The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diff knocking / Wheel hop

HadeS

I have been looking for some info but with no luck.

I have got very deep knocking noice with "jumping" rear after hard load 1st and 2nd. I have even put 2nd diff mount as my car is NA (TT swap now) but with no improvement. Problem only occure when wheels are spinning. After inspection there was no suspicion of broken mounts or bushess.

Any info much appreciative.

It sounds very much like wheel hop, which can be a nightmare to diagnose :(

It's very damaging to the diff and drivetrain so best to get working on the cause and doing your best to avoid it hopping for the mean time.

First off it's best to check the simple stuff first:

- Check all your rear suspension and subframes are torqued up correctly

- Check all rear suspension for play and ensure the balljoints are not beyond Toyota spec (you'll need to partially disasemble the rear suspension to do this)

- Check your damapers and springs are in good working order

- Check the diff backlash (not sure if this is a cause, but it was mentioned when I had the same problems a few years ago)

- Check your rear wheel geometry, tyre pressures and wear

What diff do you have installed?

Are there differences between TT and NA rear end suspension?

Some of the subframe support bars are different but the arms are the same.

Actually, that does raise a valid point - Hades, have you changed the rear dampers and springs to those rated for a TT?

It is LSD from N/A Homer.

Okay, much lower ratio probably won't be helping matters, but there will still be another cause for this

I have put Tein Monoflex all around.

What are the spring and dampers rates set for - NA or TT? Was it specified when you ordered -If not, can you dig out the spec sheet for the kit you were supplied? It should specify the spring rate at the very least.

I don't think this will be a single cause of the wheel hop, that's more likely arm/diff related, but it will play a part.

Good that you've ruled out wheels already, the list is narrowing :)

Just one thing to check - have you gone through a full suspension and subrame bolt torque check after everything has settled & covered a few doezen miles AND with the car sat with the full weight on the rear wheels? (MUST be done to Toyota specs in the service manual, you might be surprised how tight/lose some of them need to be!)

It's only really possible on a 4 poster ramp (or improvised one that can let you get access under the car with all 4 wheels on the ground and the car level).

Im with Chris on TEIN rubbish, i drove a car with super streets fitted and it felt horrible, all bouncy when soft then adjusted to hard was jumping all over the road.

Also i have changed my n/a to tt and have kept my n/a slipper diff with only 1 bush (original 1) and dont really have much if any wheelhop so not sure if it needs the second bush, i have yellow billys fitted with N/a springs, rear tyres are 285 - 35 - 18 R888's and i do like to spin the wheels and also still running my W58.