The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fuel pump upgrade

mark newman

For BPU there is no need to change the injectors.

It is advisable to change the fuel pump to a Walbro pump. Ask most of the traders on here, they will sort you out.

At 1.2 bar they'll be almost maxed out. I'd at least stick some 550s on there for prolonged running at 1.2 bar.

It would also be a good idea for the OP to replace his fuel pump with a Walboro or a Bosch 044 (maybe a little overkill).

what do you mean by maximum capacity. the amount of fuel going in

Yes.

Ideally you'd like to be around 80% duty cycle (the %age of maximum your injectors are working at). At 1.2 bar 440s will be close to 100%.

If you breach 100% you will see detonation, which kills engines. Better to be safe IMO.

95%+ (at a guess) bpu cars use the standard 440cc injectors and run just fine. It's adviable to get an AFR gauge to keep a check on things. Mine ran fine on the 440's for 3.5 years and 36k miles using 1.2 bar daily.

If you change injectors you will also need to install a mapable ECU and then get it mapped, it is not a cheap excercise.

Also if using 550's from a UK spec you would need a resistor pack and then wire it into the stock engine harness.

At 1.2 bar 440s will be close to 100%.

At 1.0bar the 440's are at 100% duty - and the engine runs pig rich. Upping the boost to 1.2bar actually leans the mix off to a better ratio.

If you breach 100% you will see detonation, which kills engines.

I don't really have a nice way of saying this but that's not only wrong but technically meaningless as well :) You can't breach 100% duty cycle. It's not some company management phrase, it's a physical measurement of how open they are per 4 stroke cycle. 100% = always open, they can't be "more opener".

There are many things that lead to detonation, but your injectors slipping into another dimension isn't one of that's been noted yet. Of course, running lean is one, but no BPU Supra running at 100% duty has yet achieved this (purely on the basis of that duty cycle alone - plenty have gone bang for other reasons)

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...
I came back here to check something else and found this. Can you provide examples please because I've not heard of this except with unmapped parallel conversion hacks.

-Ian

I've heard of it but would also be interested in hearing some definitive thoughts on it as mine runs pig rich everywhere else and I just assumed it would be fine when the 2nd turbo came in.

I don't really have a nice way of saying this but that's not only wrong but technically meaningless as well :) You can't breach 100% duty cycle. It's not some company management phrase, it's a physical measurement of how open they are per 4 stroke cycle. 100% = always open, they can't be "more opener".

There are many things that lead to detonation, but your injectors slipping into another dimension isn't one of that's been noted yet. Of course, running lean is one, but no BPU Supra running at 100% duty has yet achieved this (purely on the basis of that duty cycle alone - plenty have gone bang for other reasons)

-Ian

:) you're right of course. Breach wasn't the right word for what I was trying to say.