it this weekend :) Unless its sold just read more and think he might have broke it up by now..

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

Now ive been looking at supra`s for sale for quite some time now and am stuck on which transmission to go for. The car must be a turbo. My main goal was to have a TT6 and slowely upgrade it but certain factors like noisy gearbox and heavy clutch and price difference etc have pushed me more towards an auto. I dont plan on upgrading to serious power or anything its just to look nice and have a bit of fun in until I buy something with serious power. I know the autos have manual and sport mode so can this be just as fun to drift etc.

Any opinions on both will be much help...

If you're main goal is for a TT6 then be patient and wait. They do crop up frequently enough.

No point going for something 2nd best ;)

Gee I like the second one. Must have missed that going through the for sale section. Good price too will be able to pay for half the insurance with the change. And its not too far from me I might view it this weekend :) Unless its sold just read more and think he might have broke it up by now..

you have to keep a eye out mate there was others recently

If you're main goal is for a TT6 then be patient and wait. They do crop up frequently enough.

No point going for something 2nd best ;)

But it was only because I have a manual car now and thought auto`s were slow and boring to drive and there was no specific reason for wanting a manual except I just thought they were better.

Driving experiences from both?

I've driven both and I would always choose the manual.

But this has been discussed many times before on this forum.....it really depends on personal prefference, how you like to drive and what you want from the car.

Definitely reccommend driving a 6-speed AND an Auto if you are choosing based on time and available funds.

I've driven both and I would always choose the manual.

But this has been discussed many times before on this forum.....it really depends on personal prefference, how you like to drive and what you want from the car.

Definitely reccommend driving a 6-speed AND an Auto if you are choosing based on time and available funds.

Anyone willing to let me test both :D

I wanted a manual didint even entertain the idea of an Auto. However I now own one and love it to bits, yes you dont get the same "involved driving experience" but lets be honest how many people that say they want a TT6 because they are going to single it and go for 800+hp actually do? very few I would imagine.

In manual Mode its a hoot to drive, the kickdown is savage and turn O/D off and hit the back roads and its more than fast enough for me. Its a dream in town centres or traffic or if your just having one of those "cant be bothered just get home" days, whack it in D and cruise all the way.

Im not saying im an auto convert, its my 1st supra and I love it, if I ever sold and bought another I would try the manual box.

But in my current situation with my current budget its perfect. :)

I wanted a manual didint even entertain the idea of an Auto. However I now own one and love it to bits, yes you dont get the same "involved driving experience" but lets be honest how many people that say they want a TT6 because they are going to single it and go for 800+hp actually do? very few I would imagine.

In manual Mode its a hoot to drive, the kickdown is savage and turn O/D off and hit the back roads and its more than fast enough for me. Its a dream in town centres or traffic or if your just having one of those "cant be bothered just get home" days, whack it in D and cruise all the way.

Im not saying im an auto convert, its my 1st supra and I love it, if I ever sold and bought another I would try the manual box.

But in my current situation with my current budget its perfect. :)

Thanks mate very helpfull as usuall. I am warming more and more to an auto. I might start viewing some these next few weeks as in june I should get my 1st years no claims from my astra then I can sell it and swap the insurance straight over. Also im buying a van for work in the next few weeks shall I carry on building the no claims up with the van and put the supra in someone elses name would this be a logical idea?

My main goal was to have a TT6 and slowely upgrade it but certain factors like noisy gearbox and heavy clutch

All I get is a little clonk when going from reverse to 1st gear and vice versa, it doesn't bother me in the least as it's not the sort of noise that irritates. I'm sure others will agree with this.

The clutch isn't in the least bit heavy in my opinion, I've never noticed any difference between the Supra clutch and the clutch on any other car including all sorts of family cars.