The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Boost Controller

Noz

I not-so-recently bought a boost controller off a member on the forum, needless to say they are now ignoring me, probably because it didn't work and was sold to me when being faulty and without a lume (thanks) and paid for a faulty unit to be installed :thumbs: idiot.

Anyway, time to move on and look up, so I'm looking for some advice on a NEW boost controller. I don't want second hand, I'd rather have a lower model.

Just wondering what not-so-expensive boost controller people own as I've no idea.

Not looking to buy cheapest on the market, but don't want it all singing and dancing, I don't need it to calculate equations ;)

Thanks!

The AEM Tru-boost is a digital boost gauge and controller in one 52mm diameter unit. Quite easy to install and set up. I have one and reports I read before buying made it out to be a reliable unit with a good quality solenoid. Some people take the stock time clock out and mount it there.

To be fair you have to understand the difference between bog standard and all singing all dancing as you might find you actually want those features. If you are just after a bog standard x.xxbar of boost then you are as well going with a manual boost controller. The next step up is an electronic boost controller with gain feature. The gain feature, from what I understand, times the opening of the wastegate. If you up the gain, it delays the opening time which means the boost comes in HARD. My car turned into an animal when I went from a MBC to an EBC with gain. The next step up after that is probably in gear boost. The controller will hold different levels depending on which gear you are in. For example 1.6bar in 1st gear is going to be absolutely useless as you will break traction constantly, most likely the same can be said for 2nd. The next step up would be RPM boost control, it works very similarly to the in gear BC and usually in unison with it. As the RPM rises the boost rises depending how you map it. This can make for a much smoother drive and really lets you get the most out of the car traction wise.

Other features include multiple settings etc etc etc. Prices will range from around £200 to around £500 depending what you are after.

The AEM Tru-boost is a digital boost gauge and controller in one 52mm diameter unit. Quite easy to install and set up. I have one and reports I read before buying made it out to be a reliable unit with a good quality solenoid. Some people take the stock time clock out and mount it there.

I would love one of those looked at them before, but not up for spending that much money, they aren't cheap.

To be fair you have to understand the difference between bog standard and all singing all dancing as you might find you actually want those features. If you are just after a bog standard x.xxbar of boost then you are as well going with a manual boost controller. The next step up is an electronic boost controller with gain feature. The gain feature, from what I understand, times the opening of the wastegate. If you up the gain, it delays the opening time which means the boost comes in HARD. My car turned into an animal when I went from a MBC to an EBC with gain. The next step up after that is probably in gear boost. The controller will hold different levels depending on which gear you are in. For example 1.6bar in 1st gear is going to be absolutely useless as you will break traction constantly, most likely the same can be said for 2nd. The next step up would be RPM boost control, it works very similarly to the in gear BC and usually in unison with it. As the RPM rises the boost rises depending how you map it. This can make for a much smoother drive and really lets you get the most out of the car traction wise.

Other features include multiple settings etc etc etc. Prices will range from around £200 to around £500 depending what you are after.

Good advice scott thanks. A star as always :)

I definitely want an electronic boost controller, manual isn't the way for me.

I have seen some extra features on boost controllers like RPM and gear boost control and though I think it's great, for me I just want to run a standard boost controller and learn the feel of my car before I start improving things, even though the traction may suffer with a lower model.

I assume the boost controller will increase the boost coming in, as it keeps the wastegate shut until it reads the correct value, rather than opening slightly, you must increase the performance of the turbo as you use all the pressure rather than loosing it out the wastegate while the spring slowly opens.

Thanks guys

I would love one of those looked at them before, but not up for spending that much money, they aren't cheap.

Good advice scott thanks. A star as always :)

I definitely want an electronic boost controller, manual isn't the way for me.

I have seen some extra features on boost controllers like RPM and gear boost control and though I think it's great, for me I just want to run a standard boost controller and learn the feel of my car before I start improving things, even though the traction may suffer with a lower model.

I assume the boost controller will increase the boost coming in, as it keeps the wastegate shut until it reads the correct value, rather than opening slightly, you must increase the performance of the turbo as you use all the pressure rather than loosing it out the wastegate while the spring slowly opens.

Thanks guys

The lower level EBCs without Gain control are exactly the same as manual boost controllers. The only benefit they have is that they will constantly monitor the boost pressure and keep it at a more even level, the MBC is basically set to a peak so it will rise and fall througout the range. Without the gain control you won't get the power coming in any harder than with a MBC.

The gain control allows you to either open the wastegate up slightly earlier, or slightly later. Working slightly earlier you will get a slower progression of power and depending how low you go you might not even see the desired level of boost. Working slightly later the boost spikes VERY slightly at the beginning pulling in the power HARD. You're turbo isn't in any danger as the turbo isn't working hard down the rev range. A small spike is fine, just don't go nuts and you will be a very happy camper.

I was very happy with the Sard Trigger that I was using, it was a great bit of kit, really simple and did what it said on the tin. I would have had the I-Colour if I could have justified the cost but I couldn't at the time.

just found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEM-THRU-BOOST-GAUGE-TYPE-ELECTRONIC-BOOST-CONTROLLER-/290389153821?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item439c8ad81d

pretty good price to be fair, haven't seen one this cheap.

EDIT: so I need an EBC with gain feature then Scott? This will help spool, so I assume its a decent consideration.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-SARD-Trigger-Boost-controller-EP91-SW20-trd-evc-/350261154260?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item518d3111d4

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

just found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEM-THRU-BOOST-GAUGE-TYPE-ELECTRONIC-BOOST-CONTROLLER-/290389153821?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item439c8ad81d

pretty good price to be fair, haven't seen one this cheap.

EDIT: so I need an EBC with gain feature then Scott? This will help spool, so I assume its a decent consideration.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-SARD-Trigger-Boost-controller-EP91-SW20-trd-evc-/350261154260?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item518d3111d4

Gain would be a must for me but I'm not sure if you will get a feature like that for £200 in a new controller.

The SARD Trigger is the boost controller I had, I sold it onto one of the other members here not so long ago. Great bit of kit IMO.

Do you think it's worth spending the extra pennies for a gain featured EBC, I mean would it make a huge different to the dyno graph being able to shut the wastegate until pressure has increased to set value, would the difference be noticable at 1bar and less (I'm probably looking at 12psi max).

Do you think it's worth spending the extra pennies for a gain featured EBC, I mean would it make a huge different to the dyno graph being able to shut the wastegate until pressure has increased to set value, would the difference be noticable at 1bar and less (I'm probably looking at 12psi max).

The AEM Tru-boost has this feature. On the AEM it's called 'Spring Pressure' - in their terminology... and it does make a huge difference to spool-up.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/tru-boost-boost-controller-gauge-757

Just watched the video, explains how to activate the gain feature and keep the wastegate shut. Recommend's keeping it 3psi less than intended psi, this I assume it reduce spikes. I have a 7psi spring, and hoping for 10psi, to fingers crossed I can set it as my spring pressure. Sweet :)

Thanks for recommendations guys.

Completely agree with Scott, a top of the range EBC with 'gain' feature and the ability to map the boost settings against speed, rpm, throttle position, etc. makes a significant difference to how quickly the turbo(s) spool and allows you to maximise the boost levels through all gears.

Couple more threads on the subject.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?245861-boost-controller-questions&highlight=color

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?246750-Manual-Boost-Controller-VS-Electronic-Boost-Controller&highlight=boost