The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID Recommendations

Abz

Dear All,

I have been search through the forum regarding some HID's threads & the only recently one which I could find regarding some HID group buys were this one, though I thought I'd post a thread in case anyone have other recommendations? Might be useful for anyone searching this topic too.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?220677-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kits&highlight=HID

So anyone have any recommendations? I have facelift headlights so assume I'll be looking at H3 for the dipped beam?

Ideally looking at 6k, also how well are the HID's through the plastic headlights? I previously had Glass lights & they were very good.

I've got bad condensation in one lense at the minute (recurring problem at this time of year that should be sorted when I put the clear lenses in). I've found that the illumination of the road with ordinary bulbs (which is pretty poor in the first place) suffered badly when the lense was yellowed or suffering from condensation, but since fitting the hid's it's not really an issue any more as the illumination is so much brighter/better.

I've facelift lights and bought 6000k's from the group buy on here through Noz.

How much roughly Carlo? My MOT's in January, I might be looking for a replacement! :D

They are only about 25 gpb for a twin pack but the difference between them and normal bulbs is night and day, you get the 501 bulbs free too and delivery!

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=111

• 90% more light than a standard OE bulb
  • Up to 35m longer beam
  • Up to 10% whiter light
  • Up to 50% longer service life (compared to first generation Nightbreaker)
  • Sold in a pack of two bulbs
  • Fully road legal in Europe
  • UV friendly - will not damage plastic lenses
  • 12v 60/55w

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Had an mot done couple weeks ago and was told that they are becoming illegal as of next year. Only case in which they are going to be legal is if you have self levelling headlights apparently. Just what I was told because I had some ordered through the same person

that did the mot.

Quite right too. Aftermarket HID kits are quite often dangerously-fitted and so totally blinding to on-coming motorists.

I agree with the LED buys on eBay, but then came across one seller that sold SMD LED's for about £4 (will try and find the link) they have been in 2 of our cars for at least 18 months!

Ones I have now are in the Supra a few weeks (off Irish guy but $$) but I only use it the weekends and now dont turn on the daytime lights; maybe I just got a bad batch from Hong Kong

But the LEDS behind the Dash are all gone now but the petrol guage; just fed up pulling it apart and having to take out the head lamps to change the bulbs over and over

Ones I have now are in the Supra a few weeks (off Irish guy but $$) but I only use it the weekends and now dont turn on the daytime lights; maybe I just got a bad batch from Hong Kong

But the LEDS behind the Dash are all gone now but the petrol guage; just fed up pulling it apart and having to take out the head lamps to change the bulbs over and over

Taking the lights out all the time is a bit annoying lol

I'm in talks with Heckler to get my dash sorted, but I'm undecided on the HID's or not, has anyone got any pics of the 4000k or 6000k for a comparison??

Thank you all for the informative replies :)

Though could people post links to some recommended products (Apart from who have kindly done so).

Just thought it would be good to keep them in this thread.

I've put these in my mainbeams

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Bulbs-9005-HB3-102-LED-SMD-White-Fog-Light-12V-/220868782586?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336cce29fa

I bought them out of curiosity, but worked pretty well! So I kept them in.

Johnny when you say the main beam, I assume you mean the ones which you use to flash people with?

In so, very I'll be getting them as they seem perfect for the job. :)