The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo an n/a

Guest aaran_05

Guest aaran_05

hi, im looking to buy an sz-r 6 speed manual supra, i would like to turbo it at about a year after getting it, how hard is it to do or isnt it worth doing?

thanks

Guest aaran_05

i would like to buy a tt but any mention of turbos and insurance companies usually laugh at me or quote me very unhappy :( as im only 22 lol id be more than happy with an n/a anyway as long as it corners well and has a decent amount of power :D

If it's a 6-speed N/A then it may well be a later model of Supra, in which case a TT transplant might be a better option for you.

N/A-T certainly doesn't offer good value.

If you're worried about insurance then I wouldn't do anything with a turbo if I was you. You'd have to declare it to your insurers anyway wouldn't you?

NA-T just isn't worth the hassle or expence if you want to do it correctly. The TT change is still an option for you after a year and once at BPU levels will, for a lower outlay it will provide the same level of power.

Guest aaran_05

hmm, i really need to see how an n/a goes first, if their fast enough i might not want to turbo it...... anyone fancy taking me for a ride in theirs? lol

hmm, i really need to see how an n/a goes first, if their fast enough i might not want to turbo it...... anyone fancy taking me for a ride in theirs? lol

It will depend on what you are used to. If you're had 200bhp+ cars before then the fun will quickly wear off, but if you're coming from a fwd lower powered car it should keep you happy for a while, especially with he 6spd.

As mentioned, cost wise the NA-T just isn't worth the gains. TT is hugely more cost effective and has a massively more potential should you get bored with 400bhp.

Guest aaran_05

well i drive a 115bhp mini and an EK9 civic type-R at the moment, ive driven a 530i bmw and that feels fast enough for me, so if the supra is similar id be pleased

well i drive a 115bhp mini and an EK9 civic type-R at the moment, ive driven a 530i bmw and that feels fast enough for me, so if the supra is similar id be pleased

It will be a VERY different drive to the mini and civic, if the BMW was a newer petrol model then it'd be very close to that in terms of power delivery.

Guest aaran_05

yep its an 02 bmw, well id still have the mini but the civic would have to go to make way for the supra :( id still want to see how they drive before i definatly decide to get one and sell the civic

id be more than happy with an n/a anyway as long as it corners well and has a decent amount of power :D

It does corner very well as long as it has quality tyres and IMO has a decent amount of power. Loads of guys on here are power power power :D

I've had TT's in the past and now drive a SZ-R model that you are looking at............it will be a good stepping stone to a TT (which you should aim to have one day IMO) and as long as you pick carefully I don't think you would lose too much if you wanted to upgrade to a TT in a year or so.

A mate of mine has an EK9 Type-R. We were both driving afew weeks ago, and both came off a small roundabout and nailed it at the same time. My Supra was just staying with him, and Im not sure I wouldve caught him if we were on some proper twisties.

Ive come to a 6-Speed SZ-R from a year 2000 Celica SS-II (JDM one with the 2zz engine). In all honesty, the Supra is slightly quicker, and IMO harder to drive quickly than a small, light FWD car like the EK9 or DC2. (Maybe Im a sh*t driver.)

Im definitely going turbo, be it by fitting a TT engine to mine, or changing to a turbo model. Obviously having a 6-Speed and diff makes the turbo route all the more appealing...

Cant see anything wrong with what you are looking to do, although Ive heard that n/a cars that are converted to turbo cost more to insure than 'factory' turbos.

It can definitely be more cost effective to buy a FI car in the first place rather than converting later. (6-Speeds cost more though.)

N/a still goes great though! :D

well the 0-60 time of a stock na is "roughly" 6.8sec and the ek9 is 5.9, so the szr is gonna feel more sluggish off the line, but will pull harder in 3rd. EK9 IMO is the better road car, nippier, more economical, soooo much more space, easier to drive fast etc. BUT its doesnt look as good as a supra (aslong as you get a white or black one). i would love an ek9, the ultimate hatchback.

btw i have a 5 speed SZR, lookin to get R32 GTR next tho. as supras dont drift well.:(

*sigh*

5c8tYvV0894

There's plenty more where that came from.

now i see what your saying, but its a fact they are not a good drift car. the wheel base is too short and if you look close at the video the angles hes pulling are so weak, he would get no where in a comp!

unless you spend a fortune, like both the cars you've shown me, you will never drift a stock supra like you can a stock s15 or 32 gtr(with fuse removed):eyebrows:.

have you got any of a supra drifting a mountain pass by any chance? cos i realy would love to see that, supras look sick drifting just cant find enough videos of them.

now i see what your saying, but its a fact they are not a good drift car. the wheel base is too short and if you look close at the video the angles hes pulling are so weak, he would get no where in a comp!

unless you spend a fortune, like both the cars you've shown me, you will never drift a stock supra like you can a stock s15 or 32 gtr(with fuse removed):eyebrows:.

have you got any of a supra drifting a mountain pass by any chance? cos i realy would love to see that, supras look sick drifting just cant find enough videos of them.

Sure, just google "touge Supra" and the first link is this:

TEcN1e4WG8s

well the 0-60 time of a stock na is "roughly" 6.8sec and the ek9 is 5.9, so the szr is gonna feel more sluggish off the line, but will pull harder in 3rd. EK9 IMO is the better road car, nippier, more economical, soooo much more space, easier to drive fast etc. BUT its doesnt look as good as a supra (aslong as you get a white or black one). i would love an ek9, the ultimate hatchback.

btw i have a 5 speed SZR, lookin to get R32 GTR next tho. as supras dont drift well.:(

I do feel that my car pulls harder in 3rd and 4th than the EK9. The EK9 has a Mugen manifold, decat, and Mugen 'Twin-loop' exhaust system, as well as a J's Racing intake and some transmission bits, so its not stock.

Considering how economical the EK9 is, the performance is amazing. Id agree it probably is a better road car than an n/a Supra.

The yellow JUN Supra sounds soooo good, although its definitely not a drift car (My fave Supra vid by the way).