The mkiv Supra Owners Club

People who don't know what they are doing...

Chris Wilson

Had a Supra in with a single on, and the owner had had a raft of different people *iss about with electrics, fuelling, "mapping" blah blah, and he himself had screwed a lot of it together. The whole thing was a bleedin' mess, but I was less than pleased when it attempted to set fire to my workshop, and I got burnt putting the engine bay out. Turns out he had priced some injector seals up, decided they were too expensive, and rifled the O ring box at his local hardware store. The reason the correct ones are expensive is that they are FUEL RESISTANT, don't swell and split, and don't set light to the &%$@ing car.

So please, if you don't want your machine to be the next insurance claim, refer to the correct info before deciding that an O ring is an O ring.

Maybe look here:

http://www.marcorubber.com/material_chart.htm

what about 'bling' silicon hoses that are not supposed to have hot liquids flowing through them?

...or 'uprated' fuel rails that have not been tested in an environment with vibrations - so they develop tiny cracks spraying fuel mist under pressure?

[/killjoy]

I'm fine, I had a proper extinguisher to hand, first time I have had to use one in years, but it makes you glad you DO have one, know where it is, and it's working... Little damage to the bay, just some charred insulation on the injector loom and a LOT of powder mess from the extinguisher. Thankfully I killed the engine as soon as flames were seen and heard, as putting out a rail still under pressure is a not an easy task, I'm led to believe. So a near total write off due to saving literally a few quid on the wrong bits.

Nah, I felt sorry for the lad, he was on a tight budget, bought a load of *hit off Ebay, got various "mates" to do stuff, most appallingly badly, some criminally insane stuff, and generally he was having his first lesson in why complex cars that cost 30 plus K new in the early 90's are NOT cheap to mod and tune properly. Been there myself, know the feeling, took pity and sent him on his way via Relay. He can't afford to sort it at the moment, so he's sitting tight until he decideds the best way forward, (probably another fire, but at his gaff, not mine...:))

Just checked that website as I was going to be looking for o'rings for my fuel system over the next day or two, so this is excellent timing for me. Not so for you though.

Anyway I'm a bit confused. On the materials table they say that "Buna N" o'rings only rate a 3 with regards to fuels (3 meaning poor). However if you click on "Buna N" material it says

Standard Nitrile is also known as Buna-N. Excellent resistance to petroleum-based oils and fuels, water and alcohols.

So what's it to be good or no good? Perhaps it's this kind of confusion that ends up with people with poorly matched components.

Seriously though, anyone know what o'rings I shoud be using, and also if there is a UK supply of them?

Nah, I felt sorry for the lad, he was on a tight budget, bought a load of *hit off Ebay, got various "mates" to do stuff, most appallingly badly, some criminally insane stuff, and generally he was having his first lesson in why complex cars that cost 30 plus K new in the early 90's are NOT cheap to mod and tune properly. Been there myself, know the feeling, took pity and sent him on his way via Relay. He can't afford to sort it at the moment, so he's sitting tight until he decideds the best way forward, (probably another fire, but at his gaff, not mine...:))

You felt sorry for him and told him to 'go forth...' love it!

Now I see why you talked me out of big singles last year, and why you've seen so many go "bang".