The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Son of Supra will be a hybrid"

michael

According to Auto Express anyway.

Pics show a toned down LF-A (no fans in rear for starters), they reckon it will be on sale in 2008 and that the LF-A is also going to appear in 2009.

The 'Supra' will get a tweaked version of the GS450h 341bhp 3.5 V6 hybrid. 7 speed sequential 'box and 30mpg. They say that the LF-A spotted at the 'ring is more likely to have been the Supra.

Concept is due at Detroit in Jan.

I don't have a scanner setup at the moment but I'll take a photo in a bit so you can see the pics.

:ecstatic:

Slightly dissapointing that figure, not really super car any more that, i would hope the top of the range would be around 400BHP to seperate it from the evos and every other supped up car out there

By the time i can afford one, there should be plenty of turbo/supercharger kits to choose from. :eyebrows:

I think that's the Lexus figure before it's "tweaked", I suspect they will aim for more than whatever Nissan chuck in the new Skyline.

oh right Yeah, thats more like it then. We will be looking at twin turbo offering then prob, 400bhp at least, altough if standard is 342, which is respectable, i reckon a supercharger would be a better option to break 400

Have you seen the concept pics for the new skyline?

I think it looks stunning!

Yeah it looks ace, but its keeping its originally type of styling which means it will only ever look like a slightly special saloon, where as the supra should look like it is now, a super car

Wikipedia has more speculation on a possible engine...

2UR-FSE

A new Toyota Supra is speculated to be released with a 5.0L V8, presumably based on the 1UR-FSE. It is assumed that Toyota will change either the bore or the stroke to create a 5.0 L version. Stroke will be changed to create slightly squarer dimensions to the engine. It is estimated that the bore will be 94 mm and the stroke 90 mm, creating a 4996 cc engine.

The 1UR-FSE shares its bore and stroke dimensions with the 2GR-FSE 3.5 L V6. However, the specifications of the LS460's V8 has less power per litre and less torque per litre than that of the V6 engine. For the Supra though, the hp/L and lb/ft figures of the 2GR-FSE 3.5L V6 engine can be used to roughly assume the power and torque of the 2UR-FSE. The 2GR-FSE has 315 hp (232 kW) and 277 lbf·ft (373 N·m), so it can be assumed that the 2UR-FSE will have power of approximately 450 hp (335 kW), a figure which has already been claimed by many motoring journals as the approximate power of a new Supra, and torque of approximately 400 lbf·ft (540 N·m), which would seem about right considering the target figures from Toyota for the 1UR-FSE.

Or on the 2GR section...

2GR-FE

The 2GR-FE is a 3.5 L (3456 cc) version. Bore remains at 94 mm but stroke is reduced to 83 mm. Output is 268 hp (200 kW) at 6200 rpm with 248 ft.lbf (336 Nm) of torque at 4700 rpm. This version features Toyota's "dual-VVT-i", variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams.

2GR-FSE

The 2GR-FSE engine used in the 2006 Lexus IS 350 incorporates Toyota's D4-S twin injection system. This system combines gasoline direct injection with traditional port injection. Using direct injection and port injection simultaneously facilitates more precise mixing of air and fuel under low and medium load conditions for greater efficiency, while high load conditions dictate the use of direct injection alone for maximum power. The 2GR-FSE engine is rated at 315 hp (232 kW) at 6400 rpm and 377 Nm (277 ft.lbf) at 4800 rpm. The 2GR-FSE is one of Ward's Auto 10 Best Engines for 2006. The 2GR-FSE has also been slated for possible use in the upcoming 2008 Toyota Supra (which is to be released October 2007) but tuned to the output of 350-bhp@7000rpm and 290 ft/lbs of torque@5000rpm.

Here's hoping for a 2UR-FSE.

hmm, can't say i like the look of it much at all. has no classic lines (curves) like the Supra.

Too angular imo, no idea what they were thinking.

actually, if it reminds me of anything, looks like something a Cylon from original Battlestar Galactica would drive. even reminds me of the armour they wore.

looks wouldn't make me buy one, only the performance, tbh.